• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is "Tyre" still here? Is God's judgment flawed, did he lie, or am I missing something?

Me Myself

Back to my username
The only thing claimed to be infallable is the original revelation. A scribe making an incorrect translation or mispelling can change the whole meaning.

Then one must judge each word of the bible by itself, without pretending it is the unaltered word of God.

rusra02

Premium Member
From KJV:

Ezekiel 26

1And it came to pass in the eleventh year, in the first day of the month, that the word of the LORD came unto me, saying,

2Son of man, because that Tyrus hath said against Jerusalem, Aha, she is broken that was the gates of the people: she is turned unto me: I shall be replenished, now she is laid waste:

3Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I am against thee, O Tyrus, and will cause many nations to come up against thee, as the sea causeth his waves to come up.

4And they shall destroy the walls of Tyrus, and break down her towers: I will also scrape her dust from her, and make her like the top of a rock.

5It shall be a place for the spreading of nets in the midst of the sea: for I have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD: and it shall become a spoil to the nations.

6And her daughters which are in the field shall be slain by the sword; and they shall know that I am the LORD.

7For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will bring upon Tyrus Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and companies, and much people.

8He shall slay with the sword thy daughters in the field: and he shall make a fort against thee, and cast a mount against thee, and lift up the buckler against thee.

9And he shall set engines of war against thy walls, and with his axes he shall break down thy towers.

10By reason of the abundance of his horses their dust shall cover thee: thy walls shall shake at the noise of the horsemen, and of the wheels, and of the chariots, when he shall enter into thy gates, as men enter into a city wherein is made a breach.

11With the hoofs of his horses shall he tread down all thy streets: he shall slay thy people by the sword, and thy strong garrisons shall go down to the ground.

12And they shall make a spoil of thy riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise: and they shall break down thy walls, and destroy thy pleasant houses: and they shall lay thy stones and thy timber and thy dust in the midst of the water.

13And I will cause the noise of thy songs to cease; and the sound of thy harps shall be no more heard.

14And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD.

15Thus saith the Lord GOD to Tyrus; Shall not the isles shake at the sound of thy fall, when the wounded cry, when the slaughter is made in the midst of thee?

16Then all the princes of the sea shall come down from their thrones, and lay away their robes, and put off their broidered garments: they shall clothe themselves with trembling; they shall sit upon the ground, and shall tremble at every moment, and be astonished at thee.

17And they shall take up a lamentation for thee, and say to thee, How art thou destroyed, that wast inhabited of seafaring men, the renowned city, which wast strong in the sea, she and her inhabitants, which cause their terror to be on all that haunt it!

18Now shall the isles tremble in the day of thy fall; yea, the isles that are in the sea shall be troubled at thy departure.

19For thus saith the Lord GOD; When I shall make thee a desolate city, like the cities that are not inhabited; when I shall bring up the deep upon thee, and great waters shall cover thee;

20When I shall bring thee down with them that descend into the pit, with the people of old time, and shall set thee in the low parts of the earth, in places desolate of old, with them that go down to the pit, that thou be not inhabited; and I shall set glory in the land of the living;
21I will make thee a terror, and thou shalt be no more: though thou be sought for, yet shalt thou never be found again, saith the Lord GOD.

(emphasis added, obviously. god doesn't emphasis with bold or italics)

Ok, this Biblical scholar ("Tyre" by Robert I Bradshaw) suggests that Tyre was 30,000 at its peak in Biblical times. If the current population (or measured in 2003) was 117,000 people AND the geographical location is PHYSICALLY bigger because of mineral deposits on its banks (Tyre, Lebanon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), then in what since was Tyre 'never... found again'?

Pertinent is this quote: "Of the original Tyre known to Solomon and the prophets of Israel, not a vestige remains except in its rock-cut sepulchres on the mountain sides, and in foundation walls.. Even the island, which Alexander the Great, in his siege of the city, converted into a cape by filling up the water between it and the mainland, contains no distinguishable relics of an earlier period than that of the Crusades. The modern town, all of which is comparatively new, occupies the northern half of what was once the island, while nearly all the remainder of the surface is covered with undistinguishable ruins." (Lands of the Bible, 1880 p.529)
In 332 BCE, Alexander the Great used the debris from the mainland portion of the demolished city of Tyre to fill in the sea so he could attack the island city.

1robin

Christian/Baptist

As this issue seems to depend on the nature of the destruction of Tyre then I wil submit the following.

5. Phoenician Tyre would never again be found
Bible passage: Ezekiel 26:21
Written: Between 587-586 BC

In Ezekiel 26:21, the prophet said that the Phoenician city of Tyre would be brought to an end and would never again be found. When Alexander the Great destroyed the city in 332 BC, he brought an end to the Phoenician Empire. The Empire was never revived or "found" again. As for the city itself, it has been torn down and built upon by a succession of foreign powers. Today, finding artifacts from the original Phoenician Tyre is difficult. According to the Columbia Encyclopedia, Fifth Edition: "The principal ruins of the city today are those of buildings erected by the Crusaders. There are some Greco-Roman remains, but any left by the Phoenicians lie underneath the present town." - Copyright © George Konig, Ray Konig, 100Prophecies.org

Ezekiel 26:21:

I will bring you to a horrible end and you will be no more. You will be sought, but you will never again be found, declares the Sovereign Lord."

6. Phoenician Tyre would never be rebuilt
Bible passage: Ezekiel 26:14
Written: Between 587-586 BC
In Ezekiel 26:14, the prophet says the Phoenician city of Tyre would be destroyed and never be rebuilt. This was fulfilled when Alexander the Great conquered Tyre in 332 BC. His conquest brought an end to the Phoenician Empire. The empire never recovered from the attack. And so, it could never rebuild Tyre. Other nations and empires have built and rebuilt cities on or near the original Phoenician site. - Copyright © George Konig, Ray Konig, 100Prophecies.org

Ezekiel 26:14:

I will make you a bare rock, and you will become a place to spread fishnets. You will never be rebuilt, for I the Lord have spoken, declares the Sovereign Lord.

Notes: The above examples of Bible prophecies fulfilled by the Phoenician city-state of Tyre are from the second edition of 100 Prophecies and are copyrighted by the authors, George Konig, Ray Konig, and 100prophecies.org. Click here to learn more about the new, expanded and revised third edition of the 100 Prophecies book.
Ezekiel's Tyre Prophecy Defended

dust1n

Zindīq
Sorry about that.

When, anywhere, in the relevant passages does it talk about the destruction of the Phoenicians, the culture, or the empire? He is talking specifically about Tyrus. And that again ignores the fact that GOD said that the Babylonians would destroy Tyre, not the Romans.

And even then, Alexander did not destroy Phoenicia:

"
Cyrus the Great conquered Phoenicia in 539 BC. The Persians divided Phoenicia into four vassal kingdoms: Sidon, Tyre, Arwad, and Byblos. They prospered, furnishing fleets for the Persian kings. Phoenician influence declined after this. It is likely that much of the Phoenician population migrated to Carthage and other colonies following the Persian conquest. In 350 or 345 BC a rebellion in Sidon led by Tennes was crushed by Artaxerxes III. Its destruction was described by Diodorus Siculus.

Alexander the Great took Tyre in 332 BC after the Siege of Tyre. Alexander was exceptionally harsh to Tyre, executing 2,000 of the leading citizens, but he maintained the king in power. He gained control of the other cities peacefully: the ruler of Aradus submitted; the king of Sidon was overthrown. The rise of Hellenistic Greece gradually ousted the remnants of Phoenicia's former dominance over the Eastern Mediterranean trade routes. Phoenician culture disappeared entirely in the motherland. Carthage continued to flourish in North Africa. It oversaw the mining of iron and precious metals from Iberia, and used its considerable naval power and mercenary armies to protect commercial interests. Rome finally destroyed it in 146 BC, at the end of the Punic Wars.
Following Alexander, the Phoenician homeland was controlled by a succession of Hellenistic rulers: Laomedon (323 BC), Ptolemy I (320), Antigonus II (315), Demetrius (301), and Seleucus (296). Between 286 and 197 BC, Phoenicia (except for Aradus) fell to the Ptolemies of Egypt, who installed the high priests of Astarte as vassal rulers in Sidon (Eshmunazar I, Tabnit, Eshmunazar II).

In 197 BC, Phoenicia along with Syria reverted to the Seleucids. The region became increasingly Hellenized, although Tyre became autonomous in 126 BC, followed by Sidon in 111. Syria, including Phoenicia, were seized by king Tigranes the Great of Armenia from 82 until 69 BC, when he was defeated by Lucullus. In 65 BC Pompey finally incorporated the territory as part of the Roman province of Syria."

Phoenicia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
Its always possible that Nebachadnezzer fell short of god's expectations. Lots of examples of that in the Bible. If I remember right, he gets punished by god a few times later for being prideful. /shrug

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
"Why is "Tyre" still here? Is God's judgment flawed, did he lie, or am I missing something?"

Well obviously they had a spare Tyre.

dust1n

Zindīq
Its always possible that Nebachadnezzer fell short of god's expectations. Lots of examples of that in the Bible. If I remember right, he gets punished by god a few times later for being prideful. /shrug

Seems like God's expectations fell short of Nebachadnezzer.

dust1n

Zindīq
Pertinent is this quote: "Of the original Tyre known to Solomon and the prophets of Israel, not a vestige remains except in its rock-cut sepulchres on the mountain sides, and in foundation walls.. Even the island, which Alexander the Great, in his siege of the city, converted into a cape by filling up the water between it and the mainland, contains no distinguishable relics of an earlier period than that of the Crusades. The modern town, all of which is comparatively new, occupies the northern half of what was once the island, while nearly all the remainder of the surface is covered with undistinguishable ruins." (Lands of the Bible, 1880 p.529)

Well, not only is this not true, as all of my sources indicate, but your source is from 1880.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Seems like God's expectations fell short of Nebachadnezzer.
Your interpretation of what God expected of Nebachadnezzer is what fell short. There is a reason God used "they" over and over in this prophecy.

This oracle clearly offers two pairings: the I/they of Adonai YHWH the sovereign, leading the nations; the he/personified-possession army of Nebuchadnezzar, who though still under Adonai YHWH's sovereign control, is given credit for being able to "will" do things on his own, with his army under him and subsumed under his identity. The oracle therefore indicates that Nebuchadnezzar will do specific actions, and that "nations" will perform certain actions. Nebuchadnezzar brings one of those nations, but the language tells us that the actions of 3-5 and 12-14 may be performed by any nations God brings against Tyre and need not be actions of Nebuchadnezzar.
Verses 3-5 and 12-14 are "I/they" verses -- and form a minor chiastic structure around the central core of verses describing Nebuchadnezzar's actions alone. The linguistic pattern of this passage indicates that the "they" of v. 12 are the nations of v. 4. Not only is the pronoun ("they") the same, but in addition, only in these verses is Adonai YHWH the sole leader, and two unique actions -- net spreading, scraping -- are the same as those ascribed to the nations in 3-5.
Slaying of the enemy is ascribed throughout the oracle, as would be expected of a common element of war. Bottom line: "they" in v. 12 does not refer to Nebuchadnezzar and his army; they, as one of the "nations" brought by Adonai YHWH, would have qualified to fulfill those passages, but so could any other nation brought against Tyre in its history following.

I would probably save us time if you would please read the explenation at this site to see if there is a very obvious explenation for an issue before it is sited as proof for anything.

1robin

Christian/Baptist

dust1n

Zindīq
Your interpretation of what God expected of Nebachadnezzer is what fell short. There is a reason God used "they" over and over in this prophecy.

This oracle clearly offers two pairings: the I/they of Adonai YHWH the sovereign, leading the nations; the he/personified-possession army of Nebuchadnezzar, who though still under Adonai YHWH's sovereign control, is given credit for being able to "will" do things on his own, with his army under him and subsumed under his identity. The oracle therefore indicates that Nebuchadnezzar will do specific actions, and that "nations" will perform certain actions. Nebuchadnezzar brings one of those nations, but the language tells us that the actions of 3-5 and 12-14 may be performed by any nations God brings against Tyre and need not be actions of Nebuchadnezzar.
Verses 3-5 and 12-14 are "I/they" verses -- and form a minor chiastic structure around the central core of verses describing Nebuchadnezzar's actions alone. The linguistic pattern of this passage indicates that the "they" of v. 12 are the nations of v. 4. Not only is the pronoun ("they") the same, but in addition, only in these verses is Adonai YHWH the sole leader, and two unique actions -- net spreading, scraping -- are the same as those ascribed to the nations in 3-5.

Slaying of the enemy is ascribed throughout the oracle, as would be expected of a common element of war. Bottom line: "they" in v. 12 does not refer to Nebuchadnezzar and his army; they, as one of the "nations" brought by Adonai YHWH, would have qualified to fulfill those passages, but so could any other nation brought against Tyre in its history following.

I would probably save us time if you would please read the explenation at this site to see if there is a very obvious explenation for an issue before it is sited as proof for anything.

Except this never happened...

7For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will bring upon Tyrus Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and companies, and much people.

8He shall slay with the sword thy daughters in the field: and he shall make a fort against thee, and cast a mount against thee, and lift up the buckler against thee.

9And he shall set engines of war against thy walls, and with his axes he shall break down thy towers.

10By reason of the abundance of his horses their dust shall cover thee: thy walls shall shake at the noise of the horsemen, and of the wheels, and of the chariots, when he shall enter into thy gates, as men enter into a city wherein is made a breach.

11With the hoofs of his horses shall he tread down all thy streets: he shall slay thy people by the sword, and thy strong garrisons shall go down to the ground.

12And they shall make a spoil of thy riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise: and they shall break down thy walls, and destroy thy pleasant houses: and they shall lay thy stones and thy timber and thy dust in the midst of the water.

13And I will cause the noise of thy songs to cease; and the sound of thy harps shall be no more heard.

It also again suggesting that God was ****** off enough at Tyrus to condemn to complete and utter destruction with no return ever (even though it returned), that he waited over 3 centuries to kill the great-great-great-great-great grandchildren of the people who, in fact, prevented the 'he' (as in Nebuchadrezzar) from doing verse 10-11 says that 'he' will do.

The whole 'pronoun' argument seems to indicate that pronoun usage wasn't very strict, or even nonsensical. The 'they' could easily be referring to the 'horses' as much as it could be the 'nations.' In fact, it's grammatically incorrect to use a pronoun for a noun that was mentioned about 10 lines ago. It makes more sense that the 'they' is referring to the horses of Nebuchadrezzar.

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Except this never happened...

This was fullfilled by: The Phoenician historians make mention of the siege of Tyre by Nebuchadnezzar; and Berosus speaks of his subduing the whole country of Phoenicia, in which Tyre was; with whom agree Philostratus and Megasthenes F8: a king of kings from the north; who had many kings tributaries to him; the metropolis of whose kingdom lay somewhat, though not fully, north to Tyre: with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and companies, and
much people: with a very numerous army, consisting of a large cavalry; horses being very numerous in the countries subject to him; and which he mounted his men on, both for their more easy travelling, and for their better fighting, and for the terror of their enemies. Ezekiel 26:7 - John Gill's Exposition of the Bible, New Testament Commentary I do not see a problem so far. If the fact that their music shall be heard no more then if you keep in mind this is speaking of the total destruction caused by primariply Nebuchednezzar but includes Alexander then it is no issue either.
12 And they shall make a spoil of thy riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise: and they shall break down thy walls, and destroy thy pleasant houses: and they shall lay thy stones and thy timber and thy dust in the midst of the water. 13 And I will cause the noise of thy songs to cease; and the sound of thy harps shall be no more heard. 14 And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD.
As noted above, we return here to the they/I pairing indicating that "nations" will do these things -- which would allow that Babylon or any other nation could fulfill these passages. However, here Alexander is the only one who made a spoil of Tyre (Nebuchadnezzar got ripped off, per Ezekiel 29); and only he qualified to have broken down Tyre's "pleasant houses" -- likely the good stuff on the island. Ezekiel's Tyre Prophecy Defended

It also again suggesting that God was ****** off enough at Tyrus to condemn to complete and utter destruction with no return ever (even though it returned), that he waited over 3 centuries to kill the great-great-great-great-great grandchildren of the people who, in fact, prevented the 'he' (as in Nebuchadrezzar) from doing verse 10-11 says that 'he' will do.
This is not unusual, many judgements in the bible were exacted over long periods of time. Babylon for instance. I do not know why. However that has nothing to do with whether they happened or not. You may object that you don't think this makes sence (which is a different conversation) but not that the prophecy is innacurate.

The whole 'pronoun' argument seems to indicate that pronoun usage wasn't very strict, or even nonsensical. The 'they' could easily be referring to the 'horses' as much as it could be the 'nations.' In fact, it's grammatically incorrect to use a pronoun for a noun that was mentioned about 10 lines ago. It makes more sense that the 'they' is referring to the horses of Nebuchadrezzar.
Every single commentary I found had a virtually consistent stance on this issue. Isn't t it even remotely possible that our current semantic and grammer expectations are not exactly what they had 2000 plus years ago. The bible contains a great variety of language styles. If there was only a single nation mentioned in the prophecy then I could entertain your "horses" theory. Since there were two and possibly three nations involved then I believe as well as most commentators that is what was referred to. By your theory "axes" is more logical since horses can't tear down towers and are not that intentional as far as this issue is concerned. You are starting to soundk a little desperate with an appeal to hairsplitting. Even from a strictly secular viewpoint I could see no serious flaw with this prophecy if cultural language use is allowed for. When this is one of over a thousand fulfilled prophecies it seems kind of like spitting in the wind.

What is your hypothesis? That Ezekiel guessed correctly an event that was to begin in the near future finally completed hundreds of years after he predicted it?

Here are additional sites. Some are fairly detailed. There is more going on in this prophecy than I knew.
http://www.studylight.org/com/mhc-com/view.cgi?book=eze&chapter=026
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Ezekiel+26%3A1-21&version=NASB
http://www.konig.org/page8.htm
http://www.bibleevidences.com/prophecy.htm
http://www.equip.org/articles/fulfilled-prophecy-as-an-apologetic/

Last edited:

1robin

Christian/Baptist
Then one must judge each word of the bible by itself, without pretending it is the unaltered word of God.
Most Christians do not regard each single word as Holy and perfect, only the original revelation. This is consistent with the Chicago statement of faith. I regard the Bible as containing holy teaching and revelation and most scholars suggest it does indeed contain virtually all the original revelation within the textual tradition but approx 5% of additional information has been added. Since the invention of computers at the very least the modern bible can be compared with the oldest text. It is remarkably though not perfectly reliable. Most imperfections are known and footnoted.