• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Theory of Evolution is True. Part 1: What is Science?

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
And then it also takes, as you mentioned, all those millions of years. And those, we most certainly have had. We've had millions of years thousands of times over! And that's the part you simply cannot conceive of -- your mind being too constrained by the stuff you are not permitted to let go of.

Not exactly. The evidence reveals possibly billions of years for only single-celled organisms. But multicellular organisms appear in the Record only a little over 600 mya. Comparing 3,800 M to 600 M — quite a big difference!

I keep hearing similar statements expressed in various ways....but these are inaccurate & misleading.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Not exactly. The evidence reveals possibly billions of years for only single-celled organisms. But multicellular organisms appear in the Record only a little over 600 mya. Comparing 3,800 M to 600 M — quite a big difference!

This is actually not quite correct.

Multicellular organism - Wikipedia

Life has a history of quite a few "experiments" with multi-cellularity. Some of them being some 3 billion years old.

600mya is the oldest known trace of multi-cellular animals.

Which means that the cells that came together to form those first multi-cellular "colonies", had been evolving for over 3 billion years already.

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

Life has a history of quite a few "experiments" with multi-cellularity. Some of them being some 3 billion years old.

Which means that the cells that came together to form those first multi-cellular "colonies", had been evolving for over 3 billion years already.
Multicellular “colonies”! Lol.
You’ll grasp at anything, wontchya?

Reminds me of an article,
Pleiotropy: Watching multicellularity evolve before our eyes
...and the discussion that ensued between a poster and the article’s author.

The poster asked:
“Is a colony considered a multi-cellular organism?”

The author replied:
“Good question. I would not think so. Rather, the colonies could be imagined to be the first step towards evolving real multicellularity ('an organism that reproduces by making a copy of the whole, and consists of different types of cells').”

Read the rest of the dialogue between them!

Imagination, an over-used tool of the biological sciences!

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member

As I said: you’ll “imagine” anything to be a precursor!

Your standard for accepting evidence for evolution is very lax.

So “actually”, what I posted is correct.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Multicellular “colonies”! Lol.
You’ll grasp at anything, wontchya?

??

Was this an attempt at being clever?

Reminds me of an article,
Pleiotropy: Watching multicellularity evolve before our eyes
...and the discussion that ensued between a poster and the article’s author.

The poster asked:
“Is a colony considered a multi-cellular organism?”

The author replied:
“Good question. I would not think so. Rather, the colonies could be imagined to be the first step towards evolving real multicellularity ('an organism that reproduces by making a copy of the whole, and consists of different types of cells').”

Read the rest of the dialogue between them!

Imagination, an over-used tool of the biological sciences!

Why would I care about some comment section on the internet concerning high level science topics?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
As I said: you’ll “imagine” anything to be a precursor!

Your standard for accepting evidence for evolution is very lax.

So “actually”, what I posted is correct.

"actually", what you posted, is what I posted.

You said multi-cellular life is 600 million years old.
I corrected you. What is 600 million years old is multicellular ANIMALS.
Multicellular LIFE, is much older.

And I'm the one who's "grasping", ha?

:rolleyes:

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
You said multi-cellular life is 600 million years old.

No, I did not. I said “multicellular organisms”.

I corrected you. What is 600 million years old is multicellular ANIMALS.
Multicellular LIFE, is much older.
Lol! You probably can’t even see how misleading your statement is. “Colonies” — what you are calling multicellular life — back then were still made up of the same single celled organisms! It was probably for protective measures.... they didn’t become a new species, did they?

And I'm the one who's "grasping", ha?

Uhh, yeah.

Why would I care about some comment section on the internet concerning high level science topics?

Yeah, why would you?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
No, I did not. I said “multicellular organisms”.

Which is a synonym for "life". Yes.
And you said it was 600 million years old.
This is wrong. It's multi-cellular animals that are that age. Or at least, that's the oldest evidence we have. It might be older.

Not all multi-cellular life/organisms are animals.

Lol! You probably can’t even see how misleading your statement is. “Colonies” — what you are calling multicellular life — back then were still made up of the same single celled organisms!

You are still made up of the same single celled organisms.
They are eukaryotic cells.

:rolleyes:

It was probably for protective measures.... they didn’t become a new species, did they?

All multi-celled organisms are colonies of cells that act as a single entity.

You're into a meaningless semantic argument now.
Call it what you will, it doesn't change the reality of the biology that underpins multi-cellular life.

Yeah, why would you?

For the same reason that I wouldn't care about the chatter in the waiting room of the oncologist.