• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wishing All Christians Here a Spiritually Fulfilling Lent

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Lent starts tomorrow, so I would like to wish all Christians here who observe it a fruitful and spiritually fulfilling period.

(This is the first time I have ever given Lent wishes, so if my message could include better-worded wishes, please let me know! The only thing I know is that Lent is not supposed to be a happy or festive religious season.)

Bthoth

*banned*
Lent starts tomorrow, so I would like to wish all Christians here who observe it a fruitful and spiritually fulfilling period.

(This is the first time I have ever given Lent wishes, so if my message could include better-worded wishes, please let me know! The only thing I know is that Lent is not supposed to be a happy or festive religious season.)
The happy part is Jesus is claimed to overcome the bad of 40 days.

The sad part is the prescribed death even if it is claimed to be a sacrifice.

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you!

And now my obligatory...

In a recent post on his site, Dr. Taylor Marshall, a former Episcopalian priest who is now Catholic, collected the rules for [Mediaeval] Lenten penance as described by St. Thomas Aquinas:
  1. Ash Wednesday and Good Friday were “black fasts.” These consisted of taking only one meal per day of bread, water, and herbs, after sunset.
  2. Other days of Lent: no food until 3pm, the hour of Our Lord’s death. Water was allowed, and as was the case for the time due to sanitary concerns, watered-down beer and wine. After the advent of tea and coffee, these beverages were permitted.
  3. No animal meats or fats.
  4. No eggs.
  5. No dairy products (lacticinia) – that is, eggs, milk, cheese, cream, butter, etc.
  6. Sundays were days of less liturgical discipline, but the fasting rules above remained.
This general prohibition of eggs and milk during Lent is perpetuated in the common custom of blessing or making gifts of eggs at Easter, and in the English usage of eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday – a way to use up the eggs and milk before the Lenten fast. Hence the colloquial term still used by some today of “Pancake Tuesday.”

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Thank you!

And now my obligatory...

In a recent post on his site, Dr. Taylor Marshall, a former Episcopalian priest who is now Catholic, collected the rules for [Mediaeval] Lenten penance as described by St. Thomas Aquinas:
  1. Ash Wednesday and Good Friday were “black fasts.” These consisted of taking only one meal per day of bread, water, and herbs, after sunset.
  2. Other days of Lent: no food until 3pm, the hour of Our Lord’s death. Water was allowed, and as was the case for the time due to sanitary concerns, watered-down beer and wine. After the advent of tea and coffee, these beverages were permitted.
  3. No animal meats or fats.
  4. No eggs.
  5. No dairy products (lacticinia) – that is, eggs, milk, cheese, cream, butter, etc.
  6. Sundays were days of less liturgical discipline, but the fasting rules above remained.
This general prohibition of eggs and milk during Lent is perpetuated in the common custom of blessing or making gifts of eggs at Easter, and in the English usage of eating pancakes on Shrove Tuesday – a way to use up the eggs and milk before the Lenten fast. Hence the colloquial term still used by some today of “Pancake Tuesday.”

That's how Coptic Orthodox Christians where I live fast, too! I know some vegetarians and vegans who ask for "fasting food" (a common term here for food suitable for Christian fasting) at restaurants because it also meets their own dietary criteria.

Glaurung

Denizen of Niflheim
I had a small piece of salami with my breakfast yesterday completely forgetting that it was Ash Wednesday. It was only after I had eaten my muffin that I realized what I had done. I still feel guilty about it. I'm going to have to make up for it by being extra diligent this Lent.