• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why spell it g-d?

Abram

Abraham
I've got to know why and who is spelling it g-d. What belief system (religion) and what is the reason behind this. Should I be posting g-d out of respect for their belief or God for mine? Any insight would be appreciated.

Thanks,

P.S. Even my spell check doesn't know this spelling.:biglaugh:

linwood

Abram said:
I've got to know why and who is spelling it g-d. What belief system (religion) and what is the reason behind this.
I believe it`s Judaic, I could be wrong.

Aqualung

Tasty
It's just respect. This way you're not using the name in vain, just for the sake of an internet debate. At least that's what I understand of the practice.

eric

From Judaism 101 (http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm#Writing):

Jews do not casually write any Name of God. This practice does not come from the commandment not to take the Lord's Name in vain, as many suppose. In Jewish thought, that commandment refers solely to oath-taking, and is a prohibition against swearing by God's Name falsely or frivolously (the word normally translated as "in vain" literally means "for falsehood").
Normally, we avoid writing the Name by substituting letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God."

Abram

Abraham
eric said:
From Judaism 101 (http://www.jewfaq.org/name.htm#Writing):

Jews do not casually write any Name of God. This practice does not come from the commandment not to take the Lord's Name in vain, as many suppose. In Jewish thought, that commandment refers solely to oath-taking, and is a prohibition against swearing by God's Name falsely or frivolously (the word normally translated as "in vain" literally means "for falsehood").
Normally, we avoid writing the Name by substituting letters or syllables, for example, writing "G-d" instead of "God."
I liked the simplicity of that site. To write it is not bad, it's the concern of what someone might do with it. So if I was a Jew I could never destroy a piece of paper with any of his names on it? What do you do with it?

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Deuteronomy 12
  1. These are the statutes and the ordinances, which ye shall observe to do in the land which HaShem, the G-d of thy fathers, hath given thee to possess it, all the days that ye live upon the earth.
  2. Ye shall surely destroy all the places, wherein the nations that ye are to dispossess served their gods, upon the high mountains, and upon the hills, and under every leafy tree.
  3. And ye shall break down their altars, and dash in pieces their pillars, and burn their Asherim with fire; and ye shall hew down the graven images of their gods; and ye shall destroy their name out of that place.
  4. Ye shall not do so unto HaShem your G-d.
By writing "G-d" one precludes he possibility of destroying the written name in any way - even by accident.

Aqualung

Tasty
I don't think anybody would get mad if you didn't. After all, it's not your religion. But, if you are leaning toward yes, don't go against your concience.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Abram said:
I liked the simplicity of that site. To write it is not bad, it's the concern of what someone might do with it. So if I was a Jew I could never destroy a piece of paper with any of his names on it? What do you do with it?
give it to a rabbi to have it properly buried, like old worn out siddurs and old teffilin are sometimes.

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
I try to use 'G-d' when discussing a topic in Judaism, but sometimes I forget - I've never had anyone say anything about it.

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
Maize said:
I try to use 'G-d' when discussing a topic in Judaism, but sometimes I forget - I've never had anyone say anything about it.
I went through a phase of doing that...........;)

pdoel

The ironic thing about it, is it's just letters and characters. Whether it's spelled God or g-d, it still means the same thing.

They're just symbols used to reference the same thing. So I really see no difference.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
Bouncing Ball said:
So i try to be nice typing God with a capital, it should be actually G-d?

Is there a difference in G-d or g-d?
i suppose one could say that the big G is the G-d of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob while the little g means other g-ds.

but i just write it like that because i choose to, you don't really have to if you don't want to.

BucephalusBB

ABACABB
pdoel said:
The ironic thing about it, is it's just letters and characters. Whether it's spelled God or g-d, it still means the same thing.

They're just symbols used to reference the same thing. So I really see no difference.
True, on the other hand, my real name can be written with a "k" or a "c" and when they write it with a "c" I really don't like it :sarcastic