• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is YOUR Mythology "True" but not Others'

MSizer

MSizer
If you're christian, what makes the myth of the resurrection "true" while the myth of mohamed's night journey is not?

If you're muslim, why is it the other way around?

Any other mythology to which you might adhere?

xkatz

If you're christian, what makes the myth of the resurrection "true" while the myth of mohamed's night journey is not?

They should not be taken as factual, but instead metaphorical. There is a deeper meaning than just Jesus happening to rise from the dead after being crucified and the same goes for Muhammad.

DavyCrocket2003

I don't know what the night journey is. Someone want to fill me in? I know I could just google it but it's more fun to hear it from a person.

The_Evelyonian

Old-School Member
I don't know what the night journey is. Someone want to fill me in? I know I could just google it but it's more fun to hear it from a person.

Here you go

Wikipedia said:
Islamic tradition relates that in 620, Muhammad experienced the Isra and Mi'raj, a miraculous journey said to have occurred with the angel Gabriel in one night. In the first part of the journey, the Isra, he is said to have travelled from Mecca to "the farthest mosque" (in Arabic: masjid al-aqsa), which Muslims usually identify with the Al-Aqsa Mosque in Jerusalem. In the second part, the Mi'raj, Muhammad is said to have toured heaven and hell, and spoken with earlier prophets, such as Abraham, Moses, and Jesus.

dust1n

Zindīq
They should not be taken as factual, but instead metaphorical. There is a deeper meaning than just Jesus happening to rise from the dead after being crucified and the same goes for Muhammad.

Like the sun reaching it's lowest point in the sky in the middle of the Southern Crux from December 22nd to the 25th, then rising again.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler

MY mythology is the one true belief system simply because I have so much more faith than everyone else.

There, I said it.
Now all you have to do is prove it false.

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!

If religion is metaphorical, then the entirety of Genesis is a metaphor, therefore Jehovah simply has no authority as a demiurge.

Since Adam and Eve are metaphorical, there was no original sin. As there was no original sin, there would be no "need" for the Christ figure to die for everyone's sins. As there was no resurrection, and no creation, all three Abrahamics fall apart immediately.

DavyCrocket2003

Here you go
Thanks.

Well, that sounds good to me. I am totally open to the possibility that Muhammad was a true prophet and that he had these experiences. In fact, it seems more likely than not to me. Wish I could have met Muhammad. I sure would have liked to talk to him.

challupa

If religion is metaphorical, then the entirety of Genesis is a metaphor, therefore Jehovah simply has no authority as a demiurge.

Since Adam and Eve are metaphorical, there was no original sin. As there was no original sin, there would be no "need" for the Christ figure to die for everyone's sins. As there was no resurrection, and no creation, all three Abrahamics fall apart immediately.
Pretty much. The Abrahamic god has always "fallen apart" for me.

DavyCrocket2003

Someone: "But the teachings of Muhammad are incompatible with your own beliefs."

Me: "Are they? What did Muhammad really teach? How can we know exactly what he said and taught as the word of Allah? There is quite a bit of disagreement on some of the things he said and did. How much of that is factual and how much is erroneous?"
[/Preemptive Strike]

Of course, the same thing can be said of Jesus. But that's a different issue.

DavyCrocket2003

I was thinking it, but I wasn't going to say it. :)
That's why I went ahead and said the obvious, so no one else would have too. lol. But really, I don't think we can trust the modern incarnation of religious figures that are thousands of years old. Too many people insert their own ideas over time. Look at how Christianity has changed over the two millennia it has been around.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

No, they don't.

They are not dependent on literal mythology at all.

Jeremiah

Are you asking about objective truth? Or subjective truth?

logician

ANd what deeper meaning is that?

AxisMundi

E Pluribus Unum!!!
No, they don't.

They are not dependent on literal mythology at all.

Don't get out much, do you? ;)

Go to any Fundie littered area of the US and try stating that their relgiion is metaphorical, and that the bible isn't the word of Jehovah and to be taken litterally, and you can consider yourself lucky to be merely run out of town on a rail.