• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why the bible may NOT the Inspired Word of God

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
something that always bugged me about the Bible is how little it resembled religious texts i found to be more profoundly meaningful and universal in scope. like the Tao te Ching, Upanishads, etc. i was expecting for the Word of God to more closely resemble a philosophical work of general wisdom and insights,more outisde of historical or cultural contexts.

but what i've come to understand is that the Bible is essentially God in human history. and as such records the good, the bad, and the ugly of human nature. it records God's hand in creation, His creating the first humans, and the first several generation of human life on earth. it records God's wilful, stern, forgiving, and just hand at work in human society, in response to sin, righteousness, the need for second chances, and the promise of eventual reconciliation between man and God.

the Bible doesn't tend to meditate on God as an abstract or philisophically approachable Being, but records His hand at work in human lives and societies as a wilful, powerful, and knowable Someone. it's not a philisophical, advaitic kind of text, as i expected. but it is remarkably thorough, and still relevant and meaningful today.
Your first sentence in the last paragraph is the most poignant. Because God isn't abstract. God isn't a philosophy. God is life. God is love. God is not just transcendent, but almost painfully imminent.

OmarKhayyam

"The problem with the Bible is that, once upon a time, the Catholic Church went through a dark, corrupt, sinful age where orgies occured in the Vatican (quite literally), non-believers were killed, and so forth. "

And this "once upon a time" differed from any other time . . . how?

OmarKhayyam

"God is not just transcendent, but almost painfully imminent."

Or at least the belief in god is painfully imminent - in certain places.

logician

"Why the Bible may NOT be the Inspired Word of God..."

Uh, easy answer, because there is no god.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
These people believe a god exist so we must respect their beliefs.....but contrary to what they believe it seems the book they thump, if it is the word of their god, needs some MAJOR revisions. Can you imagine...the word of this omnipotent...omniscient needing corrections...???....Well, apparently it does. It's incorrect on various levels and yet..the "believers" still thump it.

logician

The Christian bible, or any bible or religious text for that matter, was written by men. It is only inspired because "men" said it was inspired. It is only followed because "men" teach it to their fellow man. The term "god" is just a term used by salespeople of their respective religions to push these words as something more that what they are - words.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
The Christian bible, or any bible or religious text for that matter, was written by men. It is only inspired because "men" said it was inspired. It is only followed because "men" teach it to their fellow man. The term "god" is just a term used by salespeople of their respective religions to push these words as something more that what they are - words.

I agree.....:beach:

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I do believe the Bible was inspired by God, with the caveat that "inspired" =/= "dictated."

IOW, I believe that God is real, and the Bible is the record of one people's quest to understand it.

OmarKhayyam

I do believe the Bible was inspired by God, with the caveat that "inspired" =/= "dictated."

IOW, I believe that God is real, and the Bible is the record of one people's quest to understand it.

Then do bring your god around for a chat.
I have several questions.;)

sojourner

"Why the Bible may NOT be the Inspired Word of God..."

Uh, easy answer, because there is no god.
There's not? Why wasn't I provided with the memo on this? Did this come out of R&D? (Idiots!) I'm sorry. I've fallen prey to practical jokes before. You're going to have to provide me with some solid evidence for God's non-existence. Otherwise, I'm afraid I'm going to have to treat this message as nothing but spam.
Perhaps you could run this by the experts over in the Spiritual Development Department before you broadcast it throughout the corporation. There are laws against false advertising, especially as it reflects negatively upon management.

sojourner

These people believe a god exist so we must respect their beliefs.....but contrary to what they believe it seems the book they thump, if it is the word of their god, needs some MAJOR revisions. Can you imagine...the word of this omnipotent...omniscient needing corrections...???....Well, apparently it does. It's incorrect on various levels and yet..the "believers" still thump it.
I don't recall ever having thumped a Bible. I've done a lot of things to a Bible -- but I've never thumped one.
Is that how you determine whether the Bible is ripe?

sojourner

First of all, we don't have "salespeople." You only need salespeople if you're trying to sell something. Since the Church is a non-profit organization, we don't have anything to sell. But we've got lots to give!
Secondly, I've never thought of the Bible as anything more than words. What else, pray tell, would it be? :shrug:

Who are these "men?" I thought men wrote it -- not "men." And I don't recall the Church ever using the term "god." We use the term God. You use the term "god."

I think you've been confused by watching too many back-to-back episodes of SOAP.

OmarKhayyam

"First of all, we don't have "salespeople." You only need salespeople if you're trying to sell something. Since the Church is a non-profit organization, we don't have anything to sell."

ROFLMAO

Done in the best Elmer Gantry tradition.:D

Of course you're selling something. You selling salvation for a problem you created.

"Get right with my god and save your immortal soul. The collection plate will be passed shortly. Do remember our soul saving work is supported only by your free will gifts and offerings."

Non-profit??? That is even funnier. Until about 1870 the HRCC was the richest private organization in human history.

The 700 Club admits to an income of over a million a year.

You run a CON. Pure and simple. You convince the gullible and ignorant they have a soul. That they need to save it. That you know how and for a small fee you'll save them.

And the ignorant fools anti up. And you laugh all the way to the bank.

Little Joe Gould

Seeking God
That regardless of who read it, where or when, it would be 100% clear to the "seeker" of truth?

"Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the spirit which is of God; that we might know the things that freely given to us of God. Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual."

1 Corinthians 2:12-13

The Bible may be open to subjective interpretation, but the Holy Ghost is the true teacher. The Bible is meant to connect God to humanity through the Word, but the connection leads to the blessing of the true teacher, the Holy Spirit, none other than God Himself.