• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Jews Can Eat Pork

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
So I'm a Jew and I eat pork and here's why I will not bring the vengeance of the Lord upon myself: God was the original FDA; the whole point in having Kosher laws apply to specific aspects of daily life, such as diet, was to prevent people from getting sick. Back in those days, there was no way to cook pork at a high enough temperature to kill off all the parasites. Now that we have the means to properly cook the meat, there is no reason that we can't eat it. You have to look at the spirit in which the Lord created these laws. I just get sick and tired of all of these self-righteous rabbis running around telling their communities what they can and can not eat like God is going to give a flying Harah. The only reason that God created these Kosher laws was to protect us from ourselves; now we don't need him to do that. He did not make the pig as another apple in the garden of Eden to tempt us with; the thing is filthy, disgusting, and rolls around in its own fecal matter: there is nothing TEMPTING about it! The fact that we are willing to eat such a disgusting animal with no regard for its cleanliness should be taken as a sign of piety. Every single time I even THINK about this argument I start foaming at the mouth with rage. This is the ultimate example of how STUPID people can be sometimes. The worst part is when I get some bureaucratic-technicality-driven Jewish speaker who is so hell-bent on following every thing about the Torah tooth-and-nail that suddenly STUPID LITTLE THINGS THAT DONT EVEN MATTER become gigantic things while brainwashed Muslims blow up our homeland (not intended to be disrespectful to Muslims; only the brainwashed ones). So the next time you go out to a restaurant and realize that your damned hot-dog may actually have pork in it, don't go running to temple like a little Zayin praying for forgiveness; the Lord has bigger things on his mind then what animal you ate without getting sick.

Shalom

pork isn't kosher

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I think it was Christopher Hitchens who pointed out in his book 'God is not great' that archeologists find that it was only the Jews which avoided eating pork back in ye olden days and that other tribes had no problem with this.

Indicates that there was no real harm to eating pork and the restriction was just the usual religious silliness. Its somewhat innevitable that people attempt to justify this practice so that it makes ancestral Jews appear wise rather than just superstitious picky eaters.

Christopher Hitchens was not a good advocate of the swine.
Muslims spare this animal and don't eat it.
And the swine would have liked to be saved.
The swine would have abhorred Hitchens for his pleading.

Regards

ScuzManiac

I also know old timers (Christians) that won't eat lamb...

You know, the ones that have never actually read The Bible.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Health benefit, presumably. Shermana claimed that the prohibition on pork is beneficial for preventing disease. I'm wondering if he maintains this position for all the laws of kashrut.

... though it doesn't necessarily have to be a matter of disease. Any health benefit - or any physical benefit, really - would work.

Agreed. Avoid the pork and have a fly sandwich? No thanks.