• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is the Catholic Church down on stem cell research?

Dubio

I tuned in to a Catholic radio station and I didn't catch it all but someone said that it was his mission to destroy stem cell research. I don't understand the opposition to stem cell research. Don't they use embryos that will be thrown out anyway? Stem cell research could lead(maybe it has already) to the alleviation of lots of suffering.

If the need to uphold a religious value/moral is more important than alleviating suffering, I have to wonder if it was a religious value/moral in the first place

Shuddhasattva

When has the Church ever been interested in alleviating suffering? Suffering fuels the demand for what they're selling.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
It's because the Catholic Church believes that it is a person at conception. They are not against it just to be mean, but since they believe babies to be alive at conception, they will see it as giving one life for another. Since they truly believe that, I think we need to be fair.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It's because the Catholic Church believes that it is a person at conception. They are not against it just to be mean, but since they believe babies to be alive at conception, they will see it as giving one life for another. Since they truly believe that, I think we need to be fair.
Yes, but as was already pointed out, these are embryos that are doomed anyway. I don't see how being used to cure Alzheimer's or Parkinsons is worse than being thrown in the trash.

Dubio

If the embryo is going to be discarded anyway, what is the harm?

Draka

Wonder Woman
As long as the parent/s are signing off on the usage I don't see how it is any different than any other next of kin allowing for medical testing or usage of a deceased one. So their position that it is/was a live person really makes no difference in that regard.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I tuned in to a Catholic radio station and I didn't catch it all but someone said that it was his mission to destroy stem cell research. I don't understand the opposition to stem cell research. Don't they use embryos that will be thrown out anyway? Stem cell research could lead(maybe it has already) to the alleviation of lots of suffering.

If the need to uphold a religious value/moral is more important than alleviating suffering, I have to wonder if it was a religious value/moral in the first place

When humans lived in tribes the holy man interpreted the signs to tell the people the will of "Great Mystery". Later on, belief's were written down into books and people formed religions with priests who had the power to tell people what God wanted of them. These priests even had the power to sentence others to death and to start wars.

Then men, now called scientists, began figuring out how nature really worked. This took power from the priests because the people stopped looking to the priests to tell them what God wants and instead began to believe the scientists. The highest priest of them all, the pope, had a certain scientist/philosopher burned at the stake (Bruno) and another (Galileo) was sentenced to death but commuted to home imprisonment for life.

Still today the Pope is trying to fight this war against science.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Yes, but as was already pointed out, these are embryos that are doomed anyway. I don't see how being used to cure Alzheimer's or Parkinsons is worse than being thrown in the trash.

I was just telling you why I think the Catholics disapprove of it.

Jordan St. Francis

It's a question of consistency, a point of intersection between the Church's other dogmatic positions on medical ethics and the beginning of human life. Note that the Church also opposes the superfulous creation of embryos through fertilitization technology. For this reason, it encourages adult stem cell research. I'm not here to defend the position, only to clarify it.

Using “embryonic” stem cells is abhorrent to many including the Catholic Church which believes that life should be protected at all levels of existence.

However, the Catholic Church, as demonstrated by the Vatican conference, endorses embryonic stem cell research if these cells could be obtained without destroying human embryos. The Church further enthusiastically supports the use of placental, umbilical cord and adult stem cells.

Catholic Church Declares Support For Adult Stem Cell Research - Forbes

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
It's a question of consistency, a point of intersection between the Church's other dogmatic positions on medical ethics and the beginning of human life. Note that the Church also opposes the superfulous creation of embryos through fertilitization technology. For this reason, it encourages adult stem cell research. I'm not here to defend the position, only to clarify it. http://www.forbes.com/sites/rickung...lares-support-for-adult-stem-cell-research/2/
Duly noted. It still doesn't answer the question of why they oppose research using embryos which will be destroyed either way, though.

It's more akin to opposing dissection of cadavers than abortion.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
I mean, from where do they get the embryos that would otherwise be destroyed?
Oh, sorry. As I recall they're typically extra embryos donated by the parents after being unnecessary for in vitro fertilization.

It's not like they're going out and harvesting them from preganant women who want them.

Jordan St. Francis

Right, so the problem is the way they are being obtained. Since in vitro is already opposed by the Church, permitting the usage of [in their mind] illicitly obtained embryos for scientific purposes can only deepen the error and compound the moral reprehensibility.

Jordan St. Francis

Donum Vitae. I've not read it myself, but the points below seem to be concise:

The Catholic Church teaches that IVF is morally illicit without exception, even when the couple uses their own egg and sperm, and without super-ovulation of the mother or the creation of multiple embryos for implantation. Catholics and non-Catholics alike have struggled to understand this moral teaching and wonder how the Church can condemn a medical procedure aimed at bringing about new human lives.

The answers lies in even deeper reasons for this moral teaching which reach down into the very core of what it means to be husband and wife. The 1987 Instruction Donum Vitae (DV) by the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith contains the Church's most complete articulation to date of those reasons.

(1) First we must begin with marriage, the exclusive and permanent one-flesh union of a man and woman. Marital love, by its very nature, tends toward a two-fold fruition: toward the ever deeper, loving union of the spouses, and the unfolding of that love in the procreation of new human life.

The moral significance of these two dimensions - the procreative and the unitive dimensions of marital love - becomes most clearly manifest in marital sexual intercourse. In this context, it becomes easier to understand why the unitive and procreative dimensions of marital intercourse may never be intentionally separated.

Such was the core teaching of Paul VI's encyclical Humanae Vitae. Human beings cause themselves and others grave harm when they sever the "unbreakable connection" between the unitive and procreative dimensions of marital sexual intercourse.

Consequently, as explained in DV, it is morally wrong for married couples or anyone to attempt to generate human life outside of, or apart from, the act of marital sexual intercourse because to do so severs those dimensions: in IVF, procreation takes place in a Petri dish, apart from the unitive dimension of conjugal act.

(2) A second argument is based on considerations of the dignity of the child conceived by these means. DV argues that bringing a child into existence as a product of a technique is to render that child an object. Children brought into the world through IVF are arguably not generated, but manufactured. While the couple provides the 'materials' (ovum and sperm) for the creation of the child, it is a laboratory technician who brings about a new human life in a laboratory dish. The Church further teaches, that in light of this same human dignity, every human being possess a right to be "conceived and born within marriage and from marriage."

In Vitro Fertilization - Why Not?: A refresher on the Church's teaching - By Father Thomas Berg

Jordan St. Francis

I looked further in Donum Viate, and found here:

If the technical means facilitates the conjugal act or helps it to reach its natural objectives, it can be morally acceptable. If, on the other hand, the procedure were to replace the conjugal act, it is morally illicit. Artificial insemination as a substitute for the conjugal act is prohibited by reason of the voluntarily achieved dissociation of the two meanings of the conjugal act. Masturbation, through which the sperm is normally obtained, is another sign of this dissociation: even when it is done for the purpose of procreation, the act remains deprived of its unitive meaning: "It lacks the sexual relationship called for by the moral order, namely the relationship which realizes 'the full sense of mutual self-giving and human procreation in the context of true love' "