• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Is the Killer of British MP Jo Cox Not Being Called a “Terrorist”?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Salaam,

An assassination. I don't see how it was aimed at spreading terror.

If Anders Behring Breivik carried out the killings he carried out with the intention of spreading terror, then that was terrorism.

Insofar as it appears that at least part of the reason Omar Mateen carried out his attack was to spread terror, his attack was at least partly a terrorist one. It seems that he had more than one motivation for acting as he did (self-hate being one of them), but insofar as he claimed allegiance to IS before launching his attack, and insofar as IS have called for terrorist attacks, almost regardless of his motivations, his attack had the effect of spreading terror and on those grounds could be labelled a terrorist attack.

But I do agree that there is something of a tendency in many of the media, and in the pronouncements of others, to associate all Muslims with terrorists, and therefore to label all Muslim acts of violence (be they crimes, assassinations, acts of war, or acts of terrorism) as acts of terrorism. And that we should challenge this.

Wassalaam

"Death to traitors, freedom for Britain" isn't terror.

This message means that anyone who dare to follow the same path of Jo Cox then his end will be death.
That isn't spreading terror.

yiostheoy

A debate between me and @Aquitaine about whether the killer of UK labour MP Jo Cox
was a terrorist which is what i think of him while Aquantaine think of it more to be an assassination
than terrorism,

What do you think of this crime of killing the Labour MP Jo Cox, is it an assassination or a terrorist act?

The same thoughts i found in an article by Glenn Greenwald.
https://theintercept.com/2016/06/17...itish-mp-jo-cox-not-being-called-a-terrorist/
Do you also think Lee Harvey Oswald was a terrorist?

How about James Earl Ray?

Or John Wilkes Booth?

Were they all terrorists?

Or were they just political assassins instead?

Rick O'Shez

Irishman bouncing off walls
Really, he was angry to see them kissing while he was enjoying himself the same club for 3 years.

I haven't seen anything to support 3 years, we can only speculate. But the fact remains he swore allegiance to ISIS on several occasions.

But in any case, what's your view on gays as a Muslim? Will you condemn discrimination against gays? Will you condemn homophobia?
Will you condemn this kind of thing: http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/8473.htm

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I haven't seen anything to support 3 years, we can only speculate. But the fact remains he swore allegiance to ISIS on several occasions.

But in any case, what's your view on gays as a Muslim? Will you condemn discrimination against gays? Will you condemn homophobia?
Will you condemn this kind of thing: http://www.memri.org/report/en/0/0/0/0/0/0/8473.htm

I said and i repeat, if you have an evidence from the quran that homosexuals should be punished by death
then bring it here, don't tell me the holy book of the ISIS said so, our holy book is the quran.

Last edited:

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
His father said he was angry about seeing gay men kissing each other. That sounds like hatred of gays rather than jealousy, and I would guess related to the homophobia which is endemic in Islam.
It's possible that he was confused about his sexual identity, but that doesn't seem like a good reason for murdering 50 people.

Hmm, makes sense.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Not true because they don't choose who to kill, when the suicide bombers explode themselves in one
market then how they know who's the true and not true Muslim among many innocents include children.

Not even a good try. I may have been born yesterday but it was not at 23:59. Do you honestly think terrorists are going to hang out in areas that are prime targets?

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
Not even a good try. I may have been born yesterday but it was not at 23:59. Do you honestly think terrorists are going to hang out in areas that are prime targets?

You didn't answer my question, how they can know who's walking in the market when they explode themselves?
How they know who's the true Muslim from the not true Muslim?

If they fight for Islam then why they kill Muslims.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
You didn't answer my question, how they can know who's walking in the market when they explode themselves?
How they know who's the true Muslim from the not true Muslim?

If they fight for Islam then why they kill Muslims.

I did answer your question in the 3rd sentence.

They kill Muslims who do not follow their religious or political ideologies.

This is the 2nd time I've answered your question. There won't be a 3rd.

Jumi

Then what they were waiting for, many Christians lived in the Muslim world and still living and Shia with Sunnis,
i wonder that they're still alive till today.
ISIS is 21th century. They've only ruled small areas since a few years ago. Obviously they would be dead or hiding by now if ISIS had ruled before.

Jumi

I wonder if such statements are honest and true for someone in his position.
We can't know for sure about either one. For Mateen it's claimed he called 911 to pledge his allegiance to ISIS, for Mair it's something an eyewitness said he yelled "Britain first".

FearGod

Freedom Of Mind
I did answer your question in the 3rd sentence.

They kill Muslims who do not follow their religious or political ideologies.

This is the 2nd time I've answered your question. There won't be a 3rd.

But you're wrong because they kill Muslims, also killing the unarmed person is a murder regardless
of what the person's belief, otherwise all Christians in the Muslim world should already be killed.

eh, no need to reply, keep it for yourself.

yiostheoy

Not Muslim, hence not terrorist, but a murderer.
Correct !!

Therefore it would seem that if you are Muslim and you murder a bunch of people then you are automatically a terrorist.

And if you are not Muslim and you murder a bunch of people then you are just wacko.