• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Wiccan problem

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
I'm having a disagreement irl with a *friend*.

She is a "4th Generation" Witch, that we know of. Her family has no problems with me or my faith. But she has,and it stand in our way.

She claims that I can't call myself a Levant Wiccan, as, she seees it, just a rehash of Pre-Babylonian Judaism with a bit of Christianity thrown in. She also says that I'm either A) stretching the truth what wicca is about or, B) I have no clue what Wicca is about. And this frustrate me.

She says wicca has only "one" God and Goddess, each with 3 characteristics, And my Gods and Goddess' "only" have one. She also says that a lot of stuff that makes wicca is not found in my Pantheon.

Thus I've got a question. What makes Wicca, Wicca in your Eyes. And what is the difference between Polytheism and Wicca

:sorry1: for rambling on

WayFarer

Rogue Scholar
If I may....
The primary problem with Wiccan tends to be its followers.
From almost its inception (or modern incarnation) Wicca has a very loose definition. As such it allows every follower to basically redefine it for their needs. This sort of tailored theology is then placed under the canopy of "Wicca" and the way they view Wicca to be. This is not the problem. The problem comes with ego and trying to exclude others from Wicca or convert them to a specific way of thinking. The "on average" layout of the "average" Wiccan belief system seems to be...

• The Divine: Usually split into "male" and "female". There may be several of each, but they are usually seen of either aspects of the primary male or female or aspects of a higher divine source which is the combination of halves.
  • Magic(k): The ability to get stuff done through not widely accepted (scientific/psychological) means. This usually plays a part. This magick may spring from within, be latent around you, or a gift from the god(s) for your understanding/following their ways.
  • The Afterlife: Usually involves reincarnation, but may include between life stopovers. Sometimes this is to lead to the eventual reconnection with the Divine source of All.
If your beliefs fall somewhere like that you could put your faith under the Wiccan umbrella. However if you are trying to do an actual reclamation/reconstruction of a preexisting religion and its practices... Get away from Wicca. Do what the Astruar do with their faith (Asatru) and do your homework and call it either what it was called before or whatever is appropriate.
I hope I was not too harsh. I have seen this before and little can be done to convince your friend of anything she doesn't want to believe in... but isn't that always the way.

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I would say that Wicca is a living, nature based religion, in which both God(s) and Goddess(es) are respected or worshiped as the higher power.

You will get people that try to find fault with your way, as doing so makes them feel like they are better. Some people argue that since I am not in a coven that I cannot be Wiccan. I laugh at them because I know what I share with my Deities. Those types of people are being noticed (negatively) by more than just your Deities.

xkatz

You are a Wiccan I would say because you believe in nature and a God/Goddess. Your friend is wrong I would say because Wicca has very few definitive beliefs. A lot of what you incorporate is up to you.

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
If I may....

• The Divine: Usually split into "male" and "female". There may be several of each, but they are usually seen of either aspects of the primary male or female or aspects of a higher divine source which is the combination of halves.
My Pantheon is Made up of a lot of males and females. There is well 2 that stand at the head but they don't really rule, they leave it to the other Gods

• Magic(k): The ability to get stuff done through not widely accepted (scientific/psychological) means. This usually plays a part. This magick may spring from within, be latent around you, or a gift from the god(s) for your understanding/following their ways.
That mutch I follow.
  • The Afterlife: Usually involves reincarnation, but may include between life stopovers. Sometimes this is to lead to the eventual reconnection with the Divine source of All.
No. In the "religion" I follow when you die, You go to the after-life, and Your body becomes Mot's Food

te_lanus

Alien Hybrid
Wicca is a polytheistic religion. What do you mean by difference?
Polytheist: A polytheist is a person who acknowledges, worships, venerates, and/or honors more than one deity.

Duotheist or Dualtheist: an individual who venerates two deities, for example​
"The Goddess" and "The God" as found in Wiccan ideology.​

Hope this help clarifying my question

Draka

Wonder Woman
Polytheist: A polytheist is a person who acknowledges, worships, venerates, and/or honors more than one deity.

Duotheist or Dualtheist: an individual who venerates two deities, for example​
"The Goddess" and "The God" as found in Wiccan ideology.​

Hope this help clarifying my question

Is not two more than one? Is not a "dualtheist" a polytheist? And Wiccans don't just have the Lady and Her Lord. They acknowledge and honor other gods and goddesses as well and even with the Lady and Lord they recognize the different manifestations/aspects of Them. Maiden/Mother/Crone and Protector/Consort/Father and many more. I guess I still don't see what you are asking. How does Wicca not qualify as polytheism in some way as to say there is a difference between Wicca and polytheism? I'm confused. :confused:

Baydwin

Wicca is a very diverse belief system, or rather a set of diverse traditions. Your friend probably belongs to a tradition that is set in it's ways and unwelcoming to syncretists. There is no reason why you can't incorporate Wiccan beliefs/practices into your belief system, at least no rules about it in the wider Wiccan systems that I am aware of.