• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would Christians believe in witches?

Viker

Häxan
Problem with whether to believe witches exist or not is that as you can see in this thread, nobody knows what is it so wrong with witches that is what did they do so wrong so that they deserved being burned on stake after being tortured for days on torture machine.

everything has it's reason for punishment and no revenge is in vain.
No one deserves torture or baseless execution. The OP addressed Salem where only innocent people were tortured and murdered (so called "executed"), not a single witch among them.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Let me ask you - what administration do you believe exists to match your magical intent to magical results? Are the results consistent enough to warrant belief in such an administration? And if you feel belief is warranted, but results are not consistent, do you believe that there is such an administration that is picking and choosing which works to grant results to, and which not?

Administration? Magick is innate to everyone. Not administered by some entity or Deity.

"Magick is the art of utilizing natural forces around us to bring about change. Magick is neutral, neither good, nor evil. The practitioner decides how they would like to focus this natural energy."

Magick is built into the Universe itself.

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Most likely? Nothing. Pretending. Or hoping. Possibly influencing your own psyche or another's.

That is Magick. To influence the self or another, through works of ones Will.

Check my signature by Dumbledore.

Edit: Is prayer pretending? Reciting mantras or affirmations pretending? What about Holy Communion? These are all magickal acts.

Last edited:

Viker

Häxan
Do you know who was responsible for torturing and burning of the witches?

I give you only one chance for correct answer :)
Since no witches were burned, no one.

What happened in Salem was about the bringing together of fear, superstition and unchecked group think. In all likelihood, this was behind it all everywhere.

Why would Christians believe in witches?

Why would they not? Witch is a person who practices witchcraft and by what I know people that do so exist. Different matter is do they have any influence and does it have any effect on Christians.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Well, just what it says. "Believe in witches" as in believing that they have the ability to cast spells and turn people into newts - that sort of thing.
That's not what witchcraft is.
Biblically witchcraft is forbidden.

"When you enter the land the Lord your God is giving you, do not learn to imitate the detestable way of the nations there. Let no one be found among you who sacrifices his son or daughter in the fire, who practices divination or sorcery, interprets omens, engages in witchcraft, or casts spells, or who is a medium or spiritist or who consults the dead. Anyone who does these things is detestable to the Lord, and because of these detestable practices the Lord your God will drive those nations before you. You must be blameless before the Lord your God. The nations you will dispossess listen to those who practice sorcery or divination. But as for you, the Lord has not permitted you to do so. "Deuteronomy 18:9-14

The Lord has rejected you because you welcome foreigners from the East who practice magic and communicate with evil spirits” (Isaiah 2:6).

There are only two sources of spiritual power: God and Satan.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Do you think witches should be tortured and executed?
No. That's old testament justice. We are not under that covenant anymore. I don't understand the burning thing because historically it would have been stoning to death... but again that's not what Christians are told to do about sorcery. We are to simply avoid it.
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions.

17 When this became known to the Jews and Greeks living in Ephesus, they were all seized with fear, and the name of the Lord Jesus was held in high honor. 18 Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed what they had done. 19 A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly.

It's something we must leave behind to follow Jesus.

F1fan

Veteran Member
No. That's old testament justice. We are not under that covenant anymore.
Does this mean you believe witches are real? Or just that it was an old belief that was never true?

I don't understand the burning thing because historically it would have been stoning to death... but again that's not what Christians are told to do about sorcery. We are to simply avoid it.
So you admit your fellow Christians were wrong about that. Who is to blame for this disinformation?

19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions.

17 When this became known to the Jews and Greeks living in Ephesus, they were all seized with fear, and the name of the Lord Jesus was held in high honor. 18 Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed what they had done. 19 A number who had practiced sorcery brought their scrolls together and burned them publicly.

It's something we must leave behind to follow Jesus.
And what does it mean to follow Jesus, in your opinion?

F1fan

Veteran Member
No one deserves torture or baseless execution. The OP addressed Salem where only innocent people were tortured and murdered (so called "executed"), not a single witch among them.
Even the sane Christians saw it as murder, not justice, and they protested.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Then Christians shouldn't do witchcraft.

Do you think witches are real?

This is an implausible religious claim, not a fact.
I believe Satan's power is real, so anyone who worships something other than the true God has the potential to have that power control them.

F1fan

Veteran Member
Among other things it means allegiance to God as the only spiritual authority and power you allow in your life.
This is exceptionally vague.

What does "allegiance to God" mean?

What does "spiritual authority and power" mean?

And how do these influence your behavior for the better? Give examples.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
This is exceptionally vague.

Not if you understand scripture.
What does "allegiance to God" mean?

What does "spiritual authority and power" mean?

And how do these influence your behavior for the better? Give examples.
You don't understand the word " allegiance"?
You don't understand the word " authority" or " power"?
"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”

F1fan

Veteran Member
Not if you understand scripture.
You mean to understand any number of vastly different interpretations. If I remember correctly you understand Genesius as a literal explanation to the origins of the earth and all other things, and to well educated people they understand Genesis as a set of allegories. So when a believer claims to understand scripture this means they have a preferred interpretation of many, none of which are fact-based.

You don't understand the word " allegiance"?
You don't understand the word " authority" or " power"?
See how misleading you can be? I didn't;t ask for definitions of words, I asked you to explain your meanings of phrases. Phrases are collection of words. That you avoided any sort of explanation suggests you have no clear understanding of what you believe. I'll give you a second chance, but I think you are fearful of any challenges like this.

"Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to mankind by which we must be saved.”
Irrelevant dogma.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
See how misleading you can be? I didn't;t ask for definitions of words, I asked you to explain your meanings of phrases. Phrases are collection of words. That you avoided any sort of explanation suggests you have no clear understanding of what you believe. I'll give you a second chance, but I think you are fearful of any challenges like this.
Nonsense. When you dismiss anything I say about spiritual things as irrelevant dogma it makes one wonder what point there is in throwing pearls before swine.
The God of scripture is my authority on spiritual matters. He is perfectly represented in Jesus who not only battled the satan face to face but spoke of him as a real entity. In the context of this thread the issue is who one gives allegiance to, the prince of this world or the Prince of Peace. That's why a real Christian avoids sorcery of all kinds. No honor is due to Satan and all honor is due the Savior of mankind.