• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Will Today's College Grads be Tomorrow's Politicians?

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Unfortunately, I find the average bachelor degree to be essentially meaningless at this point. It has been greatly watered down by necessity of everyone having one in hopes to obtain a job that will pay the bills.

Masters' degrees are headed in the same direction.

Academic excellence, and "book smarts", is something I do value in politicians. It is acutely important in higher levels, in which the politican needs to be able to grasp many diverse concepts, to be articulate, and simply, not to make all Americans look like baffoons. Ability to succeed in school is one way to measure this. It is not the only important criteria, but one I will continue to look for.

Kilgore Trout

Misanthropic Humanist
There's education and there's education. The Republican leadership may have a lot of business and law degrees, for example, but they're almost universally scientifically illiterate -- and have a pretty poor grasp of history as well, now that I think about it...

I find, regardless of one's arbitrary ideological biases, education is useless without intelligence, honesty, and wisdom. More education, or other types of education, don't fix this.