• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Urantia Book is nonsense...

Faint

If you don't know what this is, the Urantia Book is "a spiritual and philosophical tome that discusses God, science, religion, history, and destiny". There is of course a religion based on it (which seems unavoidable considering the popularity ofother, Tom Cruise-supported works by science fiction writers and alien-based movies such as "E.T.", "Star Wars", and "Star Trek").

Anyway, I haven't seen much talk of this book on RF, so I thought I'd start a thread to debate it's validity...although it's highly likely I'll be talking to myself on this.

In Paper 101, "The Real Nature of Religion," it is written:

"We full well know that, while the historic facts and religious truths of this series of revelatory presentations will stand on the records of the ages to come, within a few short years many of our statements regarding the physical sciences will stand in need of revision in consequence of additional scientific developments and new discoveries. These new developments we even now foresee, but we are forbidden to include such humanly undiscovered facts in the revelatory records. Let it be made clear that revelations are not necessarily inspired. The cosmology of these revelations is not inspired."

It makes no sense that celestial beings could inspire a human to write truthfully about historic “facts” and supernatural (“religious”) “truths”…but they could not manage to convey the relatively simple scientific truths that were discovered only a few years later by modern researchers. This passage is clearly the authors attempt at a disclaimer…it is as if to say “if it’s later discovered that I don’t know what I’m talking about, well then, it’s true—I don’t know what I’m talking about—and therefore I do know what I’m talking about.” Clever, but transparent. It’s similar to the common liar’s ruse in which, when pressed on his lie the liar will admit to some, seemingly insignificant fallacy…sacrificing a little face so that the rest of his story is hopefully believed.

More criticisms of the science in the book (source: wikipedia)
  • The formation of the solar system is consistent with the Chamberlin-Moulton planetesimal hypothesis. Though popular in the early part of the 20th century, by the early 1940s it was discarded by Henry Russell's argument that it was incompatible with the angular momentum of planets such as Jupiter. The currently accepted scientific explanation for the origin of the solar system is based on the nebular hypothesis.
  • A fundamental particle called an "ultimaton" is proposed, with an electron being composed of 100 ultimatons. The particle is not known to be described anywhere else and the concept is not supported by modern particle physics.
  • Some species are said to have evolved suddenly from single mutations without transitional species. The theory originated with Dutch botanist Hugo De Vries but was short-lived and is not now supported.
  • According to The Urantia Book, colored human races originated suddenly in one generation and in one family, producing brothers and sisters that variously turned blue, yellow, red, green, orange, and indigo when exposed to sunlight. Their offspring favored the parent color subsequently. Later, Adam and Eve produced a violet race. In the book's account, the superior races were violet, blue, yellow, and red, and the other three were inferior. The green and orange races were driven to extinction, and the rest mixed over time. Modern evolutionary theory does not support the account. (Although Rainbow Bright cartoons do!—Faint)
  • The book repeats the idea prevalent at the time of its origin that one side of the planet Mercury always faces the sun due to tidal locking. In 1965, radio astronomers discovered that Mercury actually rotates fast enough for all sides to see exposure to the sun. (celestial beings should have easily been able to figure out whether or not Mercury rotates…being in outer space and all.—Faint)
  • The book says that a solar eclipse was predicted in 1808 by the Native American prophet Tenskwatawa. The eclipse actually was predicted in late April of 1806 and occurred on June 16, 1806. (You can google these dates if you care.—Faint)
  • The book can be interpreted as saying that sunlight is "highly heated and agitated electrons." Solar radiation consists of photons, however, not electrons. [It is] odd that the term "photon" is not used in the book. It was coined in 1926.
Seems to me that the celestial beings didn’t know what they were talking about one way or another, which in my opinion discredits any other “truths” asserted in this sci-fi novel.

cardero

Citizen Mod
Faint writes: Anyway, I haven't seen much talk of this book on RF, so I thought I'd start a thread to debate it's validity...although it's highly likely I'll be talking to myself on this.
The only thing I know about the Urantia Book is that if I am not mistaken it is a big book (possibly bigger than the Bible) inspired by celestial BEings.

It is a book that I have been looking for because i would like to read it.

And Super Universe's banner portrays the word Urantian, so I do not think this thread will go undiscussed.

Rejected

Under Reconstruction
I've thought it was BS since I learned of it, but its big and I'm lazy and I don't feel like reading it in order to dismiss it as nonsense; I can do that without reading it.

I'm sure it has some interesting commemtary, but it still requires beleif in the extaordinary without proof.

Kudos to you Faint for not being as lazy as I am and starting a thread on this.

Can't wait to see who turns up.

Halcyon

Lord of the Badgers
I looked into it a while ago, but i found it too odd and too full of error to take seriously.

I reckon there are two possible origins of the book, either a group of people worked on it, or (if you believe the story surrounding its dictation) its a case of automatic writing.

I don't understand why people who want to write a religious themed book, perhaps a collection of their religious thoughts, then feel it necessary to attribute that book to celestial beings of some sort.

Ðanisty

The only thing I know about the Urantia book is that it's caused Super Universe to think I worship God when I'm actually a Luciferian.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
cardero said:
The only thing I know about the Urantia Book is that if I am not mistaken it is a big book (possibly bigger than the Bible) inspired by celestial BEings.

It is a book that I have been looking for because i would like to read it.

And Super Universe's banner portrays the word Urantian, so I do not think this thread will go undiscussed.
Yes, it's a big book. It's still available if you want to get a copy.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I started to wade through the Uranita Book when I was quite young. I think I got through maybe 5 chapters before it became too scary to read. One thing fascinating about it was that it set out a description of angels and their heirarchy in heaven in great detail.

Super Universe

Defender of God
There is no religion based upon the Urantia Book. Angels refer to the earth as Urantia so that is why I use it as my religion.

The book is large and very confusing. There is much of it that I do not completely understand. I would recommend reading the last quarter of the book, the chapters on Christ. Even if you do not believe any of it it's quite fascinating reading the history of Christ on earth from birth till death. The entire book is available for reading online at:
http://www.urantia.org/

People often point out the untrue things in something they wish to dismiss entirely. Are Einstein's theories proven? Even he admitted that he made errors.

Your post includes the statement from the Urantia Book that says the physical sciences will need revision by new found human discoveries. This is because we must work for knowledge of physics. We must earn it but in the absence of this knowledge revelation is an attempt to give us some ground rules, the Bible is an operating manual for the human body.

Danisty: I don't think you worship God. I know you hate Him more than anything. I just wanted to find out your motivation for it.

cardero

Citizen Mod
I know that this is not the "ask Super Universe anything" thread but is it safe to assume that you received your knowledge and views about God through the Urantia Super Universe?

Booko

Deviled Hen
*** mod post ***

Please go ahead and debate the Urantia Book, but while doing so please keep the following rule in mind, especially the parts in red:

4.) While debating and discussion is fine, we will not tolerate rudeness, insulting posts, personal attacks or inflammatory posts. We will allow faith to be debated and discussed by a member only when there is no hostile, rude, or insulting opinion of another's faith. The same applies to international conflicts; hostile, rude or insulting opinions of one of the sides to an international conflict will not be allowed. These restrictions to an open debate or discussion also apply to material linked and/or quoted from another site. Our decision is final in these matters.

Booko

Deviled Hen
cardero said:
Booko, I did not mean any offense, as stated in another thread, Name Three (or seven) Of Your Top Five (or twelve) Favorite Posters!, I am very interested in Super Universe's posts and experiences about GOD. Without derailing Faint's thread, I thought this may be a good opportunity to ask Super Universe about his views since the topic of the Urantia book was brought up.

Never assume that just because a mod post follows one of yours that it's actually directed at your post. :D

Actually, I look forward to reading this thread as it develops.

Super Universe

Defender of God
cardero said:
I know that this is not the "ask Super Universe anything" thread but is it safe to assume that you received your knowledge and views about God through the Urantia Super Universe?

No. The Urantia Book explains many illogical things in the Bible. The story of Adam and Eve is much more plausible to me than the talking serpent and tree of knowledge.

To me, the book is a science book, not a religious text. It explains things in ways that I find more acceptable than the Bible. But still the Urantia book is not where I received my enlightenment.

Much of that came from an honest examination of my own life experiences. I had to become my own phsychologist. And I once had a vision that knocked my socks off.

almifkhar

i never heard of this book, sounds interesting and different none the less, and seems worth a read, but with it being as big as you all make it sound, it seems like i will be reading a long time. are there any books on it in a shorter format?

cardero

Citizen Mod
I was reading it online as well for a few moments. The parts I was reading were about sins and taboos.

Majeston

It' s probably the most important book to ever appear on Earth. There are no errors no matter what the clowns at wikipedia write. There are 2 typesetting errors that are insignificant. You are consider it a "tuning fork" to God , or a "map of truth" to your eternal adventure. It is too deep for most people because they have been so "programmed" by society that they can't recognize real truth when they first see it. It reads like sci-fi because the continuing revelation of truth has been expanded to the superuniverse level instead of camel jockey's from 3000 years ago.

fashiondave

If some stranger on a "religious forum" wasn't telling you about how much insight into your creation, your relationship with God, your fellow man, and other beings of the universe, history of your planet, the life and purpose of the bestowal of Christ on your world, and the differences between evolved and revealed religions were contained in the Urantia book, but it was one of your friends, family members, or idol, how big would too big be for you to read a book that could possibly help you with your spirituality? I am a 37 year old man, who has lived a life of pride in which just about everything I did for a period of time was to cater to my ego, and I would recommend the Urantia book to anyone who is being led by something inside them that is giving the desire to seek out the truth. I have Never read a book in my whole life and had lost my faith to such a great extent, that I decided to check out the book just so I could dismiss it as a big lie. What it contained was so without motive and it contained something that I had all ready found possible to believe based on my life experiences. It doesn't set out to set up any kind of organized religion to enslave man with its fanciful stories, even though to the feeble minded it may be hard to follow.
Why do people in our country go to school, for the start of their life, with the concept that they are given the truth and wisdom to tackle all of lives obstacles, and never question the majority of the stuff we are taught except for science. Why do we not go to church and give up math or reading, social studies or history, but science and evolution is supposed to be scoffed at? People who don't believe in evolution do get treated with scientific advances in medicine. We get our weather forecast by scientific means. We use the transit methods and communication methods by which science has come up with.
The Urantia book will give you the courage and information to believe in science and God. I understand that it is a large book, but 700+ pages of it are devoted to the history of the life of Jesus. It doesn't cover all religions, so some people will be dissapointed, but if the story of Jesus was taken out of context, the imagine that it could be the same situation for any other religious figures like Mohammed, John Smith etc... The book/revelation was bestowed upon a Christian who live in the USA, so that makes sense to me that it decided to talk more about Jesus than the others. Why tell a 700+ page that accounts for the life of Mohammed, when the majority of the people in America don't have any knowledge of Islam, other than what their church, media, or government has given them?
People reccomend that you start reading the Urantia book in Part 4, but I would recommend you starting it in part 3. It helped me answer some of the questions about how Cain went to the land of Nod and took a wife, how Noah who lived in a village could account for the entire world flooding when he didn't even know how much of the world there was including the whole western hemisphere. It showed me how many religions were started, and a back story to Christianity that you can not get from the Testaments. I wish you all luck, if you decide to tackle the book, and Peace be with you!

fashiondave

I apologize for the many grammatical and spelling errors in my post. I am not very educated/indoctrinated, but I do consider myself to be intelligent.

InChrist

Free4ever
I apologize for the many grammatical and spelling errors in my post. I am not very educated/indoctrinated, but I do consider myself to be intelligent.

I read the entire Urantia book years ago before I was a believer in Jesus Christ. While I thought it was interesting to read it also struck me as rather bizarre, besides being so long. I have read many other books and writings which claim to shed light on the Bible or give more information, but which I now see are actually contrary to the teachings of scripture concerning life on earth and the history of humanity. Since being saved and knowing Jesus Christ I have the same sense about the Urantia book and the similarities it has with all other such books, which I believe are inspired by the spirit of the antichrist....the Urantia book definitely being one of the longest such writings.