• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why say Magic instead of Placebo?

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
No, as it Is not used in proper English, dictionaries, or common English It has not succeeded.

First of all, there's no such thing as "proper English". That concept is a relic of linguistic elitism. The closest we have in America is "General American English", but that's mostly relegated to formal settings, and doesn't supercede regional, cultural, or subcultural dialects.

Second of all, in the relevant thread, I showed how it was in the dictionary provided to me. (Frankly the only one that's even remotely close to being an "authority" on this matter is the Oxford English Dictionary, but... well, it's not free to access.)

Third of all, as I've said many times, dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. If a dictionary doesn't include a definition that's used among a significant population, then it's the dictionary that's wrong and needs updating. And yes, that includes the OED.

Last edited:

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
First of all, there's no such thing as "proper English". That concept is a relic of linguistic elitism. The closest we have in America is "General American English", but that's mostly relegated to formal settings, and doesn't supercede regional, cultural, or subcultural dialects.

Second of all, in the relevant thread, I showed how it was in the dictionary provided to me. (Frankly the only one that's even remotely close to being an "authority" on this matter is the Oxford English Dictionary, but... well, it's not free to access.)

Third of all, as I've said many times, dictionaries are descriptive, not prescriptive. If a dictionary doesn't include a definition that's used among a significant population, then it's the dictionary that's wrong and needs updating. And yes, that includes the OED.

So should the definition of literally also include figuratively?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Why call it magic instead of the placebo? Well that's part of the trigger imo.

Here until I storm off again
Premium Member
Magic, theoretically, should be able to work over any distance and regardless of knowledge of the target. The placebo effect requires the 'target' to both know what is being done and to expect result X. Not to mention the placebo effect does nothing to things like cancer or what have you. You may feel better, but the cancer is going to be there.

For me that's the key distinction. Magic ought to work with only the caster being aware of it.

"I'm going to define magic myself, then use my personal definition to prove others wrong!"

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
So should the definition of literally also include figuratively?

Should the definition of weird be roughly synonymous with "fate", as it was a thousand years ago?

English has no real central authority, so it's ultimately up to you. For what it's worth, dictionary.com's 4th definition of "literally" already contains this meaning shift: "in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually:"

Besides, that bit of frustration is only a few years old, and could still be corrected, or at least kept dialectical.

EDIT: This video seems a fairly decent introduction to this phenomenon of language:

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically

because one does not need to have to understand the trick to enjoy the performance.

magic is a trick played on ones ignorance. placebo is not always a successful trick

Tricks in different context

Premium Member

because one does not need to have to understand the trick to enjoy the performance.

magic is a trick played on ones ignorance. placebo is not always a successful trick

Tricks in different context

Strange, then, that magic almost always requires an extensive knowledge of the world.

Taylor Seraphim

Angel of Reason
Should the definition of weird be roughly synonymous with "fate", as it was a thousand years ago?

English has no real central authority, so it's ultimately up to you. For what it's worth, dictionary.com's 4th definition of "literally" already contains this meaning shift: "in effect; in substance; very nearly; virtually:"

Besides, that bit of frustration is only a few years old, and could still be corrected, or at least kept dialectical.

EDIT: This video seems a fairly decent introduction to this phenomenon of language:

IF you refuse to have standardization in a language that language cannot be used to communicate.

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Why say "Magic" instead of "placebo"? The answer is quite simple. Magic is bringing about real change in accordance with the Will, not bringing about false perceptions. Though I will say that the placebo effect is an excellent example of lesser magic.

Premium Member
I'm always excited to be tagged but I'm unsure what your saying in this post so I can't elaborate

@Taylor Seraphim claimed that magicians who do not study or have knowledge reach the same end as those of us who do. I tagged you and some of our friends here for comparison with the "majority" of the online occult community to show that is simply untrue.