• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Jesus Myth is illogical.

Oberon

Have you found other support for this in your reading?

None so baldly stated. The classic work on early christian pagan relations is of course R. L. Fox's Pagans and Christians. However, this doesn't get us much past Constantine. There is a great series on Witchcraft and Magic called (suprise) Witchcraft and Magic in Europe and consists of 6 edited volumes. The third of these has a some papers which directly concern how the early church treated pagans, witches, etc., all of which support Hutton's statement. The Power of Sacrifice by George Heyman is good to, but it to deals mainly with persecution of christians. The only other books that come time mind as supportive (often indirectly simply because they lack any detail of christian persecution of pagans) are Early Christianity by Humphries, Second Church by MacMullen, and Religious Rivalries in the Early Roman Empire and the Rise of Christianity. Of course, my focuse has always been on Christianity and Judaism around the time of Jesus, so this is hardly my area. Hutton's specialty, though, is the history of paganism in europe.

A

angellous_evangellous

None so baldly stated. The classic work on early christian pagan relations is of course R. L. Fox's Pagans and Christians. However, this doesn't get us much past Constantine. There is a great series on Witchcraft and Magic called (suprise) Witchcraft and Magic in Europe and consists of 6 edited volumes. The third of these has a some papers which directly concern how the early church treated pagans, witches, etc., all of which support Hutton's statement. The Power of Sacrifice by George Heyman is good to, but it to deals mainly with persecution of christians. The only other books that come time mind as supportive (often indirectly simply because they lack any detail of christian persecution of pagans) are Early Christianity by Humphries, Second Church by MacMullen, and Religious Rivalries in the Early Roman Empire and the Rise of Christianity. Of course, my focuse has always been on Christianity and Judaism around the time of Jesus, so this is hardly my area. Hutton's specialty, though, is the history of paganism in europe.

OK, thanks.

If Christians didn't persecute pagans in the 4th-6th century, I'm Mickey Mouse. :D

Oberon

OK, thanks.

If Christians didn't persecute pagans in the 4th-6th century, I'm Mickey Mouse. :D
Mickey! I've always wanted to meet you!

Actually, Hutton flatly states they did persecute pagans (and, obviously, so does everyone else). What he notes is that there isn't any record of christians executing or killing pagans. Rather, they destroyed literary works, sacred sites, and so on.

A

angellous_evangellous

Mickey! I've always wanted to meet you!

Actually, Hutton flatly states they did persecute pagans (and, obviously, so does everyone else). What he notes is that there isn't any record of christians executing or killing pagans. Rather, they destroyed literary works, sacred sites, and so on.

Be careful.... I am very good friends with Santa and the Easter Bunny...:D

A

angellous_evangellous

The story of Hypatia is centered around Cyril's attempt to bring down holy sites in Alexandria, which did not happen bloodlessly.

Hypatia

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
How would they know that? The gospel texts were likely all written in the first century, although John may be early 2nd (I find that hard to believe, given that p52 is generally dated to around 125 CE). It wasn't until hundreds of years later that christianity was even legal. How could they possibly predict that?
Really, they take all the attributes from every other religion, to gain the followers with familiarity so many would not even really have to change their lifestyles to convert, they rampage on through into the most bloodiest religious campaign EVER, and they change their book with the times along with what they accept or how they accept it. Pretty clear the had an agenda and would not stop till they met it....

A

angellous_evangellous

Really, they take all the attributes from every other religion, to gain the followers with familiarity so many would not even really have to change their lifestyles to convert, they rampage on through into the most bloodiest religious campaign EVER, and they change their book with the times along with what they accept or how they accept it. Pretty clear the had an agenda and would not stop till they met it....

What an exemplary misunderstanding of history. :facepalm:

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Really? Wikipedia is a credible a source.......

I think you've proven here that you go off more faith/opinoin then actual proof on anything....:facepalm:
I use wikipedia simply because it is an easy source. In this case, it does provide the general scholarly opinion. Simply dismissing it off hand (which you criticized me for supposedly doing in a different thread, even though I gave a rebuttal to said article), is not a logical argument. But just so you don't have an excuse to actually debate, I will suggest a few other sources. First, Bart D. Ehrman's Introductory book to the New Testament. It contains information on the subject as to how we can know that Josephus did in fact write something about Jesus.

Religion: Josephus and Jesus - TIME

Josephus'Testimony to Jesus Also, gives reference to a great book with a discussion on the subject, A Marginal Jew by John P. Meier.

Josephus on Jesus - Paul Maier

I can give you additional books as well, from various other authors who are authorities on the subject.

fallingblood

Agnostic Theist
Do you have any sources? Anything credible at all supporting your position? I highly doubt it.

If you actually look at the influences of the early Jesus movement, you see Judaism. The reason is simple, Jesus was a Jew, the early movement was Jewish. Support: L. Michael White's From Jesus to Christianity, The Birth of Christianity by John Dominic Crossan. Also, just for an internet site: FRONTLINE: from jesus to christ - the first christians | PBS
A very good site.

logician

You just proved my point for me. :)

Going to address any of the points I brought up? Answer a few questions?

Of course not. That's not your style.

Sorry, none of your points merits consideration, please make your arguments a little more coherent.

logician

My point was that we don't have birth stories for most famous people and it's usually safe to assume we don't (Winston Churchill was just an unlucky choice off the top of my head).

We certainly do know most "famous" people's dates of birth and death. We also know a lot about their lives from real historical records, real historical artifacts, their own writings, writings of biographers, etc. None of this exists for the supposed Jesus.

dogsgod

We certainly do know most "famous" people's dates of birth and death. We also know a lot about their lives from real historical records, real historical artifacts, their own writings, writings of biographers, etc. None of this exists for the supposed Jesus.
It doesn't matter as long as you believe.

logician

Simple logic demands that if the supposed Jesus was not "important" enough for historians to write about (i.e. no miracles, no multitudes of people following him around, no high profile trial), then where were the gospel writers pulling this material from?

Not from a living person's actions, but from pre-existant religious thought and philosophy. The characters and events were made up to fit the story line.

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
I use wikipedia simply because it is an easy source. In this case, it does provide the general scholarly opinion. Simply dismissing it off hand (which you criticized me for supposedly doing in a different thread, even though I gave a rebuttal to said article), is not a logical argument. But just so you don't have an excuse to actually debate, I will suggest a few other sources. First, Bart D. Ehrman's Introductory book to the New Testament. It contains information on the subject as to how we can know that Josephus did in fact write something about Jesus.

Religion: Josephus and Jesus - TIME

Josephus'Testimony to Jesus Also, gives reference to a great book with a discussion on the subject, A Marginal Jew by John P. Meier.

Josephus on Jesus - Paul Maier

I can give you additional books as well, from various other authors who are authorities on the subject.
If Josephus was born c37, how could he be a reliable source for Jesus....???

IO can't believe you even believe that....... conspiracy!!!

Last edited:

MW0082

Jesus 4 Profit.... =)~
not as an eye witness but through hearsay...
he wrote antiquities in 93 C.E., after the first gospels were written
Prceisley, at that is why Fallingblood falls flat here. It's hearsey not actual proof. So far you have failed at proving Jesus is not a MYTH or an actual person.. pfft

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Sorry, none of your points merits consideration, please make your arguments a little more coherent.

OK, I'll go back over my last few posts and see if I can rephrase them in monosyllables.
icon14.gif

dogsgod

If Josephus was born c37, how could he be a reliable source for Jesus....???
Even so, they're both forgeries. "Called Christ" is right out of the NT, and how would Josephus' readers know who Josephus would be referring to by writing "called Christ" to describe someone that was unknown, and supposedly killed 60 years prior to his writing? Christ who? Christians argue that Jesus Christ was well known yet aside from a few Christians, no one else wrote about him.