• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wild Flowers

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
I spent yesterday trying to organise pictures and stumbled across some wild flowers photos I had taken. I don't know what most of them are but I think they're all Australian natives.

I think these are a type of ground orchard.

DSCN8777.JPG

DSCN8778.JPG

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
If you know how to and are on your phone, you can usually kind of find out by doing a Google Reverse Image Search of the pictures you post.

For example, the first picture comes up with this:

Wurmbea dioica - Wikipedia

As for the second picture, it shows a different type of Wurmbea.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Thank you @John53 , i adore wild flowers. And spend many a happy hour walking the banks of the river an looking at the flora.

When they start blooming again in a couple of months I'll post some

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
Thank you @John53 , i adore wild flowers. And spend many a happy hour walking the banks of the river an looking at the flora.

When they start blooming again in a couple of months I'll post some

I got interested in flowering trees especially eucalypts a couple of years ago because they attract birds and read a couple of books on the topic. It's amazing how the humble gum tree has influenced evolution.

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Really nice pictures @John53. I like plant ID and wildflowers too. Always a fun part of hiking is running across familiar and unknown plants and flowers.

John53

I go leaps and bounds
Premium Member
The blossom looks similar to Tradescantia species from the US, but that genus isn't native to Australia. After looking, I believe it is a Patersonia in the family with irises.

Yep, I remember now, it's a native iris. I have a similar one that's called a fringe lily, I'll have to dig out the pic...

Was easier than I thought cause I'd posted it to a FB plant ID group. Thsyanotus patersonii or common fringe lily.

18921830_10212471067987944_1824780057789391138_n.jpg

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
That is the only one I ever recall seeing.
According to our conservation department, Missouri has four native iris species. One that I have found and three others, including a species called the "copper iris", that I have not seen.

The native species that I am familiar with here is called a blue flag and has an blossom appearance consistent with planted varieties. It's pretty and blue/purple.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Hard to find much info but it appears that I'm at the northern edge of their range.
Even when in the range of a species, you can't always find them. Personally, I hypothesize that plants are like the Weeping Angels on Dr Who. They move when you aren't looking at them.

We Never Know

No Slack