• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is furry fandom mostly hated on for stuff other fandoms have?

Axelfox

Maybe it's my bias showing but I kind of associate furries with like, teenagers and young adults.

Like, I don't picture that many business executives or physicians being furries. But maybe I'm wrong. When I found out what a furry was, it made me feel kind of old, even though I'm still in my mid/late twenties. Like it was one of the first things where I thought, "I don't think they had this back in my day."

There are some adults in furry.

Like this guy is a Married Aerospace engineer and a Christian father of 3
http://tychoaussie.deviantart.com/

Just because some people of X fandom do Y.
Doesn't mean all, or even the majority of X do Y.
Seems to be what OP was saying.

Yup,that was what i was trying to say.

Penumbra

Veteran Member
Premium Member
There are some adults in furry.

Like this guy is a Married Aerospace engineer and a Christian father of 3
http://tychoaussie.deviantart.com/
I would rarely doubt that there are some of some type of people in just about everything. There's almost literally an example of at least one of everything, somewhere.

I'm talking mainly about my own views of what I think when I see something about furries. If something were to persuade me otherwise, it would be more along the lines of a statistical argument rather than an example of a single aerospace engineer.

Emi

Proud to be a Pustra!
Maybe it's my bias showing but I kind of associate furries with like, teenagers and young adults.

Like, I don't picture that many business executives or physicians being furries. But maybe I'm wrong. When I found out what a furry was, it made me feel kind of old, even though I'm still in my mid/late twenties. Like it was one of the first things where I thought, "I don't think they had this back in my day."
omg who is on your profile pic?

Flankerl

Sounds like someone has been doing a lot of research.

Sadly it gets posted by various individuals in non-appropriate areas far too often. Its not about researching if you have specific hobbies as it will find you even if you aren't looking for it.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think the furry thing gets a lot of attention for being one of the more unusual yet less discreet fetish based subcultures.

It probably also has a lot to do with the stark contrast of taking cartoon animals, something associated with innocence and childhood, and sexualizing them.

And as with any fetish, there will always be those who respond with the juvenile "ick" factor.

Axelfox

I think the furry thing gets a lot of attention for being one of the more unusual yet less discreet fetish based subcultures.

It probably also has a lot to do with the stark contrast of taking cartoon animals, something associated with innocence and childhood, and sexualizing them.

And as with any fetish, there will always be those who respond with the juvenile "ick" factor.

It seems though in recent news articles,that furries say that people got it all wrong. That it doesn't have anything to do with sex or a fetish and that furries are misunderstood

http://www.startribune.com/call-of-the-wild-local-furries-say-they-are-misunderstood/306002911/#1

Axelfox

It seems to me that most people don't have a bloody clue what a furry even is. It's a very obscure subculture, and unless you participate in certain other not particularly popular subcultures, you're not going to know it is even a thing. I barely even know it is a thing, and I certainly don't associate it with what you mention here.

Yeah, one time a older person i was talking to about furries and they didn't know what i meant. But a kid at Hot Topic i met once knew what furries are. Funny too,considering there was recently media coverage about a gas leak back in dec. last year that happened at a furry con and the media coverage was at every media outlet.

silvermoon383

Was it actually a gas leak? I remember that bit of news and they were talking about a possible gas attack, not some random leak. Though considering it disappeared off the news the next day I'm not that shocked to be out of the loop.

Axelfox

Was it actually a gas leak? I remember that bit of news and they were talking about a possible gas attack, not some random leak. Though considering it disappeared off the news the next day I'm not that shocked to be out of the loop.

Yup. It was a gas attack. I was worried about it,cause i know of some furs who were at the hotel when it happened. Now i'm worried to even go to furry cons. When i went to AC in 2014,there was a threat at the convention which made me very nervous.

There also is a report where a lady laughed at the gas leak,which imho wasn't professional. Many at the con could have died from being gassed.