• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is Hinduism Hardly discussed in this forum?

Surya Deva

Maybe because Hinduism is so closely related to Indian ethnicity? Even non-practicing Indian Hindus might self-identify in a survey as Hindu because that's what they grew up with. I don't know, it's just a guess.

Yep, that is my guess as well. I know tons of Indian Hindu youths who are not practicing the religion and many of whom are embarrassed by the religion, still identify ethnically as Hindu. If you are born Hindu, because Hindu is tied so strongly with ethnicity, you remain Hindu.

Surya Deva

Idol worship is one of those practices that many modern Hindu thinkers and reformers have trained in vain to stamp out of Hinduism, including religious leaders like Buddha and Guru Nanak, who tired of the rampant superstition, ritualism and idol worship in Hinduism, simply decided to start their own religions. Hindus have historically faced so much slack for these practices, but they still practice this primitive practice. Even when they are not supported by the Vedas. The Upanishads were strongly against ritual idol worship of god/s, they reformed against them calling them unnecessary, even condemning to the point of saying that one who does them sails in an unstable ship and passes from death to death.

The Upanishads teach that we do not need to go to any extravagances, make idols or temples to worship in. We simply need to meditate and contemplate on the ultimate reality and being. The Vedas in general teach that we must know the ultimate reality, we must perform good deeds and we must purify our mind and intellect.

I mean can't the 20 or so Hindus here at least agree to accept what is actually considered one of the cardinal doctrines of Hinduism to accept the Vedas as their authority? Their actual canon of scripture. I mean seriously if one does consider the Vedas as their supreme authority, then they really cannot really claim to be Hindu. Accepting the Vedas as revelation by our Risis is actually one of the accepted definitions in Hinduism. The Vedas are the scripture of Hinduism and anything which goes against our scripture is not Hinduism.

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear sureya deva ,

prehaps you should concider that the 20 or so hindus here are not agreeing with you , because you constantly assert that other traditions outside of your own are invalid ,which can be seen to be impolite and somewhat narrow minded .

Idol worship is one of those practices that many modern Hindu thinkers and reformers have trained in vain to stamp out of Hinduism, including religious leaders like Buddha and Guru Nanak, who tired of the rampant superstition, ritualism and idol worship in Hinduism, simply decided to start their own religions.

you also continue to use the term idol worship, which is an incorect understanding of hindu worship . and to say that the buddha's intention was to stamp out hinduism is quite incorrect the buddha simply taught a personal path to liberation that the brahminical culture of the day were not freely providing. buddha simply responded to the needs of the day identifying birth, old age, sickness, and death to be the causes of human suffering he devoted his life to the atainment of liberation , once he had atained liberation he taught upon his realisations and provided a structured path so that others might follow .
simmilarly there are reasons of sircumstance behind the teachings of gru nanak, india was suffering a period of unrest due to the muslim invasion. my understanding of guru nanaks reform was not that of defeating hinduism but of uniting the muslim and hindu through the reflection upon god it is said that he received a vision in which god comanded him to teach others simply to rejoice in the name of god . allthough a sikh would be able to tell you this better than me .
simmilarly sri chaitanya mahaprabhu appeared in bengal simmilarly preaching love of god through the chanting of the holy name and thus formed the nama sankirtan movement, this he did not as a reaction against hinduism but as a reaction against muslim oppression of hindu worship .

as you will see hinduism has gone through many periods of change, much of which due to external circumstances so one could say that these so called reformers were reacting to the circumstances of the day, and also it would be fair to say that due to the size of india these changes or reforms were regional , thus we see different traditions forming in different areas. it is for this reason that there should be tollerance between the different schools of hindu thought and that all hindus should as most hindus do, accept oneanothers traditions as equaly valid .

The Upanishads teach that we do not need to go to any extravagances, make idols or temples to worship in. We simply need to meditate and contemplate on the ultimate reality and being. The Vedas in general teach that we must know the ultimate reality, we must perform good deeds and we must purify our mind and intellect.
whilst I aggree that we do not "need to go to any extravegances" in order to worship the supreme as one may worship in the heart, it does not mean to say that other forms of worship are invalid. far from it as worship of the lord in any of his forms is fitting and ultimately leeds to realisation of god thus giving a method by which all may come to the lord in their own way, this I find to be the true beauty of the hindu faith and the more anyone rails against it the more I see the depth of beauty reveal it self , we are truely blessed and within this veiw of sanatana dharma I expand that to include all dharmic schools of thought including sikhism and buddhism not to mention other schools that you would probably exclude .

I mean can't the 20 or so Hindus here at least agree to accept what is actually considered one of the cardinal doctrines of Hinduism to accept the Vedas as their authority? Their actual canon of scripture. I mean seriously if one does consider the Vedas as their supreme authority, then they really cannot really claim to be Hindu. Accepting the Vedas as revelation by our Risis is actually one of the accepted definitions in Hinduism. The Vedas are the scripture of Hinduism and anything which goes against our scripture is not Hinduism.
who is denying the authority of the vedas ?

the problems lay in the inturpretation each gives to them .and in the end what more is there to say but .....Bhaja Govindam , Bhaja Govindam

O deluded minded friend, chant Govinda, worship Govinda, love Govinda as there is no other way to cross the life's ocean except by lovingly remembering the holy names of God.

I dont care by which name one knows the lord , simply chant that name with love and I will concider you hindu .

shivadas

ive been offline for two days, and all i keep seeing on this thread are haters... at least the bible thumpers actually trying.
people who are always hating on others are giving into Ego...

let some love in or drown in your hatred.... cause honestly people like loving people, but most people are hoping that the haters drown..

im out.... the responses from the last few pages from supposedly "spiritual" people are horrendous.

Pleroma

philalethist
"Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good. "

- Lao Tzu

The truth is bitter and we need to speak the truth and I really don't care if that truth tastes bitter for others.

Surya Deva

"Truthful words are not beautiful; beautiful words are not truthful. Good words are not persuasive; persuasive words are not good. "

- Lao Tzu

The truth is bitter and we need to speak the truth and I really don't care if that truth tastes bitter for others.

I agree. This is why I do not sugar coat my truths. I say what I think and feel.

Pleroma

philalethist
I agree. This is why I do not sugar coat my truths. I say what I think and feel.

All this live and let live business is enough, this is the 21st century world and Science has proven that the Advaita philosophical doctrine is correct, we don't have to be fundamentalist but in this age of reason there is no excuse for still believing in those literal stories of orthodox religions.

Surya Deva

dear sureya deva ,

prehaps you should concider that the 20 or so hindus here are not agreeing with you , because you constantly assert that other traditions outside of your own are invalid ,which can be seen to be impolite and somewhat narrow minded .
The problem is these other people are Hindu, I am Hindu too and we are all saying opposing things about what our religion teaches. This is a problem, not a virtue. It creates division and confusion. Hence my attempt to unite Hinduism with the Shruti, and what I say Shuti I am course referring to the Uttra Mimassa of the Upanishads, because Samhitas, Brahmanas and Aranyakas are Purva Mimssa. I am not dismissing our early Vedic ancestors as savage people, rather I am admiring their great maturity and capacity to develop and produce such a beautiful philosophy like Vedanta.

The trouble is in some way or or another Hinduism today is still based on Purva Mimassa and ignore the new testimant of Vedanta. Christians, on the other hand, are far more united that the NT is the actual teachings of Christianity and the OT is the old teaching no longer relevant to humanity.
Vedanta does not support ritual worship, all the rituals of the early Vedic people, such as Ashwamedha have been reinterpreted in Vedanta as symbolic for inner spiritual processes. All the Devas in Vedanta have been reinterpreted as symbolic psychological entities, for example Indra becomes the lord of the senses(indriyas) Agni becomes the cosmic fire within, to which we make our offerings of meditation, breath and morality. The inner-sacrifice.

The Vedanta are very unanimous in how one practices Vedanta(Hinduism) Meditation(atmajnana or brahmaknana), contemplation on reality(tattvajnana), charity, compassion, good deeds(yamas and niyamas) or in other words Yoga. The teachings of Vedanta are then systematized by the darsanas to explain them clearly and rationally: Advaita explains the theory of Vedanta; Yoga explains the practice of Vedanta; Nyaya-Vaiseshika explain the epistemology and logic of Vedanta.

Simply put, Hinduism is basically a religion of pure philosophy and as our philosophy is based actually on rational epistemology like science, Hinduism is actually a religion of science(Vidya) Thus Hindus should not oppose science, and by doing so Hindus put them selves in bad stead with the scientists, who whether like it or not, are the actual custodians and gate keepers of modern knowledge. Science is never going to go away. If anybody wants to be taken seriously in the modern world they must be consistent with science. Religion realizes that too which is why religious people have attempted to reinterpret their scriptures to show that the scriptures are consistent with science.

As Hinduism is epistemologically consistent with modern science, Hindus should not like their Abrahamic peers insist that Hinduism is faith and is separate from science. The science vs religion divide is Abrahamic and comes from the philosopher Rene Descartes, it is not Hindu. Hindus consider both paravidya and aparavidya as vidya - science.

you also continue to use the term idol worship, which is an incorect understanding of hindu worship/

This matter has been settled in the thread "Idol worship vs Deity worship" in the general Abrahmic forum. Hindu murti-pooja is considered idol worship.

and to say that the buddha's intention was to stamp out hinduism is quite incorrect...

I did not say Buddha stamped out Hinduism, I said "idol worship"

simmilarly there are reasons of sircumstance behind the teachings of gru nanak, india was suffering a period of unrest due to the muslim invasion. my understanding of guru nanaks reform was not that of defeating hinduism but of uniting the muslim and hindu through the reflection upon god it is said that he received a vision in which god comanded him to teach others simply to rejoice in the name of god . allthough a sikh would be able to tell you this better than me .

I am born Sikh and I am very familiar with its position. It's position is exemplified in the famous Sikh Moola Mantra(There is only one Omkar, Its true name is Truth; It is the creator; It is without fear; it is without hate; it is timeless and formless; it is beyond birth and death; it is self-existent, it is realized by true gurus grace; meditate on its name, it was true in the beginning, it was true throughout the ages, it is true now, Nanak says it will always be true.)

This is no different to what Vedanta teaches. You will find Sikhism teaches exactly the same teachings as Vedanta. It is based on listening to the true wisdom which Sikhs do by listening to the Gurbani, it is based on meditating on the true name(Sat naam, sri wahaguru) It is based on thinking on that one reality. Hence Guru Nanak was attempting to reform Hinduism by returning it its pure Vedanta form. Guru Nanak was highly critical of idol worship, superstitious practices like giving water to the ancestors, and of the caste system and Puranic gods.

Unfortunately, Sikhism too today has become a corrupted religion and no longer follows the path laid out by Guru Nanak. Sikhism has become exactly what it reformed against.

simmilarly sri chaitanya mahaprabhu appeared in bengal simmilarly preaching love of god through the chanting of the holy name and thus formed the nama sankirtan movement, this he did not as a reaction against hinduism but as a reaction against muslim oppression of hindu worship .

The Bhakti movement was based on both really. Many of the bhakt proponents reformed against what they saw as bad practices in Hinduism like animal sacrifices, caste system, unequal rights between men and women. Guru Nanak is notesworthy and ended up starting a whole new different religion because he instituted the greatest social revolution by getting rid of the caste system, treating men and women as equal and getting rid of all forms of idol worship.

as you will see hinduism has gone through many periods of change, much of which due to external circumstances so one could say that these so called reformers were reacting to the circumstances of the day, and also it would be fair to say that due to the size of india these changes or reforms were regional , thus we see different traditions forming in different areas. it is for this reason that there should be tollerance between the different schools of hindu thought and that all hindus should as most hindus do, accept oneanothers traditions as equaly valid .

I cannot accept caste system, idol worship, unequal rights between men and women, superstition and Smriti as Hinduism. These are all bad practices and they need to be reformed against. We must get rid of these, we should not tolerate them even in the slightest. We should make no concession to them.

Surya Deva

whilst I aggree that we do not "need to go to any extravegances" in order to worship the supreme as one may worship in the heart, it does not mean to say that other forms of worship are invalid. far from it as worship of the lord in any of his forms is fitting and ultimately leeds to realisation of god thus giving a method by which all may come to the lord in their own way, this I find to be the true beauty of the hindu faith and the more anyone rails against it the more I see the depth of beauty reveal it self , we are truely blessed and within this veiw of sanatana dharma I expand that to include all dharmic schools of thought including sikhism and buddhism not to mention other schools that you would probably exclude .

India, the country of Hinduism is not blessed and the last 1500 years of its history is hard proof of this. India is a country which has been condemned by history because it has not successfully reformed itself. Almost all attempts at reformation have ended up starting new religions. Why did Guru Nanak say "There is no Hindu and there is no Muslim"? Or why he say "not can Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva measure the great supreme being" because he realized how horribly fragmented India was, and he wanted them all to unite as Sikhs(learners or seekers of truth) and accept only Sat-Naam as the only form of worship through contemplation and meditation on truth.

Temples and idols cannot save themselves. So many resources(money, time, energy, space) is wasted on building them, and in twinkling of an eye they can be razed to dust(Like the Muslims and Portuguese have shown) Hindus created bad karma for themselves through idol worship, and this is why their idols and temples were so brutally destroyed and millions of Hindus put to death. Hindus need to understand why do the Abrahamic people oppose idol worship so vehemently, why do they prefer a quiet prayer to it? The reasons are

1) It is fallacious: If God is formless, infinite and absolute, why make a form of God and insult that truth?
2) It distracts from the true God: The worshiper of an idol, whether they literally worship the idol or used the idol as a symbol, ends up getting attached to the idol and develop fanatical and superstition minds
3) It leads to fragmentation, as everybody ends up choosing their own form of god they want to worship and what ensues is sectarianism, worshiping animals, planets, nature and people.

In fact the irony is even the Puranas and the Agamas themselves say it is an inferior form of worship. Why do we waste so much of our resources on an inferior form of worship? When instead we can build centers for Vedic study where we can study the Shruti and the Daranas. And simple meditation centers for people to mediate.

Imagine if every Hindu from childhood was brought up with this kind of Hinduism instead. Every Hindu would be an erudite scholar, yogi, logician and Hindu civilization would be brilliant and prosperous. Instead, because Hindus practice an inferior Puranic Hinduism, they are widely considered some of the most superstitious and backwards people on the planet.

Hindu themselves have signed their own death warrant by choosing Puranic Hinduism over Vedic Hinduism. Since then, the law of karma has been punishing them(Abrahamics would say God is punishing them) and they are still being punished today because they have not reformed. I am afraid my prediction that India will soon be invaded by China is going to come true. Hindus are doomed and they only have themselves to blame.

who is denying the authority of the vedas ?

90% of Hindus, by accepting Puranas and agamas over Vedas. There is no Vaishnavism, Shivaism and Shaktism in the Vedas. This is caused by the Puranas. Puranic Hinduism has hijacked Vedic Hinduism and masquerades around as Hinduism.

I dont care by which name one knows the lord , simply chant that name with love and I will concider you hindu .

Shankara here, much like the Bhakta saints like Guru Nanak, does not mean literally God Vishnu, he means the supreme one Brahman. There is a place for devotion to Brahman by relating to Brahman as father, mother, son, teacher, lover, but there is no place for idol worship. I myself refer to Brahman by saying "Baba" but with the understanding that Brahman is not god, but the most beloved Self.

If there is any hope of saving Hinduism - which I personally think there is not not, because it is too late, Indian military themselves predict a war with China anytime by 2017(but not after, because then China could lose a war with India, as Indian military power would have quintupled) and that will be the end of India and the end of Hinduism - Puranic Hinduism and idol worship must go. Hinduism must unite as Vedic Hinduism and then Vedic Hindusim must unite India and the rest of the world to create Vasudeva kutumbukum.

However, it is not India, but the West today which leads the world in what is actually Vedic Hinduism(The west can careless for Puranic Hinduism) but what they call modern science and spirituality. The trouble is modern science and spirituality needs more insights from Hinduism. They don't understand themselves the paradox they have landed up in today with quantum theory and they have fragmented into postmodern madness(kind of like Hinduism) and nihilism. Vedic Hinduism can help modern science out of this quandary and to do this we needs Hindus to actually get involved - dialogue with science like Swami Vivekananda and Krishnamurthi did. Show science the way forward with Vedic wisdom.

Last edited:

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Hindu murti-pooja is considered idol worship.

Not according to this:

Bhagavad Gita 12.5

Therefore, the bhakti-yogi accepts the Deity of Krishna as worshipable because there is some bodily conception fixed in the mind, which can thus be applied. Of course, worship of the Supreme Personality of Godhead in His form within the temple is not idol worship. There is evidence in the Vedic literature that worship may be saguna and nirguna—of the Supreme possessing or not possessing attributes. Worship of the Deity in the temple is saguna worship, for the Lord is represented by material qualities. But the form of the Lord, though represented by material qualities such as stone, wood or oil paint, is not actually material. That is the absolute nature of the Supreme Lord.

You can shuck-and-jive this all you want with your appeal to what Hinduism is and is not, and what you know of the Vedas. Say what you will about Srila Prabhupada, I'll still take his learning over that of an anonymous poster on the internet who claims to know scripture. Having to wade through this muck of these posts is tiresome. Enough is enough, and I for one think it's time for a mod to step in and put a stop to this. It's fouling this forum.

Pleroma

philalethist
Enough is enough, and I for one think it's time for a mod to step in and put a stop to this. It's fouling this forum.

Yes, I agree. All this business of You're not an Hindu, I am a true Hindu is getting tiresome, if you have your views then one should open a thread and give your opinions and then close it but what is happening here is one man is hijacking all threads on Hinduism and going on pushing his misunderstood Advaita doctrine on others. This member has a strawman of his own doctrine then how can he unify Hinduism?

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
I have only my opinion, but I think we should just stop responding. The conversations are going around in circles. I think we're just as guilty of feeding the fires. Starve the fire of oxygen and it will die.

Pleroma

philalethist
No, he will come here again to divide us and calling us Indian Hindus and his man made global religion. A big joke.

Surya Deva

You can shuck-and-jive this all you want with your appeal to what Hinduism is and is not, and what you know of the Vedas. Say what you will about Srila Prabhupada, I'll still take his learning over that of an anonymous poster on the internet who claims to know scripture. Having to wade through this muck of these posts is tiresome. Enough is enough, and I for one think it's time for a mod to step in and put a stop to this. It's fouling this forum.

Appeal to authority fallacy. And you are appealing to the authority of somebody who says the Earth is a flat disk, resting on a tortoise, held up by 4 large elephants and the sun goes around the Earth in an invisible chariot, and the entire planetary system is pivoted to the pole star like a chandelier :facepalm: Not to mention he supported the institution of caste system and called women inferior and should be kept in line by men.

Mods to Step in to what? We are debating issues within Hinduism, raised by many Hindu thinkers and intellectuals. If there is anything that Mod might need to step in for is your blatant personal attack:

I'll still take his learning over that of an anonymous poster on the internet who claims to know scripture. Having to wade through this muck of these posts is tiresome

One of the posters on this forum a Christian, has remarked that he has found the Hindus hostile on this board, and given comments like this, addressed to another Hindu, one can understand why they would think that. It would explain the topic title - "why is Hinduism hardly discussed on this board"

Last edited:

ratikala

Istha gosthi
dear sureya deva ,

India, the country of Hinduism is not blessed and the last 1500 years of its history is hard proof of this. India is a country which has been condemned by history because it has not successfully reformed itself. Almost all attempts at reformation have ended up starting new religions.

were another people more blessed with wisdom than the hindu nation you would not be advaitin I would not be vaisnava , yes they have suffered the invasion from outside many times within the last 1500 years but by some grace they have retained and reformed their vedic heritage again and again , can this be said of many other countrys ? most other domiinated countrys have lost their original beleif systems all together , the enduring nature of vedic wisdom is remarkable , please addmit it , if it were not a blessing we would not have been attracted to it ?

you are the one advocating reform , I have tried to point out that this would merely serve to fragment things further , as you have just deliniated .

Why did Guru Nanak say "There is no Hindu and there is no Muslim"? Or why he say "not can Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva measure the great supreme being" because he realized how horribly fragmented India was, and he wanted them all to unite as Sikhs(learners or seekers of truth) and accept only Sat-Naam as the only form of worship through contemplation and meditation on truth.
this is your supposition only ......"not can Brahma, Vishnu or Shiva measure the great supreme being".......being caught between the hindus and the muslims I am told his aim was to unite both in love of god .
Temples and idols cannot save themselves. So many resources(money, time, energy, space) is wasted on building them, and in twinkling of an eye they can be razed to dust(Like the Muslims and Portuguese have shown)
from the buddhist perspective I have one word to say imperminance ! nothing material lasts for ever but should that mean we should not build a temple a hospital a school ? each serves mankind and each end eventualy in dust .

Hindus created bad karma for themselves through idol worship, and this is why their idols and temples were so brutally destroyed and millions of Hindus put to death. Hindus need to understand why do the Abrahamic people oppose idol worship so vehemently, why do they prefer a quiet prayer to it? The reasons are

1) It is fallacious: If God is formless, infinite and absolute, why make a form of God and insult that truth?
2) It distracts from the true God: The worshiper of an idol, whether they literally worship the idol or used the idol as a symbol, ends up getting attached to the idol and develop fanatical and superstition minds
3) It leads to fragmentation, as everybody ends up choosing their own form of god they want to worship and what ensues is sectarianism, worshiping animals, planets, nature and people.
why then do so many catholics have personal shrines to the virgin mary on their homes , at road sides , in villages and many public places ? to which they also make offerings ?

In fact the irony is even the Puranas and the Agamas themselves say it is an inferior form of worship. Why do we waste so much of our resources on an inferior form of worship? When instead we can build centers for Vedic study where we can study the Shruti and the Daranas. And simple meditation centers for people to mediate.
why ? because there are many mentalitys of person some are suited to jnana yoga some to bhakti some to contemplative life the gita confirms this .

Imagine if every Hindu from childhood was brought up with this kind of Hinduism instead. Every Hindu would be an erudite scholar, yogi, logician and Hindu civilization would be brilliant and prosperous. Instead, because Hindus practice an inferior Puranic Hinduism, they are widely considered some of the most superstitious and backwards people on the planet.
prabhu you are being insulting again

Hindu themselves have signed their own death warrant by choosing Puranic Hinduism over Vedic Hinduism. Since then, the law of karma has been punishing them(Abrahamics would say God is punishing them) and they are still being punished today because they have not reformed. I am afraid my prediction that India will soon be invaded by China is going to come true. Hindus are doomed and they only have themselves to blame.
as you said before invasions are nothing new and vedic wisdom will survive .
but if your prediction is true what then of china's bad karma they have killed and suppressed millions of their own not to mention tibet prehaps their dominant nature will be their own undoing before they get as far as india ?

the reactions of karma are more complex than you are able to see or begin to understand .

Shankara here, much like the Bhakta saints like Guru Nanak, does not mean literally God Vishnu, he means the supreme one Brahman. There is a place for devotion to Brahman by relating to Brahman as father, mother, son, teacher, lover, but there is no place for idol worship. I myself refer to Brahman by saying "Baba" but with the understanding that Brahman is not god, but the most beloved Self.
strangely enough you have again side steped my question here ?

If there is any hope of saving Hinduism - which I personally think there is not not, because it is too late, Indian military themselves predict a war with China anytime by 2017(but not after, because then China could lose a war with India, as Indian military power would have quintupled) and that will be the end of India and the end of Hinduism - Puranic Hinduism and idol worship must go. Hinduism must unite as Vedic Hinduism and then Vedic Hindusim must unite India and the rest of the world to create Vasudeva kutumbukum.
hindu ism is too large to be put down even by invasion of india as there are so many hindus world wide , hinduism will survive .
However, it is not India, but the West today which leads the world in what is actually Vedic Hinduism(The west can careless for Puranic Hinduism) but what they call modern science and spirituality. The trouble is modern science and spirituality needs more insights from Hinduism. They don't understand themselves the paradox they have landed up in today with quantum theory and they have fragmented into postmodern madness(kind of like Hinduism) and nihilism. Vedic Hinduism can help modern science out of this quandary and to do this we needs Hindus to actually get involved - dialogue with science like Swami Vivekananda and Krishnamurthi did. Show science the way forward with Vedic wisdom.
I agree from the point of science and spirituality but unfortunately not from the point of advaita only hinduism there are many temples here dedicated to particular divinities and deceminating a particular tradition there is no reason that both should not live along side each other , these temples are also schools of vedic learning .

if you want vedic wisdom to survive what is most important is that we each uphold our traditions and keep firmly to the principles , if we do not , we will not maintain its purity .

Pleroma

philalethist
Pleroma, where are you in India?

"Kannada Brahmins (Devanagiri: कन्नड ब्राह्मण, Kannada: ಕನ್ನಡ ಬ್ರಾಹ್ಮಣ) are Brahmins whose mother-tongue is the Kannada language. Nearly all of them hail from the south Indian state of Karnataka. Kannada Brahmins are known to have preserved the purest form of Vedic Hinduism. It is in this region that the rituals and Vedic Chanting are done with great accuracy."

Kannada Brahmins - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I actually hail from this state but I am not a Brahmin. No one here seem to be interested in Vedas and Upanishads, that's why I come here looking for like minded people.

We are Smarthas and we belong to the Smartha tradition.

Smartha Tradition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I've been to Bangalore, just for a couple of days, as the start/end of a pilgrimage to TN. I'm a bit familiar with it, and have heard of the Adi Chinchinagiri Mutt (I'm sure my spelling is incorrect on that one.) But yes, the Kannada priest who I've met here (Canada, and US) seem to be doing a great job.