• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is this board so obsessed with restrooms?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
...and with whose in them and whose doing what?

I never realized that people think about public toilets so much. It's so bizarre to me, and I don't understand it! Why do we need multiple threads (even besides the joke threads) and convos in threads about restrooms at any given time??? :oops:o_O

So what about restrooms is so fascinating to the denizens of RF? :shrug:

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I'd say that just because there are multiple threads on a subject, doesn't mean that the subject is particularly fascinating.
The people who are bringing up seem to find them fascinating. I wasn't saying they're objectively fascinating. I certainly don't think so.

JustGeorge

Not As Much Fun As I Look
Staff member
Premium Member

I never realized that people think about public toilets so much. It's so bizarre to me, and I don't understand it! Why do we need multiple threads (even besides the joke threads) and convos in threads about restrooms at any given time??? :oops:o_O
I find people fixate on toilets and restrooms anyways... on and off of RF.
The decorative soaps. :)
I'd say that just because there are multiple threads on a subject, doesn't mean that the subject is particularly fascinating.
I agree. Sometimes when I'm going through the "what's new", I notice there's 3-5 threads on the exact same thing(and I don't click on any of them).

I think sometimes people post whatever's hot in the media, without realizing several other members have done the same thing.

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member

Well, i mentioned yesterday that we haven't had a blocked toilet at RF at least since I've been here. And we do need to keep groundskeeper @Revoltingest occupied keeping them clean and free flowing otherwise he might start getting frivolous.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

Because such a topic involves our precious bodily fluids.

9aa0d3041cf8847dd34c64680ec63f583276aa913415e3cb1c85d6f93445b54c_1.jpg

Viker

Häxan

Boredom.
Running out of fresh topics.
Gotta go potty.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member

PTDS: Potty Training Dysfunction Syndrome.

Last edited:

Ella S.

*temp banned*
I don't know how it is in other countries, but in the US, restroom usage has been the subject of serious legislature for a long time now. It was a talking point of segregation. Now it's a talking point regarding transgender people.

It has never really been about the restrooms. The restrooms are a proxy for a broader culture war. There are a few people who are genuinely disgusted by indirectly contacting people who are different from them, either by using the same toilets or simply by passing by them, and they're often catered to in order to help spearhead these issues.

The idea, I think, is more about overwhelming the public with consistent racist and transphobic narratives in order to normalize these subjects. While the restroom bills might fail to be passed, whether they passed or not was never of serious concern. They're meant more as a performance for hate.

If they pass, all it means is they're doing even better than they were reasonably hoping to, and it opens the door to push more extreme laws now that the Overton Window has shifted in favor of them. On the other hand, if these matters stay absurd, then we've still given an avenue for bigots to rally behind and connect with one another.

So there is a bit of counter-propaganda to highlighting how ridiculous these bills and the concern surrounding them are, as a way to inoculate against these political tactics. It's a form of damage control mixed with a call to action.

Which means that keyboard warriors have to talk about the restrooms because it's the newest hot topic battleground. Maybe some genuine activism could come out of it. Really, I think people feel an emotional need to vent and argue about it on both sides of the issue; any political consequences of these discussions are minute and secondary to trying to feel like one has some control over the discourse. So they start their own threads, of varying quality.