• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Would Noah's Flood Have Been the Best Way for God to Cleanse the Earth?

Audie

Veteran Member
You didn't understand symbolic, did you.
As my Mom taught English lit after earning her
PhD at Edinburgh, I have heard about such as
divers literary conceits.
Elsewhere Ive encountered persons
so conceited that they figure their chosen
Bible- readin' is the only True one.

Fallen Prophet

I was doing some research on another topic that I had been thinking about, however, I read this quote in one of the articles that I was reading:

Even after the Fall, it makes sense that these weather variations were minimally different. But with the global Flood that destroyed the earth and rearranged continents and so on, the extremes become pronounced — we now have ice caps and extremely high mountains that were pushed up from the Flood (Psalm 104:8). We now have deserts that have extreme heat and cold and little water.​

click here: State of the Water Vapor Canopy Model | Answers in Genesis

Therefore, after reading that, what I would like to ask those who believe in the Genesis account about the flood: Why would the flood have been the best and the most efficient way for God to have cleansed the earth of the saturated evil that existed at that time? Considering all the extreme changes and consequences that are supposed to have occurred as a result of the flood.
Why is baptism by water the best and the most efficient way for God to cleanse us of our saturated evil?

Brian2

Veteran Member
If he magically poofed man, the Earth, and everything into existence, he should be able to poof a troublesome mistake out of existence just as easily.
Apparently he enjoyed dramatic spectacles, though.

What I wonder is, after ridding the world of a faulty model, why did he repopulate it with the same, unaltered model?
You know what they say about people who repeat acts hoping for different results...

His purpose was not to kill all humanity, just to suppress the excessive evils around at the time. imo
His purpose was to save as much of humanity as He could and the flood ended up being probably a necessary part of that so that a more righteous people might arise from which the Messiah would be born. imo

Colt

I was doing some research on another topic that I had been thinking about, however, I read this quote in one of the articles that I was reading:

Even after the Fall, it makes sense that these weather variations were minimally different. But with the global Flood that destroyed the earth and rearranged continents and so on, the extremes become pronounced — we now have ice caps and extremely high mountains that were pushed up from the Flood (Psalm 104:8). We now have deserts that have extreme heat and cold and little water.​

Therefore, after reading that, what I would like to ask those who believe in the Genesis account about the flood: Why would the flood have been the best and the most efficient way for God to have cleansed the earth of the saturated evil that existed at that time? Considering all the extreme changes and consequences that are supposed to have occurred as a result of the flood.
It wasn't God that drown the entire earth, it was the Hebrew authors who were finalizing Genesis during the Babylonian captivity. In their attempt to trace their bloodlines back to the Adam of Mesopotamian lore, they encountered great difficulty with the genealogy So, they decided to drown the entire earth in its own wickedness. An authoritative line of decent for the priest class is what they established. They would have used a locally know flood legend and expanded it to encompass the entire know world.

As if the story isn't bad enough one might ask why God drown all the humans but kept the Satan creature alive to continue the corruption???

74x12

I think it's clear that God didn't want the world to be perfect. Man can't live on bread alone but on every Word that proceeds from the mouth of God.

robocop (actually)

Premium Member

What would be a better way than the flood?

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
I mean that it had to be done in a way that looked natural to the people of that time.
If God suddenly appeard on earth doing things that was not according to the natural law, humans would no longer need a belief in God, they would know for certain. And would be unable to enlighten to the truth, by cultivation of their mind.
This doesn't really make sense ...
So if God showed himself and everyone knew he existed, how would that be a hindrance to finding the truth? It seems to me, it would actually be providing a truth about the universe.

David Davidovich

Believing Genesis does not mean believing a literal six 24 hr days about 6000 years ago.
Is the flood meant to have been the best way or just the way God chose?

Well, since it is believed that God is perfect and that all his ways are perfect, then that would dictate that the flood was the best way for God to cleanse the earth at that time.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
This doesn't really make sense ...
So if God showed himself and everyone knew he existed, how would that be a hindrance to finding the truth? It seems to me, it would actually be providing a truth about the universe.
In my understanding, because to become like God, we our self would have to change our thoughts, our words and speech, but if we saw God we would just ask God to "fix us" instead of doing the job our selves.
By not knowing we stretch our own ability to become better in a different way.
( my answer is just how i understand it)

SkepticThinker

Veteran Member
In my understanding, because to become like God, we our self would have to change our thoughts, our words and speech, but if we saw God we would just ask God to "fix us" instead of doing the job our selves.
By not knowing we stretch our own ability to become better in a different way.
( my answer is just how i understand it)
So when people just believe that Gods exist, we work to improve ourselves because we realize nobody is going to do it for us?
But if people know Gods exist then they give up trying to improve themselves because we think God will just fix us?
Is that right? Because that doesn't make sense to me either.

David Davidovich

If he magically poofed man, the Earth, and everything into existence, he should be able to poof a troublesome mistake out of existence just as easily.
Apparently he enjoyed dramatic spectacles, though.

Good point.

What I wonder is, after ridding the world of a faulty model, why did he repopulate it with the same, unaltered model?
You know what they say about people who repeat acts hoping for different results...

From what I understand about some interpretations of Genesis 6 is that there was a unique situation going on where rebellious angels from heaven looked down on earth and became sexually attracted to the women on earth and violated God's will and came down and married these women and produced hybrid offspring through those unions and the earth became filled with violence from the super strong hybrids. Therefore, from what I understand, the model was supposed to have been altered from that situation.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So when people just believe that Gods exist, we work to improve ourselves because we realize nobody is going to do it for us?
But if people know Gods exist then they give up trying to improve themselves because we think God will just fix us?
Is that right? Because that doesn't make sense to me either.
There is a lot of faith within the spiritual path too. It is not just one thing, thats why it is so difficult to gain deep understanding.

That you dont find any sense in it is not something i can fix for you :) i can only speak from my own understanding (and i could be wrong)