• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the symbol of Darkness?

Kemble

crossfire, it is particularly different than an LHP view of keeping and nurturing the self. Overcoming delusion in Buddhism is a method toward extinguishing the self. To say it DIR technically those images are RHP but maybe you can choose to take them outside their cultural/religious contexts for your own practices.

Suddhasattva, I have a feeling you are referring to Zhentong in the Tibetan tradition, which got the Jonang in trouble with the other mainstream approaches that always held that the self is empty. Regardless, it is distinctly different than being ego-centered.

Kemble

Lastly,

Shuddhasattva said:
Perhaps as some might know them, but the first recorded historical instances of LHP are Buddhist & Hindu. In the Hindu Cinacara tradition, Vasistha is even held to have received the transmissions of the Vamacara from Gautuma Buddha.

LHP approaches in the Eastern traditions had more to do with achieving non-dualty and dropping the self through breaking taboos. Still pretty RHP.

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic Bully ☿
Premium Member
crossfire, it is particularly different than an LHP view of keeping and nurturing the self. Overcoming delusion in Buddhism is a method toward extinguishing the self. To say it DIR technically those images are RHP but maybe you can choose to take them outside their cultural/religious contexts for your own practices.
Since this is the LHP DIR, I'm going to hide the Buddhist scriptures which refute your claim:

Dhammapada: The Self
Attavagga: The Self

Buddha did say the conceit of "I am" is to be abandoned, which is not the same as extinguishing the self.

Water Snake Simile

"And how is a monk a noble one with banner lowered, burden placed down, unfettered? There is the case where a monk's conceit 'I am' is abandoned, its root destroyed, made like a palmyra stump, deprived of the conditions of development, not destined for future arising. This is how a monk is a noble one with banner lowered, burden placed down, unfettered.
"And when the devas, together with Indra, the Brahmas, & Pajapati, search for the monk whose mind is thus released, they cannot find that 'The consciousness of the one truly gone (tathagata) [11] is dependent on this.' Why is that? The one truly gone is untraceable even in the here & now. [12]​

Edit to add: if there is any permanent unchanging essence of self, then how would transformation be truly possible?

Last edited:

crossfire

Premium Member
Oh, Shuddhasattva, what's the instrument in Mahakala's middle right hand?

Kemble

Edit to add: if there is any permanent unchanging essence of self, then how would transformation be truly possible?

We aren't really talking about permanent selves. The self or ego is your normal sense of separation from the rest of your environment, of a personal identity. It develops desires, it experiences pain and pleasure, it changes. It allows the world really to exist as a variety of objects, processes, experiences; dividing the world up. You are taking the passages you quoted above out of context and trying to make it fit into a foreign concept, because the basic Buddhist idea most prominent in Theravada and on up to Mahayana and Vajrayana is the emptyness of that self, of a ceasing of that "self's" desires. Nirvana literaly means to extinguish a flame, and that flame is the ego. So no, Buddhism is incompatible with the LHP idea of keeping the ego along with its desires and fullfillments.

Shuddhasattva

Suddhasattva, I have a feeling you are referring to Zhentong in the Tibetan tradition, which got the Jonang in trouble with the other mainstream approaches that always held that the self is empty. Regardless, it is distinctly different than being ego-centered.

Kemble, out of respect for your general wherewithal I'd like to invite you to a debate on this topic in the 1 on 1 section, so as to not debate in the DIR (after this post ;) ). Alternately, we could open this up to "Is there an self-worship gap in the LHP traditions?" thread in the so-called same faith debates section.

In regards to the post, my reference is not just to the zhentong, though that would be included. The "mainstream approach(s) [sic] that you refer to is actually the singular gelug interpretation of prasangika madhyamaka, with the gelug becoming militarily and politically dominant in benighted Tibet and thus imposing their orthodoxy on the rest of us.

One does not need to take the zhentong view to understand the doctrine of the Self as per:

• the nikayas & abhidharma
  • the prajnaparamita cycle
  • the tathagatagarbha cycle
  • the intermediate cycles
  • yogacara
  • madhyamaka (including both rangtong and zhentong interpretations)
  • tantra, and its own (and many) philosophies of the Self, which very between cycles (eg: mengagde) and specific tantras even within a given cycle.

In my opinion zhentong as commonly interpreted among jonangpas and their apologists is too extreme (at least standing in itself), whereas dolpopa's original exposition is more in line with a view that doesn't suffer from needless reconciliation, or accept erroneous understandings as divergent in the first place.

Emptiness is not merely other-empty, it is empty of itself, being the self of the void.
<TLDR version>

The void alone paints with the colors of space and time, energy and matter, shadows and light, sun and moon, devouring its own phantasms before they're created, perpetually giving rise to only itself, nothingness, sovereign lord of things.

And this rather is the point.

LHP approaches in the Eastern traditions had more to do with achieving non-dualty and dropping the self through breaking taboos. Still pretty RHP.

Even if your claims are accepted at face-value, does it occur to you that this is cultural misappropriation? Long before the idea of a lefthand path entered anyone's head in the Western esoteric tradition - at least to the point of recording it as such, it was a central idea in Indian esotericism, both Hindu and Buddhist with a corresponding Taoist equivalent as well.

...Which you are now recasting in the new terminology as "RHP." It lacks reason.

That said, 'non-duality' is so very nuanced and overlaid with the understanding of a supreme selfhood which the aspirant identifies with as the core of self-awareness, free from the conceit fractured "I am" internal dialogue, (though "I am" in a pure, para-vocative sense: 'Aham' has enormous significance in of itself, particular in the Hindu tantric tradition).

Simply put, (Buddhist) tantric conceptions of nonduality do not involve the surrendering of the self, but rather its revelation as the supreme being. Oneself is that, sovereign and enlightened as all beings. In this way it can be said to be an expansion of the intermediate cycle, ie the lankavatara, the lotus & especially the avatamsaka.

In regards to the desires, these are not suppressed in the LHP traditions, but used as potent means of self-recognition.

Further, there are many tantric traditions which do not care so much for nonduality by way of union, but are instead engaged in the project of isolation or separation. Yogic traditions were, from their inception, rooted around this principle; it is called sa&#7747;khya and underlies the doctrine of shramana, and revolves in disentangling the sovereign self from the webs of all phenomenon, until purusha (self) stands alone as the cosmic being, unlimited by space, time or atomicity, and unburdened of notions of mystic union, or any other compromise of consciousness.

Last edited:

Shuddhasattva

Oh, Shuddhasattva, what's the instrument in Mahakala's middle right hand?

If we take it to be the right hand from his/our-perspective (if we are Mahakal), then in our middle right hand is the damaru which abides between silence and sound.

If we take the external votary view, the middle right hand is a noose/lasso (I assume you mean the six-armed Mahakala?)

Last edited:

Shuddhasattva

Shuddh, this is a contemporary LHP DIR. Not a subset of Buddhism/Hinduism DIR.

It's the LHP DIR, full stop. There are probably more contemporary LHP practitioners of the Eastern traditions in the world still. Moreover, I've a personal interest in some of the less vapid Western traditions too.

Kemble

OK. We probably would have continued to talk past each other without that distinction. You are still speaking of disintangling the normal ego-process. In the contemporary LHP ego (and its desires) is good.

Shuddhasattva

I'm not disputing your right to have your ego-worship in the DIR, but it crosses a line when it tries to eclipse the Self-worshiping LHPs.

crossfire

Premium Member
If we take it to be the right hand from our-perspective, especially if we are Mahakala, then in our middle right hand is the damaru which abides between silence and sound.

If we take the external observer, the middle right hand is a noose/lasso (I assume you mean the six-armed Mahakala?)
Damaru. Thank you.

Kemble

I honestly think you folks should be posting in the Eastern forums, as what you have been saying is perfectly mainstream compatible. Or do you just like the LHP/antinomian feel of it?

Infinitum

Possessed Bookworm
In my opinion you can't make a separation between the East and the West like that. The two are talking about the same thing in a different language, just as we "contemporary" LHP people often are. For me it's very important to understand the original practices in order to put them into a meaningful modern setting. If we borrow something, we should at least respect where it came from.

Shuddha, thanks for being in the DIR. Perhaps we should ask the admins to add a sub-DIR for Vamachara?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Lobby the mods then, I guess. I'll probably be banned before the months out anyway.

Well I hope not Shuddhasattva. Look people as long as our discussions are about magical philosophy and technique and issues regarding the evolution and furtherance of the psyche or Self it doesn't matter whether it is Western LHP tradition or Eastern. To me they are all relevant to this DIR.

Xeper.
/Adramelek\
IAO SET!

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Whats wrong with the East? The Tao Te Ching has some of the best LHP advise I've ever heard.

Kemble

I think I'm getting the confusion. There is actually a self-complex or ego or personal identity. There is also an idea of a core big Self or atman that some eastern traditions describe as one ulimate consciousness behind everything and every person's core identity. It is possible to realize that Self by encompassing and including the ego. Buddhism and Hinduism disentangle the ego to get to that Self. The problem is that Self if it exists is already there and really doesn't need "you" the ego to "get" to it. The ego actually makes it possible to realize a big universal Self behind all experience much like a mirror is required to see your face. The LHP is a reaction to the anti-ego religions. It loves the small-"s" self, its desires, and everything about having an individual personal identity. The RHP seeks nondualty by killing the ego whether by realizing Buddha-nature, merging atman with brahman, or whatever. But you can never actually experience your Original Face without the mirror of the ego. So the eastern traditions are a dead-end from the LHP view. Making sense?

To tie this in with left handed eastern traditions best exemplified by the Aghori, they seek to break taboos to realize nondualty but often it requires drinking urine, eating fesces, meditating in grave yards, et cetera. It abuses the ego until it gets out of the way - it still seeks to kill it.

Last edited: