• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Is It Ok To Be Fat But Not Gay??

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
It's quite obvious when you see an obese person that they have a love affair or greedy nature with food.

Sorry, Buttercup, I still have to disagree. :)

The greed of gluttony comes from an overindulgence in the pleasure of food. Some overweight people overeat not for pleasure, but as a release from pain. I've been depressed and have faced both the not-being-able-to-eat symptoms, and the only-wanting-to-eat ones. It's not about overindulging in pleasure, in my opinion, it's more about trying to get some pleasure.

At any rate, I do agree with you that there appears to be an obesity problem in the US, and despite the obvious dangers in being obese, morally righteous people seem to prefer focusing on the "dangers" of homosexuality.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
Oops, I forgot that I have a joke as my "religion" in my user info, so you would not realize that I'm not a Christian. Still, some aspects of Christianity have historically seen certain sins as particularly dangerous. Catholocism recognizes the difference between venial and mortal sins, for example.

That's what I make of gluttony as well, though I would that situation remains today.

edit: Thanks to Random for catching a very silly typo. :D
I didn't assume you were Christian, I was just asking a hypothetical question.
Being fat != being a glutton, which is why fat people are more accepted by society

Booko

Deviled Hen
It's quite obvious when you see an obese person that they have a love affair or greedy nature with food. Very, very few overweight people can blame it on metabolism. Go look at tapes of people from the 1960's....before fast food hit the nation like it has today and you won't see nearly the amount of heavy folks. It is simply fact that Americans have gotten much fatter and it aint from global warming. :D And as I've said several times, I'm not trying to be inflammatory, please believe me.

This is a better subject for Health & Healing, but I would be happy to take it up there with you.

It just bugs the hell outta me that we live in the most evangelical Christian nation on earth......and the fattest. But, you don't hear preachers shouting from the pulpit how gluttonous people land in hell do you?

More than a few would be in no position to say anything about it, I expect.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
All sins are equal is one of the tenets shared by all factions of Christianity? Lying to somebody is hardly equal to shooting them. (This is not meant as an analogy to the debate)
I said God sees all sin as equal. Ask any Christian...or read the bible. God does not discriminate against any particular sin. That's why murderers as well as liars are able to make it into heaven through the atoning work of Christ.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Sorry, Buttercup, I still have to disagree. :)

The greed of gluttony comes from an overindulgence in the pleasure of food. Some overweight people overeat not for pleasure, but as a release from pain. I've been depressed and have faced both the not-being-able-to-eat symptoms, and the only-wanting-to-eat ones. It's not about overindulging in pleasure, in my opinion, it's more about trying to get some pleasure.

At any rate, I do agree with you that there appears to be an obesity problem in the US, and despite the obvious dangers in being obese, morally righteous people seem to prefer focusing on the "dangers" of homosexuality.
I think you're missing the point. Overeating is still overindulgence no matter what the cause. It's overindulgence in anything that's against God's ways. Participating in anything to an excessive degree is against God's will. I'll come back later and share verses as Quagmire asked for them. Excessive drinking would fall under the same category.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There are more than one kind of sin, at least the way I see it: 1. you do something to hurt God 2. You do something to hurt another person 3. You do something to hurt yourself.
1. The first is easy.
2. This includes murder, molestation, rape, adultery, and so on
3. This includes gluttony, alcoholism, drug abuse.
For those of the third, hurting yourself, there is usually an underlying cause. People overeat, do drugs, drink too much because they may be unhappy or in pain. I like to believe that I have compassion for these. The problem is that you can't hurt yourself without hurting others.

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
I think you're missing the point.

I do that sometimes. :)

Overeating is still overindulgence no matter what the cause. It's overindulgence in anything that's against God's ways. Participating in anything to an excessive degree is against God's will. I'll come back later and share verses as Quagmire asked for them. Excessive drinking would fall under the same category.

Yeah, I think we're seeing the "sin" in different ways. But that's cool. Either way, it seems to me that even if one assumes that there is sin in being fat or gay, there should be no persecution, only an attempt at forgiveness.

Hope

Princesinha
I've fortunately never heard someone preach in a church that being fat or being gay was a one-way ticket to hell. I'm sorry so many seem to have had this experience. :(

"For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God...."

shadow_fire

This statement is very disturbing. The struggle with homosexuality is with the people who think like this.

I find it disturbing too. My heart goes out to all the poor religious gays that are denying themselves because of there religion.

The only "struggle" I've ever had with my homosexuality is a few personal demons due to growing up in a Catholic school (but I'm past that now) Only current struggle is homophobes that insist on making my life harder.

Hope

Princesinha
we have not had any preach that don't speak in tongues either

I know this is way off topic, but I can't help but ask.....do you therefore believe a Christian who doesn't speak in tongues isn't worthy to preach somehow, or maybe not even a Christian?? Just curious.

(I can start another thread if you'd like to discuss this further....)

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Here are some bible verses that deal directly with gluttony....However, for the sake of this thread continuing on topic, I would prefer for us to discuss the details of these verses in another thread. Thanks! :)

Proverbs 23:2-3 And put a knife to thy throat, if thou be a man given to appetite. Be not desirous of his dainties: for they are deceitful meat.

Matthew 11:19 The Son of man came eating and drinking, and they say, Behold a man gluttonous, and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners. But wisdom is justified of her children.

Deuteronomy 21:20-21 (King James Version)

20 And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard.

21 And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die: so shalt thou put evil away from among you; and all Israel shall hear, and fear.

Proverbs 23:20-21 (King James Version)

20 Be not among winebibbers; among riotous eaters of flesh:

21 For the drunkard and the glutton shall come to poverty: and drowsiness shall clothe a man with rags.

Philippians 3:18-19 (King James Version)

18 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are the enemies of the cross of Christ:

19 Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)

1 Peter 4:2-3

2 That he no longer should live the rest of his time in the flesh to the lusts of men, but to the will of God.

3 For the time past of our life may suffice us to have wrought the will of the Gentiles, when we walked in lasciviousness, lusts, excess of wine, revellings, banquetings, and abominable idolatries:

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Yeah, I think we're seeing the "sin" in different ways. But that's cool. Either way, it seems to me that even if one assumes that there is sin in being fat or gay, there should be no persecution, only an attempt at forgiveness.
I agree completely....especially the no persecution part.

Which brings me to the next part of this argument I'd like to discuss.

In the days the books of the bible were written science had obviously not yet advanced to the point of knowing that obesity can be genetically passed down. As is true today, there had to have been people in biblical days who might have been accused of gluttony yet were predisposed to obesity because of genetics, it wasn't their fault.

Because we now know that obesity can be inherited, perhaps society has cut some slack to the culpability of the obese person. They are born that way.

If science discovers that homosexuality is genetically determined, would this change how Christians view gays? Is it not their fault because they are born that way?

Edit: I think I'll start a new thread....even though it's probably been discussed before.

rocka21

Brother Rock
I know this is way off topic, but I can't help but ask.....do you therefore believe a Christian who doesn't speak in tongues isn't worthy to preach somehow, or maybe not even a Christian?? Just curious.

(I can start another thread if you'd like to discuss this further....)

no, not at all......

i was just pointing out that different churches have different people come and speak.

Just like , I don't think any Mormon or catholic, church will invite me to preach anytime soon....

not because they don't think i am a christian, just that our doctrine is different.

if you look at my church website, you will see a list of upcoming preachers, you will see that they all are in the same type vein........

ie... John Hagee, paula white, perry stone, etc.....

wizanda

One Accepts All Religious Texts
Premium Member
I said God sees all sin as equal. Ask any Christian...or read the bible. God does not discriminate against any particular sin. That's why murderers as well as liars are able to make it into heaven through the atoning work of Christ.
Excuse me, as someone who has seen heaven (Oneness) first hand, that is very wrong...only farmers (nurturing unconditional love) and shepherds (spreading Wisdom) who 'work' as Christ said are there....

Rev 21:26-27
(26) And they shall bring the glory and honour of the nations into it.
(27) And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defiles, neither whatsoever worked abomination, or makes a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb's book of life.

Luk 16:5-9
(5) So he called every one of his lord's debtors unto him, and said unto the first, How much owest thou unto my lord?
(6) And he said, An hundred measures of oil. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and sit down quickly, and write fifty.
(7) Then said he to another, And how much owest thou? And he said, An hundred measures of wheat. And he said unto him, Take thy bill, and write fourscore.
(8) And the lord commended the unjust steward, because he had done wisely: for the children of this world are in their generation Sneakier (wiser) than the children of light.
(9) And I say unto you, Make to yourselves friends of the mammon of unrighteousness; that, when ye fail, they may receive you into everlasting habitations.
= Reincarnation

Isa 53:12
(12) Therefore will I divide him a portion with the great, and he shall divide the spoil with the strong; because he hath poured out his soul unto death: and he was numbered with the transgressors; and he bare the sin of many, and made intercession for the transgressors.

Intercessors = pass on the message to the judge, not remove it.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Obviously if you weigh 350 pounds and you're a 5'9" man....you overindulge. Gluttony is definitely described as sin in the bible. Check my other thread, "Why Is It OK to be Fat but Not Gay?" for scripture verses condeming overeating.
Overeating is a sin.
Being fat isn't.
Just because being fat is a symptom of overeating does not mean that the ONLY way to become fat is by overeating.

Unless of course you have a verse that says that being fat, regardless of the reason, is a sin. If you do, please present it, because I am not awares of any such verse.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Overeating is a sin.
Being fat isn't.
Just because being fat is a symptom of overeating does not mean that the ONLY way to become fat is by overeating.

Unless of course you have a verse that says that being fat, regardless of the reason, is a sin. If you do, please present it, because I am not awares of any such verse.
Did you read the verses above?

Do you know about the statistics concerning America and the obese and the alarming rate of increases in the last 30 years? A man standing 5'9" and 350 pounds would probably be considered morbidly obese. It's highly doubtful his problem is genetic statistically.

I've agreed previously in this thread that not all overweight people are that way because of eating too much. But, most are.

Could we get back to the topic at hand now? :D

Hope

Princesinha
no, not at all......

i was just pointing out that different churches have different people come and speak.

Just like , I don't think any Mormon or catholic, church will invite me to preach anytime soon....

not because they don't think i am a christian, just that our doctrine is different.

if you look at my church website, you will see a list of upcoming preachers, you will see that they all are in the same type vein........

ie... John Hagee, paula white, perry stone, etc.....

Ok. Thanks for explaining. It just seemed that's what you were implying.