• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the Jesus Myth is illogical.

dogsgod

Namaste dogsgod

Again, as per my understanding, Krishna when taken as a mere historical figure is a mistake based on a limited view -- on account of several reasons. And no doubt such a view, as per me, is a myth (mithya). For saying this, I will be kicked in my community. But I persevere and point out that as per Krishna, who says "kalosmi" ("I am Time"), Krishna was not a mere physical entity. Does Time have any physicality? Krishna also says "I am the Self". Being Self everywhere and at all times, a localised picture of Krishna is a notion only that has only faith as its basis. The notion has its use for the faithful but is also the reason of much bigotry. I have seen similar statements in Bible that indicates Jesus being the manifest time. So, as per me, those who ascribe historical time constrained and space constrained existence to Krishna are not consistent with the teaching of Krishna Himself. Krishna's teachings and his persona are called smriti - remembrance. The personality and the teachings comes to us via some minds. In Gita, it is Sanjaya who sees the whole thing and someone else (Vyasa) writes it down.

On the other hand, the word that Krishna (or Christ) represents, is true with minor cultural variations, in our awareness.

This is me and my understanding (opinion) only. My english language skill may be found wanting and I apologise in advance.

Om Shanti
:eek:m:

That's interesting because Philo, writing just prior to the earliest Christian writings, describes the first born Son of God:

The Logos (Word) is thus more than a quality, power, or characteristic of God; it is an entity eternally generated as an extension, to which Philo ascribes many names and functions.

The Logos is the first-begotten Son of the Uncreated Father: “For the Father of the universe has caused him to spring up as the eldest son, whom, in another passage, he [Moses] calls the first-born; and he who is thus born, imitating the ways of his father, has formed such and such species, looking to his archetypal patterns.”

The last of the four gospels was written in the second century yet we can see Philo's influence:

1In the beginning was the Word (Logos), and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. 2He was with God in the beginning.
3Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. 4In him was life, and that life was the light of men. 5The light shines in the darkness, but the darkness has not understood[a] it.

6There came a man who was sent from God; his name was John. 7He came as a witness to testify concerning that light, so that through him all men might believe. 8He himself was not the light; he came only as a witness to the light. 9The true light that gives light to every man was coming into the world.

10He was in the world, and though the world was made through him, the world did not recognize him. 11He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him. 12Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of natural descent,[c] nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

14The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only,[d] who came from the Father, full of grace and truth.
15John testifies concerning him. He cries out, saying, "This was he of whom I said, 'He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.' " 16From the fullness of his grace we have all received one blessing after another. 17For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. 18No one has ever seen God, but God the One and Only,[e][f]who is at the Father's side, has made him known.

I see what you mean, Krishna and Christ are similar in that they are understood to have always been.

Thank you atanu, you're English is very good.

Last edited:

dogsgod

The point is, there was no historical Jesus, just a made up one, and nobody can point to a SPECIFIC man, and more importanly THE SPECIFIC TRAITS, of a real Jesus that supposedly existed. :D
You're going against Christian church tradition. Is that allowed?

dogsgod

The fact that mythology is the core of the gospel story has little to no bearing on whether or not there was an actual Jesus. Is there a Jesus and what can we really know about him? What do the experts say? "Sanders, Geza Vermes, John P. Meier, David Flusser, James H. Charlesworth, Raymond E. Brown, Paula Fredriksen and John Dominic Crossan have variously argued that the gospel accounts of the baptism of Jesus, his preaching, and the crucifixion of Jesus, are generally deemed to be historically authentic, while the two accounts of the nativity of Jesus, as well as certain details about the crucifixion and the resurrection, are generally deemed to be non-authentic."

Not everyone is willing to wade in so deep, "Charles Guignebert, Professor of the History of Christianity at the Sorbonne, maintained that the "conclusions which are justified by the documentary evidence may be summed up as follows: Jesus was born somewhere in Galilee in the time of the Emperor Augustus, of a humble family, which included half a dozen or more children besides himself." He adds elsewhere "there is no reason to suppose he was not executed".

Some just don't get what the fuss is all about. "Rolf Torstendahl, professor of history at Uppsala University, has stated that the evidence for existence of Jesus is too weak for a historian to be able to say anything on Jesus' existence, based on evidence." quotes from wiki

Last edited:

Oberon

Some just don't get what the fuss is all about. "Rolf Torstendahl, professor of history at Uppsala University, has stated that the evidence for existence of Jesus is too weak for a historian to be able to say anything on Jesus' existence, based on evidence." quotes from wiki

Rolf Torstendalh's area of expertise is in modern european history.

dogsgod

We could quote Richard Carrier, BA (History), MA (Ancient history), MPhil (Ancient history), PhD (Ancient history).

Oberon

We could quote Richard Carrier, BA (History), MA (Ancient history), MPhil (Ancient history), PhD (Ancient history).

Sure. I would love to hear a quote from a journal article or academic book by Richard Carrier on the historical Jessus (or lack thereof), or some similar publication (e.g. conference proceedings) demonstrating that Carrier has actually soundly researched this area and is willing to put his reputation as an ancient historian at stake by allowing his work to be published and reviewed by fellow ancient historians.

dogsgod

Half of the scholars I cited that generally deemed some gospel accounts to be historically authentic were or still are Catholic priests.

Last edited:

Oberon

Half of the scholars I cited that generally deemed some gospel accounts to be historically authentic were or still are Catholic priests.
1) Vermes is Jewish
2) "Were" doesn't really matter. JD Crossan, far from believing in the resurrection, thinks that Jesus' body was eaten by dogs. So what if he used to be a catholic priest? So was martin luther. Often the biggest critics of a group are ex-members.
3) You cited a tiny number of scholars out of the massive number who have written on this subject from all sorts of ideological, philosphical, and religious backgrounds.

Wessexman

I'm soon to complete my undergraduate studies in politics and ancient history. I can certainly say that Jesus is better historically evidenced than many historical figures we do not doubt. He is better evidenced than any Roman figure before 300-250 BC, but who doubts Camillus or Cincinnatus?

Last edited:

Requia

I doubt Cincinnatus existed, or at least that he really did what he got famous for. But that has more to do with my overflowing cynicism than any actual historical reasoning.

Ilisrum

I was just watching a video of a speech Richard Carrier made at a conference. Although I don't necessarily subscribe to the Christ myth, I love his logic!

dogsgod

I'm soon to complete my undergraduate studies in politics and ancient history. I can certainly say that Jesus is better historically evidenced than many historical figures we do not doubt. He is better evidenced than any Roman figure before 300-250 BC, but who doubts Camillus or Cincinnatus?
I've heard this said, but why is the evidence for this Jesus locked away in a hidden vault?

dogsgod

Jesus' body was eaten by dogs.

Probably fits the profile of a first century rebel rouser that died as a common criminal, determined the same way those on this board think Jesus couldn't read.

Vermes is Jewish now, he too was a Catholic priest.

Last edited:

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Sure. I would love to hear a quote from a journal article or academic book by Richard Carrier on the historical Jessus (or lack thereof), or some similar publication (e.g. conference proceedings) demonstrating that Carrier has actually soundly researched this area and is willing to put his reputation as an ancient historian at stake by allowing his work to be published and reviewed by fellow ancient historians.

Some time ago I watched Carrier delivering a speech at a college (Missouri State I think) stating his case against the existence of Yeshua even though it has been suggested he doesn't hold to the belief he didn't.

Edit: Found it.
[youtube]cOGebAEOU2g[/youtube]
YouTube - Richard Carrier Part 1 (1 of 4).

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
I doubt Cincinnatus existed, or at least that he really did what he got famous for. But that has more to do with my overflowing cynicism than any actual historical reasoning.

I'm kind of in the same position about Yeshua. I don't think he existed but if he did then he is famous for things he didn't do or that never happened.

Oberon

Jesus' body was eaten by dogs.

Probably fits the profile of a first century rebel rouser that died as a common criminal, determined the same way those on this board think Jesus couldn't read.

The very same way. It's called the historical method, i.e. what historians do to determine what happened in the past.

Vermes is Jewish now, he too was a Catholic priest.
What difference does it make what he was?

Oberon

Some time ago I watched Carrier delivering a speech at a college (Missouri State I think) stating his case against the existence of Yeshua even though it has been suggested he doesn't hold to the belief he didn't.

Carrier delivering a speech wasn't exactly the kind of material I was asking for. One of the interesting things about the mythicist material out there is that out of the tiny minority of stuff written by experts in any related field (Carrier and Price are the only ones I know of), none of it is academic, i.e. intended for experts. It is all written for the public who are largely not in a position to judge how accurate the claims made are or to compare it with arguments made by thousands of others. As far as I know, Carrier hasn't even published anything on the historical Jesus (although I believe he plans to) and Price's works are all intended for the layperson.

Requia

I'm kind of in the same position about Yeshua. I don't think he existed but if he did then he is famous for things he didn't do or that never happened.

Nah, Yeshua was some guy who went around preaching about love and charity and not using God to make a buck, the government responded by nailing him to a tree. This is much more believable than somebody giving up power in said government 3 months early out of the goodness of his heart.

dogsgod

Thanks for providing the video. Carrier had a very interesting take on Acts in that he showed how it was true to Paul's beliefs about Christ.