• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why would Christians believe in witches?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Witches are real. They don't dress like the ones at Halloween but there's certainly people who practice witchcraft. So what do you mean by " believe in witches?"

firedragon

Veteran Member
I've thought of this topic in the past, although was reminded of it when coming across this story in the news:
329 years later, last Salem 'witch' who wasn't is pardoned | AP News

One of the stranger, more inexplicable atrocities in our history. I never could understand why Christians would have even believed in the existence of witches. If they believe in Christianity, wouldn't that mean that they would see other religions - including the power of witchcraft and magic - as false?

Wouldn't their fear of witches (or anything they see as the "occult") indicate that they believe in that kind of power? If so, then is that an acknowledgement that the God they believe in is powerless to protect them from such a power, thus necessitating them taking action on their own?

I cant remember who wrote about it. But there was a writer who said that any woman who was trying to be a little independent or assertive could have been simply accused of witchcraft and killed.

Maybe it was strategic to prolong the women's subservience.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady
I've thought of this topic in the past, although was reminded of it when coming across this story in the news:

One of the stranger, more inexplicable atrocities in our history. I never could understand why Christians would have even believed in the existence of witches. If they believe in Christianity, wouldn't that mean that they would see other religions - including the power of witchcraft and magic - as false?

Wouldn't their fear of witches (or anything they see as the "occult") indicate that they believe in that kind of power? If so, then is that an acknowledgement that the God they believe in is powerless to protect them from such a power, thus necessitating them taking action on their own?

The Witch of Endor is a biblical character.

Riders

What happened to our Pagan and Witchcraft people here? It's a true religion, it is real but it is not Satanism.

Viker

Häxan
What happened to our Pagan and Witchcraft people here? It's a true religion, it is real but it is not Satanism.
I'm around.

Witchcraft itself isn't a religion. Wicca is, however, a neo-pagan religion based in the practice of witchcraft. Some forms of Satanism practice witchcraft as well. My little local tradition, In Diabolica, is close to polytheistic Satanism. It could be considered diabolism and dark neo-pagan, also. Witchcraft is a universal practice in which no religion or tradition owns or can claim for itself.

Viker

Häxan
I cant remember who wrote about it. But there was a writer who said that any woman who was trying to be a little independent or assertive could have been simply accused of witchcraft and killed.

Maybe so. The hats, cauldrons and broomsticks probably came from the styles of women proprietors from Elizabethan times and later.

A lot of women went into business for themselves especially with brewing and selling their own beer.

Imagine, women in business and making their own money?! Pure Satanic blasphemy! :p

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
All revelations talked about the evil order of Iblis and the sorcerers tied with demons under him.

That doesn't seem to have much connection to reality though. It seems to be the kind of thing modern folk project back on the past based on assumptions that women were more oppressed than they actually were (of course women were significantly discriminated against though).

The height of the witch trials overlapped with many powerful women in Europe, and, while there was obviously a lot of sexism in this era, there was equally much sexism in the time before the witch trials.

This was the "Renaissance" not the supposedly backward "Dark Ages".

firedragon

Veteran Member
Maybe so. The hats, cauldrons and broomsticks probably came from the styles of women proprietors from Elizabethan times and later.

A lot of women went into business for themselves especially with brewing and selling their own beer.

Imagine, women in business and making their own money?! Pure Satanic blasphemy! :p

I guess so. But I need to confirm to myself. I am no expert in this.

firedragon

Veteran Member
That doesn't seem to have much connection to reality though. It seems to be the kind of thing modern folk project back on the past based on assumptions that women were more oppressed than they actually were (of course women were significantly discriminated against though).

The height of the witch trials overlapped with many powerful women in Europe, and, while there was obviously a lot of sexism in this era, there was equally much sexism in the time before the witch trials.

This was the "Renaissance" not the supposedly backward "Dark Ages".

Great. Thanks.

Stonetree

Model Member
Premium Member

Christians believe in Christianity because they were led to that belief by other Christians. I assume other Christians led them to accept that witches needed to be exterminated as if they were the plaque. Anything you do "In the Name of God" must be right.....Who wants to be shunned for refusing to take part "In God's Work"?

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
She was a painting? ;)

More of a sketch. The one in black

Nance_Redferne__Chattox.jpg

Bathos Logos

But I use it fairly often. So it's got to exist to some extent, no?

Otherwise what am I doing?
Most likely? Nothing. Pretending. Or hoping. Possibly influencing your own psyche or another's.

Let me ask you - what administration do you believe exists to match your magical intent to magical results? Are the results consistent enough to warrant belief in such an administration? And if you feel belief is warranted, but results are not consistent, do you believe that there is such an administration that is picking and choosing which works to grant results to, and which not?

paradox

(㇏(•̀ᵥᵥ•́)ノ)

Problem with whether to believe witches exist or not is that as you can see in this thread, nobody knows what is it so wrong with witches that is what did they do so wrong so that they deserved being burned on stake after being tortured for days on torture machine.

everything has it's reason for punishment and no revenge is in vain.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member

Because the Bible hints at their existence.

And I mean. If they believe God spawned a child who sort of died three days long to save us from an imaginary disease, then, well, why not believe in witches, too? I would say the sky is the limit to what they can potentially believe.

Ciao

- viole