• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wiccan

Starlight

Spiritual but not religious, new age and omnist
Maybe I will become a Wiccan.. I have thougt about it some time now.. I really like the wicca religion. I do not know.. but maybe I soon is a wiccan.. A wiccan ominist. Ominst is the belief that no religion is the truth but that truth is found in them all.

Erebus

Why is the history sketchy? I do not know the history of wicca

Early Wicca was heavily inspired by the witch-cult hypothesis. The very short version of the hypothesis is that the people killed during Europe's various witch trials were actually members of a pre-Christian religion that revered a horned god. Christians labelled this god Satan and persecuted his worshippers.

Gardner and other early founders of Wicca claimed to have either made contact with surviving members of the religion or claimed that they had a hereditary connection with it. The witch-cult hypothesis has been pretty thoroughly debunked, which makes those claims untrue.

I will say though that while Wicca may not be the continuation of an ancient religion, that doesn't mean it's without value. If it interests you, by all means look into it. Just perhaps be cautious of people who claim to possess some form of ancient ancestral knowledge.

Sirona

Hindu Wannabe
Dunno. Just as many men consider themselves the better sex and take "the Light" for themselves, Wiccans on the flipside seem to me to be too fixated on "the feminine" and "the darkness". Without doubt, Wicca has many good ideas, but I have never really felt truly at home on "the Dark side". :confused:

Last edited:

Heyo

Veteran Member
Why wasn¨t wiccan for you? Im just curious :blush: you do not have to answer
I know a few pagans who started in Wicca and left. They state as reason that Wicca is too hierarchical and too strict. They left (mostly) Christianity because it was too incrusted.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
I started inquiring into Wicca when I first became a Pagan, it can be a good jumping off point to other avenues, or a wonderful home.

I found it to female centric and gendered, and I didn't like that. I also didn't like Gardner's history/backstory, but I realize now that I am older that that is honestly not relevant to whether or not he presented decent theology, which I feel he did.

VoidCat

Pronouns: he/him/they/them
I think a lot of Wiccans acknowledge that Gardner was shifty as crap, and misappropriated a lot of different cultures. He was also homophobic and a misogynist.
Yeah the theology I liked a bit and wouldve stayed anyway despite the history. But it was too gendered for me and that was the main reason

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
I'm new to Wicca after being a Christian for 30 years. Wicca is completely new and fascinating to me, and I feel good learning about it. I'm emotionally scarred from my experiences as a Christian, and I'm still healing from the trauma of it. So, I don't want to make a hasty emotional commitment to another religion. I'm exploring Wicca and Spiritualism right now, and I'll see where it takes me.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I'm new to Wicca after being a Christian for 30 years. Wicca is completely new and fascinating to me, and I feel good learning about it. I'm emotionally scarred from my experiences as a Christian, and I'm still healing from the trauma of it. So, I don't want to make a hasty emotional commitment to another religion. I'm exploring Wicca and Spiritualism right now, and I'll see where it takes me.
"Come to the dark side - we have candy."