• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why was the DiVinci Code so bad?

Bishka

Veteran Member
According to a poster

Great, thanks for that info...

What, concerning his role in the Da Vinci Code, would make his membership in the Orthodox church at risk ???

I was also dismayed he participated in such a produuction, as I am also disappointed in Ron Howard for producing it.

Why is it 'such a production'? Excluding acting, etc., Why is this storyline so horrible?

FFH

Veteran Member
Why is it 'such a production'? Excluding acting, etc., Why is this storyline so horrible?
This may sound weird, but I heard a prominent Christian preacher, I forgot who said it, say that the Da Vinci Code was something God had allowed to happen, so we would bring this issue up to the forefront of our discussions concerning Christ and who he is and was while on this earth.

Was Christ married, many would like some definite answers to these questions.

When research into Dan Brown's claims were traced to their source, it was found that there was no merit to them. Each lead ended up nowhere, with either forged documents or no documents to support his claims.

His book was fiction based on his claimed fact, which proved to be also fiction...

No one has proved or has any documentation that Christ ever married or had any children, no one...

With a lack of evidence we can assume he never married..

I'm many will also say that we have no evidence he wasn't married either, but seriously can we prove a negative ???

Christ has given us (his church) clues that we (church) are his bride and he is the groom and we will meet him soon and sit down to the "Marriage Supper of the Lamb" and drink and eat to our hearts content with him in a heavenly place..

According to the "Parable of the Ten Virgins," if I read and interprete it correctly, half of us (Christ's church) will not be ready when he comes for us the first time (morning of the first resurrection).

There is hope for a second resurrection (afternoon of the second resurrection), when all who are Christ's will be redeemed from this earth and from the grave..

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
From an Orthodox point of view, it was a collection of a startling number of heresies portrayed as fact. I couldn't care less who watches or believes that dross, but no Orthodox Christian in good standing should have been involved in it - hence my comments about Tom Hanks. Given the blatant misrepresentation of certain aspects specific to the Roman Catholic faith (such as the portrayal of Opus Dei), they probably would have even more than I to say on the matter.

James

doppelganger

Through the Looking Glass
The book is a fun airplane read. Today's "orthodoxy" is yesterday's "heresy," so from my perspective, I really couldn't care less about the whole heresy aspect.

The problem with the movie is that it was humorless and too concerned with its plot. You can get away with a paucity of humor in a mystery novel, but not on the big screen. For myself, I found it difficult to connect with and personally relate to the characters because the script was so plot driven.

People connect with stories about people more than stories about stories.

A

angellous_evangellous

I didn't think that DaVinci was bad at all...

there's no accounting for taste, I guess

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I personally liked the movie. The things that made me wonder were the role of Mary Magdelene to Yeshua and how I would love to get my hands on some of those writings the the Councile Of Nicea decreed unworthy of being assembled into a bible. But really....wasn't it just a movie? Why is it being taken so seriously?

Phil Lawton

doppelgänger;900620 said:
The book is a fun airplane read. Today's "orthodoxy" is yesterday's "heresy," so from my perspective, I really couldn't care less about the whole heresy aspect.

The problem with the movie is that it was humorless and too concerned with its plot. You can get away with a paucity of humor in a mystery novel, but not on the big screen. For myself, I found it difficult to connect with and personally relate to the characters because the script was so plot driven.

People connect with stories about people more than stories about stories.

Exactly, DG.

I treated the book as a work of fiction (which it is) and it was entirely palatable.

His other stuff smells of dead squirrels' nadger sacks, though. Avoid.

Draka

Wonder Woman
No one has proved or has any documentation that Christ ever married or had any children, no one...

I'm many will also say that we have no evidence he wasn't married either, but seriously can we prove a negative ???

Which is the negative? I mean, in a day at time, for what he was, it would have been normal for him to marry and procreate. Being a confirmed bachelor, remaining unmarried, would be the anomaly wouldn't it? There's no proof that he was a bachelor either. Just saying.

Bottom line though is that it was a work of fiction. Entertaining and captivating for many people. I see no difference in that book and movie than in the movie Dogma except that one was a comedy and one was not.

Mathematician

Reason, and reason again
This may sound weird, but I heard a prominent Christian preacher, I forgot who said it, say that the Da Vinci Code was something God had allowed to happen, so we would bring this issue up to the forefront of our discussions concerning Christ and who he is and was while on this earth.

Was Christ married, many would like some definite answers to these questions.

When research into Dan Brown's claims were traced to their source, it was found that there was no merit to them. Each lead ended up no where, with either forged documents or no documents to support his claims.

His book was fiction based on his claimed fact, which proved to be also fiction...

Christ has given us (his church) clues that we (church) are his bride and he is the groom and we will meet him soon and sit down to the "Marriage Supper of the Lamb" and drink and eat to our hearts content with him in a heavenly place..

According to the "Parable of the Ten Virgins," if I read and interprete it correctly, half of us (Christ's church) will not be ready when he comes for us the first time (morning of the first resurrection).

There is hope for a second resurrection (afternoon of the second resurrection), when all who are Christ's will be redeemed from this earth and from the grave..

It's kind'a hard to find valid documentation about one's spouse when one doesn't have valid documentation... but yes. :D

Random

The DaVinci Code might have been bad religion for some, but for others (like me) it was good entertainment.

Also, don't be so easily dismissive: much of the "fallen Woman" myth which surrounds the story of M. Magdalene is derivative of the Sophia odyssey from Gnosticism, and in the tale Sophia is the Bride of Christ and representative of the Sacred Feminine.

What I'm saying is that Dan Brown's take on things has @ least the same ammount of merit as any other esoteric Christian tract...and that's just being kind. :)

Runt

It's like an idiot's version of Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco. It lacked the historical grounding, the complexity and the artistry of Eco's work and tried to make up for it with theatrics. Yuck.

methylatedghosts

Can't brain. Has dumb.
Meh, I liked the book for the fact it was a book, and I felt like reading something.

Movie wasn't bad. Wasn't good either. Kind of middle of the road for me.

Whether or not it was true, it was fun to imagine it was all true. Was kind of fun to try to imagine how different this world might be if Jesus did get married/had a kid and everyone knew about it.

Imagine finding out you're a descendant! Those would be some big shoes to fill! Imagine the people lining up on your doorstep asking you to take away the boo-boos in their life, asking you to forgive them LOL.

Dammit, now you've got me imagining a new movie "The son of God who couldn't"

*chuckles quietly*

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
I would love to get my hands on some of those writings the the Councile Of Nicea decreed unworthy of being assembled into a bible.
You mean those non-existent imaginary writings?

For the umpteenth time, the Council of Nicea did not even consider the issue of the canon of Scripture far less settle it (the first council to try and do that wasn't until much later) and didn't ban or suppress any texts whatsoever. Where on earth does this complete nonsense come from? Just because the ignorant incessantly repeat the accusation doesn't make it true, it's just a good indicator of who has the barest grounding in Church history - anyone who claims that Nicea suppressed texts is basically wearing a sign that says 'Ignore everything I say because I haven't a clue'.

James

Reactions: FFH

FFH

Veteran Member
You mean those non-existent imaginary writings?

For the umpteenth time, the Council of Nicea did not even consider the issue of the canon of Scripture far less settle it (the first council to try and do that wasn't until much later) and didn't ban or suppress any texts whatsoever. Where on earth does this complete nonsense come from? Just because the ignorant incessantly repeat the accusation doesn't make it true, it's just a good indicator of who has the barest grounding in Church history - anyone who claims that Nicea suppressed texts is basically wearing a sign that says 'Ignore everything I say because I haven't a clue'.

James
:clap :clap

Buttercup

Veteran Member
I think the majority of people who got riled up about The DaVinci Code did so because the idea of Christ being married and having children is completely heretical in their eyes as the bible doesn't mention marriage or children. I think most Christians would prefer to keep Christ a virgin.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
The author, Dan Brown, stretches his reader's credibilty by placing a relatively ordinary guy in extraordinary political and dangerous circumstances. That's his "thing" in terms of writing, and it's "bad" in that it's hard to suspend disblief for some of the more outrageous circumstances. It's professor doofus becomes superspy-guy.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Interesting how a piece of work that was written as fiction, labeled as fiction, marketed as fiction, and yes, even sold as fiction, is suddenly supposed to be "factual."
I wonder why no one has taken the same line of reasoning to The Lord of the Rings movies.
After all, they too were written as fiction, labeled as fiction, marketed as fiction, and sold as fiction, yet why is there not the same ruckus over them...?

James the Persian

Dreptcredincios Crestin
Interesting how a piece of work that was written as fiction, labeled as fiction, marketed as fiction, and yes, even sold as fiction, is suddenly supposed to be "factual."
I wonder why no one has taken the same line of reasoning to The Lord of the Rings movies.
After all, they too were written as fiction, labeled as fiction, marketed as fiction, and sold as fiction, yet why is there not the same ruckus over them...?

Nowhere in the Lord of the Rings is the claim made that it is based on fact - the Da Vinci Code makes precisely those claims about its central claims. In other words it might be fiction but it is touted as historical fiction when it's anything but.

James