• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild idea?

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
But as I said the Bible has been trashed for many people, beginning with the idea that the Bible cannot be justification for the Bible. What rubbish.
Well you are easily pleased. Do you use this criteria (because it says or claims so) for any other such texts or just this one? :oops:

Brian2

Veteran Member
Well you are easily pleased. Do you use this criteria (because it says or claims so) for any other such texts or just this one? :oops:

What criteria?
I see the Bible as a collection of documents from different people in different parts of history that tell of prophecies and speak of their fulfilment as history, with hundreds of such prophecies.
Are there other texts that do that?
But I do see the Bible as having been trashed in that it's historicity and integrity has been questioned and it has even been made official in some circles that the Bible is rubbish. I'm not in those circles however and tend to look at the reasons for the positive view more than the negative view while other seem to read the negative reviews without reference to the other side of the story.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Of course the bible can't be justification for the bible, that's just silly. I've read the bible, and that was the start of the end of my belief in Christianity. It's an inconsistent, self-contradictory mess.

I see the prophecies in one part that are fulfilled in other parts as good justification and I see probably less contradictions that you do because I know that most can be explained well and that most are not really contradiction even if they look like it on the surface.

square-peg-round-hole-gif.gif.gif

That's fine, many theologians see the first 11 chapters of Genesis as prehistoric myths.
I could go down that road and read the creation as poetry that was not meant to be taken as history, but it just looks like it was meant to be history to me.
I of course do not see all of what science says about evolution as correct necessarily, but whichever view Christians or Jews have of the creation story it does not stop them from being Christians, or Jews.
Some people read the creation story and compare it to evolution however and that turns them away from the Bible altogether, which is unfortunate imo.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
What criteria?
I see the Bible as a collection of documents from different people in different parts of history that tell of prophecies and speak of their fulfilment as history, with hundreds of such prophecies.
Are there other texts that do that?
But I do see the Bible as having been trashed in that it's historicity and integrity has been questioned and it has even been made official in some circles that the Bible is rubbish. I'm not in those circles however and tend to look at the reasons for the positive view more than the negative view while other seem to read the negative reviews without reference to the other side of the story.
Well the existence of Islam, and any other faiths that came after Christianity might tell against the perfection of the Bible - why the necessity for such? I wouldn't rubbish the Bible, but I would prefer that many see it in the context of so many other religious texts - and not be so picky over the good, the bad, and the ugly. :oops: The existence of these other texts presumably is enough for believers in such as proof.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Well the existence of Islam, and any other faiths that came after Christianity might tell against the perfection of the Bible - why the necessity for such? I wouldn't rubbish the Bible, but I would prefer that many see it in the context of so many other religious texts - and not be so picky over the good, the bad, and the ugly. :oops: The existence of these other texts presumably is enough for believers in such as proof.

Yes people believe other texts also.
I'll stick with the Bible however. I haven't seen any other to compare in an objective way, if believing the Bible historically and the truth of the fulfilled prophecy can be seen as objective.
It is probably working backwards.
I believe the Bible and in it I also see evidence that what I believe is the truth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless it is a fraud of course, but that would be a conspiracy on a grand scale.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Yes people believe other texts also.
I'll stick with the Bible however. I haven't seen any other to compare in an objective way, if believing the Bible historically and the truth of the fulfilled prophecy can be seen as objective.
It is probably working backwards.
I believe the Bible and in it I also see evidence that what I believe is the truth,,,,,,,,,,,,,,unless it is a fraud of course, but that would be a conspiracy on a grand scale.
I still think that many would see such as just a choice though, and often dependent upon where one was born and/or how much religion was in one's early life. Which tends to be the two main reasons for why most people have any particular faith.

Brian2

Veteran Member
I still think that many would see such as just a choice though, and often dependent upon where one was born and/or how much religion was in one's early life. Which tends to be the two main reasons for why most people have any particular faith.

True.