• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would God's ultimate power come with ultimate responsibility?

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
No, that is illogical.

It's perfectly logical.

Say you - or God - have a choice: you can either do a thing or not do the thing. If you do the thing, the world will end up one way... let's call it X. If you don't do the thing, the world will end up a different way... let's call it Y.

The difference between X and Y - is what you - or God - caused.

A car manufacturer builds a car that can go very fast, way over the speed limit.
A man buys that car and drives it way over the speed limit and that man crashes and kills a carload of people.
It is not the car manufacturer who is to blame, it is the man who bought the car and drove recklessly.

Both caused the crash.

If the car manufacturer hadn't made the car, there would have been no crash.

If there was a trial, the car manufacturer would not even be brought into a courtroom. Only the man who drove the car way over the speed limit and crashed would be responsible.

Car manufacturers are shielded from lawsuits by laws made specifically to protect them because if carmakers were held liable for the reasonably foreseeable consequences of their products, it would be impossible for any carmaker to stay in business.

Even so, lawsuits do happen sometimes.

God would not be culpable or responsible because God's foreknowledge does not CAUSE anything to happen..

You sound confused.

The foreknowledge doesn't make anything happen; it would just inform God's actions.

God doing a thing would make him responsible for the effects that flow from the thing.

God having foreknowledge of those effects would make him culpable for them if he chose to do the thing.

God did not cause the car in the above example to crash.

If we're going from the assumption that God created the world and humanity according to his design, then there are only two possibilities:

- the design is functioning as intended. God deliberately created a world where car crashes would happen. In this case, God is definitely both responsible and culpable for the crash.

- the design is not functioning as intended. God designed a world where car crashes wouldn't happen, but the design has failed in some way so that they happen anyway. God has created a flawed design and is therefore a flawed designer. God is responsible for the outcome, but whether he's culpable depends on a number of factors.

Correct, but only for what He caused.

But if your theology is right, God caused absolutely everything.

Case in point:
Parents are responsible for their children because they caused them to come into existence by procreating, but after their children grow up and are on their own the parents are no longer responsible for their children.

... because human parents' foreknowledge is limited.

If someone knew that if they had a kid, the kid would grow up to be a serial killer, but decided to have the kid anyway, the parent would be morally culpable for their child's murders.

It's that fact that we don't have the ability to see the future that excuses human parents.

God would only be culpable for what He caused.
God is not culpable for what He knows will happen.

Let's say that I know that my husband is going to die of cancer since he was diagnosed and that was the prognosis.
Am I culpable for his death just because I know he is going to die?
Again: you sound confused.

An example that might help get the idea across:

Imagine you're in your car, stopped at a red light. The light turns green, so you decide to go.

Unbeknownst to you, a speeding school bus on the cross street is going to run the red light. It hits your car, rolls, and everyone on board dies. Did you do anything wrong? No.

But let's switch the scenario up: imagine that, while you were stopped at the light, you knew that if you went on the green, that bus crash would happen and all those kids would die. Would you step on the accelerator right away, or would you wait until after the bus is clear? What's the reason for your choice?

Truthseeker

Non-debating member when I can help myself
If we're going from the assumption that God created the world and humanity according to his design, then there are only two possibilities:

- the design is functioning as intended. God deliberately created a world where car crashes would happen. In this case, God is definitely both responsible and culpable for the crash.

- the design is not functioning as intended. God designed a world where car crashes wouldn't happen, but the design has failed in some way so that they happen anyway. God has created a flawed design and is therefore a flawed designer. God is responsible for the outcome, but whether he's culpable depends on a number of factors.
Here you are being illogical to defend your position. How about the possibility of free will of the driver, which God for His reasons thought was best. I'm not going to argue with God. Your perspective will differ, of course.

Nimos

Again, what God knows has nothing to do with whether or not we have free will.
God's knowledge does not cause us to do anything, not anymore than an astronomer's knowledge of when and where an eclipse will take place causes that eclipse to take place.

If you are making a claim that God's knowledge prevents us from choosing a or b or c then you need to explain why that would be the case.
How would what God knows what we will choose prevent us from choosing one thing or another? There is no logical connection between what God knows and what we choose. The reason God knows what we will choose is because God is all-knowing. It is as simple as that..
But this is not the same.

If you take an astronomer's knowledge about an eclipse, this is not foreknowledge. It is based upon the ability to predict something set in motion long ago based on some data that we have learned to interpret, meaning physical laws. The same way that the astronomers based on the current data available can tell you where the moon will be in 1000 years, yet the moon might be destroyed in 500 years due to some huge meteor hitting it that he didn't know about.

You can compare it to watching a movie. God's knowledge doesn't prevent anything, it simply couldn't happen any other way. In a movie, you can go back and forth but it will never change. So even if you don't know what will happen in the next scene, God will because he has seen the movie an infinite number of times :D. You can easily be surprised and hope for certain things to happen in it, but the movie will play out exactly as it was created.

Our ability to make choices comes from a combination of factors such as childhood upbringing, heredity, education, adult experiences, and present life circumstances - everything that goes into making us the person we are. All of these factors are the reasons why we choose one thing or another at any point in time. What God knows we will choose has nothing to do with what we choose. All-knowing is an attribute of God.

How free our choices vary with the situation. Recently I have changed my mind about how free we are when I realized just how limited I am in making choices different from the choices I am making now. I believe that free will is deterministic because the choices we make are 'determined' by a combination of factors such as childhood upbringing, heredity, education, adult experiences, and present life circumstances.
I agree that these things are what impact us. But the argument goes, that the reason you are feeling this way is because you were influenced by things throughout your life, that caused you to reach whatever conclusion. Yet all the things that impacted you, were likewise caused by other things. And as above, eventually, you end up at the beginning.

Im not saying that this is true, again given my argument about the potential of emergent properties, which could allow for a partly deterministic Universe.
But again, I think you run into issues with God, because God is fully deterministic or at least some sort of bridge between my argument and that of God would be required as I see it.

The reason we only have the 'potential' for free will is because free will is constrained by so many factors. For example, potentially I could adopt out all my cats and no longer have the problems I have because of them, but because of my childhood and adult experiences that made me the person I am today and because of my present life circumstances I cannot choose to do that.
Yes and no, it is not what my argument leans on.

It's more than atoms might be fully deterministic, yet properties that emerge from these might not. So even if we could predict all atoms, these might allow for several emerged properties, which might not be predictable at all, because these emerged properties are not written into the atoms themselves or even their structure. So when I say yes, is because I agree that childhood etc. plays a part. But also even if we could raise two people in the exact same environment (everything you can think of is exactly the same) they might turn out differently. I don't think they would be completely different, because I believe there is a natural benefit for humans to be alike. Which is also why we group up etc. We like to be like others and be part of a group, but that is another discussion :D

It is true that we are not in control of many things that happen in our lives but I have changed my mind about randomness. I don't think anything happens at random, I think everything is either the result of a free will choice someone made or it was predestined (fated) by God.
I would probably agree, obviously not with the God part :) But in regard to randomness, I think it might very well be an illusion as well, simply us not having enough data.

For example, I got hit by a car while riding my bike to work back in 2005, and that was the result of a choice a man made to talk on his cell phone rather than paying attention to what was on the road. I did not choose to get hit but that was my fate, as it was predestined to happen, and it happened because of a choice someone else made.
Yeah, you called it fate, I call it being at the wrong place at the wrong time. But there wasn't anything random about it, you rode your bike the time you did, the man drove his car at that moment, the phone ran etc. If we magically tracked back all the things leading up to the point where you got hit, I think we would reach the conclusion that it was logical that it happened, simply because we would have all the data available.

It is probably more the choice of "word" we use more than anything else.

Note that it says it “can succeed” not that it “will succeed.”
What that amounts to is that we are completely at the mercy of God... ;)
That doesn't surprise me, because if it was "will succeed" then that would prove God, or at least be an extremely strong argument and as an atheist I would welcome that :D

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Here you are being illogical to defend your position.

What's illogical about anything I said?

How about the possibility of free will of the driver, which God for His reasons thought was best. I'm not going to argue with God. Your perspective will differ, of course.
Free will is irrelevant to God's responsibility.

Even if God gives people the ability to choose between - or to act or not act on - their desires, the decisions about what those desires are and what the physical consequences of acting on those desires would be are still under God's control... which would mean that God could still manipulate the situation to create any outcome he wanted.

And in any case, a God with perfect foreknowledge would be able to foresee people's "free will" choices.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
It's perfectly logical.

Say you - or God - have a choice: you can either do a thing or not do the thing. If you do the thing, the world will end up one way... let's call it X. If you don't do the thing, the world will end up a different way... let's call it Y.

The difference between X and Y - is what you - or God - caused.
Not doing something (X) results in something else (Y) happening, but not doing X did not cause Y to happen.

Britannica Dictionary definition of CAUSE. 1. [count] : something or someone that produces an effect, result, or condition : something or someone that makes something happen or exist. His symptoms had no apparent physical causes. She is the cause of all their problems.

Cause Definition & Meaning | Britannica Dictionary

Both caused the crash.

If the car manufacturer hadn't made the car, there would have been no crash.
If God had not made humans, nothing would happen in this world.
God made humans with the ability to make choices so humans are responsible for the choices that they make.
Justice systems all over the world are predicated on the premise that humans have free will and the ability to make choices.
You sound confused.

The foreknowledge doesn't make anything happen; it would just inform God's actions.

God doing a thing would make him responsible for the effects that flow from the thing.

God having foreknowledge of those effects would make him culpable for them if he chose to do the thing.
God is only responsible for what God actually does.
Tell me how you can know what God does, other than creating everything in the universe.

God having foreknowledge of human actions does not make God culpable for those human actions.

God designed a world where humans have free will to build cars and car crashes can happen since people drive cars and people can make choices that can cause accidents to happen.

God is in no way culpable for the car crashes that are the result of human actions. That is why God is never help liable in ANY court of law.
But if your theology is right, God caused absolutely everything.
No, in my theology God did not cause anything that has happened after the world was created. Humans have caused everything that has happened after the creation of the world.
... because human parents' foreknowledge is limited.

If someone knew that if they had a kid, the kid would grow up to be a serial killer, but decided to have the kid anyway, the parent would be morally culpable for their child's murders.

It's that fact that we don't have the ability to see the future that excuses human parents.
God knows everything that is going to happen, both good and bad, but God does not cause anything to happen by knowing it will happen.

“Every act ye meditate is as clear to Him as is that act when already accomplished. There is none other God besides Him. His is all creation and its empire. All stands revealed before Him; all is recorded in His holy and hidden Tablets. This fore-knowledge of God, however, should not be regarded as having caused the actions of men, just as your own previous knowledge that a certain event is to occur, or your desire that it should happen, is not and can never be the reason for its occurrence.” Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 150
Again: you sound confused.

An example that might help get the idea across:

Imagine you're in your car, stopped at a red light. The light turns green, so you decide to go.

Unbeknownst to you, a speeding school bus on the cross street is going to run the red light. It hits your car, rolls, and everyone on board dies. Did you do anything wrong? No.

But let's switch the scenario up: imagine that, while you were stopped at the light, you knew that if you went on the green, that bus crash would happen and all those kids would die. Would you step on the accelerator right away, or would you wait until after the bus is clear? What's the reason for your choice?
If I knew that the bus was going to run a red light I would wait until the bus cleared the intersection.
But if I had not known and an accident happened the bus driver would be at fault for causing the accident.

What's your point? God knows everything bad that humans will ever do so God should prevent all bad things from happening by controlling human behavior?

Why should God prevent humans from doing bad things? This is a question you have no answer to except "because I don't like bad things."

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Free will is irrelevant to God's responsibility.
Free will is completely relevant because God gave man free will so man could make their own choices.
God has no responsibility for human behavior.
Even if God gives people the ability to choose between - or to act or not act on - their desires, the decisions about what those desires are and what the physical consequences of acting on those desires would be are still under God's control... which would mean that God could still manipulate the situation to create any outcome he wanted.
Sure, God could manipulate peoples' choices, but why would God have given people free will to make choices if God had planned to manipulate their choices? That makes no logical sense.

On top of that, God is unaffected by the choices humans make, only humans are are affected, so why would God want to manipulate human choices?
And in any case, a God with perfect foreknowledge would be able to foresee people's "free will" choices.
Sure God foresees them, but give me one good reason why God should intervene.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Free will is completely relevant because God gave man free will so man could make their own choices.
God has no responsibility for human behavior.

Sure, God could manipulate peoples' choices, but why would God have given people free will to make choices if God had planned to manipulate their choices? That makes no logical sense.

On top of that, God is unaffected by the choices humans make, only humans are are affected, so why would God want to manipulate human choices?

So that God's own actions are ethical and moral.

You say that he doesn't do this; fair enough. The implication of your position is that God is unethical and immoral, at least to some degree.

Sure God foresees them, but give me one good reason why God should intervene.

Do you ever find it strange how much of your theology involves excuses for why God behaves as if he doesn't exist?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So that God's own actions are ethical and moral.

You say that he doesn't do this; fair enough. The implication of your position is that God is unethical and immoral, at least to some degree.
Why would it be ethical and moral for God to manipulate human choices?
Do you ever find it strange how much of your theology involves excuses for why God behaves as if he doesn't exist?
Actually, God does not have behavior because God is not a human or an animal.
God does things by the power of His will. God wills things to happen and then they happen according to His will.

What do you think God would do if God existed?
How do you could know what God is doing?
Would God do what you want Him to do or would God do what He chooses to do?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
But god does not have any behavior...
No, God does not have behavior. I see you have been listening.

What is behavior?​

Posted by Noldus Team on Fri 03 Mar. 2023 - 4 minute read

Behavior is a fundamental aspect of human and animal life, and includes patterns of behavior, reactions, and activities that individuals or groups exhibit in relation to their environment. The term 'behavior' refers to the observable and measurable activities of humans and animals, ranging from simple reflexive actions to complex cognitive processes.

Only the anthropomorphic Bible God has behavior, and that is why people believe that God has behavior.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Why would it be ethical and moral for God to manipulate human choices?

Any divine design would involve manipulation of human choices.

"Free will" has nothing to do with the specifics of human frailty. You generally won't die from falling two feet, but you'll generally die from falling off a ten-storey building. If you're right and God designed this world, then this was just one deliberate manipulation by God of the world we're in right now.

Actually, God does not have behavior because God is not a human or an animal.
God does things by the power of His will. God wills things to happen and then they happen according to His will.

I'm not engaging with this nonsense again.

Whatever your mental block is about the words "behave" and "behaviour" is, it's your problem to solve.

From now on, whenever I apply the term "behaviour" to something your God does, just mentally replace it with whatever term you think is appropriate for describing what God does.

What do you think God would do if God existed?

I think God would do things without regard to whether they're detectable to humanity, so some of those things would have detectable effects.

How do you could know what God is doing?

Sorry - this question isn't coherent.

Would God do what you want Him to do or would God do what He chooses to do?

My point wasn't about God; it was about religion.

Your religion - like most theistic religions - is much more consistent with a universe where the god you believe in doesn't exist than it is with a universe where your god actually exists the way your religion describes.

(IMO)

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Any divine design would involve manipulation of human choices.
Why would it? Why would God want to manipulate human choices?
"Free will" has nothing to do with the specifics of human frailty. You generally won't die from falling two feet, but you'll generally die from falling off a ten-storey building. If you're right and God designed this world, then this was just one deliberate manipulation by God of the world we're in right now.
I never claimed that everything that happens to humans in this world is the result of free will choices. I believe that some things that happen to us are subject to free will and some things are not, because they were predestined by God and we have no control over them. That is called fate.

All things that are not chosen by virtue of our own free are beyond our control and I believe they are predestined by God. In my opinion, God is responsible for both the Good and the Bad things that happen to us, if those things were not freely chosen.

“Some things are subject to the free will of man, such as justice, equity, tyranny and injustice, in other words, good and evil actions; it is evident and clear that these actions are, for the most part, left to the will of man. But there are certain things to which man is forced and compelled, such as sleep, death, sickness, decline of power, injuries and misfortunes; these are not subject to the will of man, and he is not responsible for them, for he is compelled to endure them. But in the choice of good and bad actions he is free, and he commits them according to his own will.”
Some Answered Questions, p. 248

Man is compelled to endure the Bad things that happen because God set it up that way since we live in a material world where some of the Bad things happen are beyond our control. Some of these Bad things are caused by the free will decisions of other people and some of them are simply accidents, misfortunes and diseases. These are our destiny, our fate, for which God is responsible.
I think God would do things without regard to whether they're detectable to humanity, so some of those things would have detectable effects.
I believe that God does things that are not detectable to humanity, and some of those things affect us, but we cannot know if those effects are a result of something God did, since we can never know what God is doing. Prayer would be a good example. We can never know if what happened was an answer to a prayer or it it would have happened anyway.
Sorry - this question isn't coherent.
It seemed like a pretty straightforward question to me.
If God was doing something (however God does things) how do you could know what God is doing? How could anyone know?

Believers believe that God sends Prophets and Messengers but they cannot know that.
My point wasn't about God; it was about religion.

Your religion - like most theistic religions - is much more consistent with a universe where the god you believe in doesn't exist than it is with a universe where your god actually exists the way your religion describes.

(IMO)
So what you are saying is the God that we describe (loving, just, etc.) does not seem to exist. I cannot argue against that since I don't like religions assigning attributes to God, as if they could ever know that God has those attributes.

It also doesn't seem like a loving God would create a world like this, knowing how much suffering would result. It also does not seem just to be that some people have to suffer so much more than others, through no fault of their own.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
You could easily conceive of some variety of god that lacks ultimate responsibility.

But if it is somewhat similar to the Abrahamic conceptions of gods, then it is also a very flawed god - if a god at all.

ppp

You could easily conceive of some variety of god that lacks ultimate responsibility.

But if it is somewhat similar to the Abrahamic conceptions of gods, then it is also a very flawed god - if a god at all.
The Greek gods lack ultimate responsibility. They are, at best, super human in both strength and flaws.