• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why is contraception a deadly sin?

Scott1

Sunstone said:
I've yet to understand why people want to impose their own views of contraception on others. What's the motive?
Is anyone on this thread doing that.... or did you just want to issue that statement for the benefit of the thread?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
For the benefit of the thread, and because I'm genuinely curious about why anyone would attempt to impose their own views of contraception on others. What do you think might motive such people, Scott?

(Maybe I should add, here, that upon re-reading the OP, I think it comes across as a bit preachy in asserting that God is completely on one side of this issue. But that's just my impression.)

Scott1

Sunstone said:
What do you think might motive such people, Scott?
Ignorance..... or love.... you'd have to ask them, as I'm not one of them.

... but more to the point: I don't think anyone on this site can IMPOSE anything on anyone (other than forum rules), and I'm quite certain that OP gave an opinion on scripture (kinda what the forum is for) and did not IMPOSE anything on anyone.
(Maybe I should add, here, that upon re-reading the OP, I think it comes across as a bit preachy in asserting that God is completely on one side of this issue. But that's just my impression.)
God's gotta be a "middle of the road" guy, eh?

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Well, Scott, I wasn't saying that anyone on this forum was imposing their views of contraception on anyone else. That seems to me to be a given. But there are people in this world who are willing and sometimes able to impose their views of contraception on others. I recall, for instance, that several Latin American nations prohibit some forms of contraception.

To my mind, that raises the question of why anyone would bother to impose their views of contraception on others. Why is it such an issue?

As to your other point, I don't necessarily think God has to be a middle of the road guy, but I am certainly of the opinion that our interpretations of God, and God's will, can be one sided. In fact, if it were not the case that there could be disagreement on nearly any issue dealing with God, of what purpose or use would discussion of those issues be?

Scott1

Sunstone said:
Well, Scott, I wasn't saying that anyone on this forum was imposing their views of contraception on anyone else. That seems to me to be a given.
Oh... ok.
But there are people in this world who are willing and sometimes able to impose their views of contraception on others. I recall, for instance, that several Latin American nations prohibit some forms of contraception.
I'd be happy to discuss this with you as soon as we're together on a thread where it would be ON TOPIC. ;)

Quoth The Raven

Half Arsed Muse
Luke Wolf said:
My nephew was conceived while his mom was on a bc pill. So was a couple of my friends. One of my friends got his girlfriend pregnant, and she was on the pill. So I don't think that bc pills are wrong, they just don't seem to work very well.
It depends...nothing is 100% effective, and being taken orally you need to be aware that certain antibiotics, stomach upsets etc, can effect the absorbtion of the pill. Also if you forget a pill it's a problem, even if you take it later to catch up.
If you have one of these situations you are supposed to use barrier methods for 14 days to avoid pregnancy, and I'd be willing to bet that most people don't, and then blame the pill for not working when they haven't followed the instructions.
I've been on the pill on and off for the last 15 years, and I've never had any adverse effects from it, not have I fallen pregnant while on it. In some respects it can only work as well as the person putting it in their mouth can follow instructions.
More on topic: if the reason for sex is procreation, then people past child bearing age should cease all sexual activity now, should they not? After all, like the people using contraception, they're only doing it for the fun of it.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Defining sex as only for procreation is a bit like defining teeth as only for chewing food. Sure, it makes a certain superficial sense, but when you get down to the nuts and bolts of it, you find that people have been using their teeth to hold things for as long as they've been using their teeth to chew things, and who's to say that using your teeth to hold things is a perverted use of teeth. In the same way, who's to say that having sex for fun is a perversion of sex?

jamaesi

To Save A Lamb
*idly wonders why it's so immoral for her to be on the pill*

I suppose it would be better if all the mensutral fluids just build up in my uterus for months. Going on the pill and getting my body to flush it all out before it gets me very sick is just plain horrible and an attack on God's plan for me to die young. Shame on me, shame on me.

And the pill failing for so many people so much? You have to take that pill every day at the same time.

and child bearing is a saving grace to women through which she may be saved
Looks like I'm not getting saved then. : ) It would be cruel to inflict my bad genes and health problems on an innocent child, not to mention the fact I'm very doubtful if my own body could handle pregnancy, and if I go to hell for it- well, my conscious will be clear.

I love the message that women can't be saved by themselves and their own acts, but have to pop out a kid to be considered valuable.

I'll agree with OF, why do people try and take the fun out of sex? It feels pleasurable for a reason. Humans aren't the only ones who have sex for pleasure- whales, pigs, and apes do. Many animals masturbate, apes again, for one. Masturbating is shown to relieve depression and improve self-esteem- why is it so bad?

Pah

Uber all member
Can anyone tell why God would not give a clitoris to a woman if not to have sex as pleasure? It is redundant and distant to the pleasure occuring when reproduction is the goal.

Any can anyone tell me why there is a time frame in the mensis cycle when conception is not possible and sex is?

I strongly disagree with the argument that sex for reproduction is the only thing God intended.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
pah said:
Can anyone tell why God would not give a clitoris to a woman if not to have sex as pleasure? It is redundant and distant to the pleasure occuring when reproduction is the goal.
i completely feel you on this one pah...why don't i get a clitoris!!

pah said:
I strongly disagree with the argument that sex for reproduction is the only thing God intended.
in judaism it is an obligation for the man to provide sexual pleasure to his wife, it's all about her needs not the man's....very cool i think!

Ceridwen018

It kills embryos by not allowing them to attach...and it wreaks havoc on a woman's body.
I think you are talking about the "morning after" pill. Your statements above are not true for the Birth Control pill.

The BC pill causes the egg to disintegrate before it is released into the uterus for fertilization, ao there is no "killing of embryos". Also, women who would have serious adverse affects to the pill are denied it, because for a woman to get the pill they must undergo an intensive exam.

In my opinion, contraception is basically the same as abstinence. The only difference is that one saves a marriage and the other wrecks it. Can you guess which is which?

Original Freak

I am the ORIGINAL Freak
In my opinion, contraception is basically the same as abstinence. The only difference is that one saves a marriage and the other wrecks it. Can you guess which is which?
I can't agree with this, even to make a point. Abstinence is not having sex, where as contraception is something used for sex to avoid pregnancy and/or STD's. I think there is a very large difference and can't be combined. As for the saving marriage thing it's more complicated than that and off topic but I'll just say having sex won't save a marriage, but I think it's key to a healthy one.

As with most topics that involve religion they try to take a very complicated thing, like most things in life, and make it black and white. It doesn't work that way.

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Ceridwen018 said:
I think you are talking about the "morning after" pill. Your statements above are not true for the Birth Control pill.

The BC pill causes the egg to disintegrate before it is released into the uterus for fertilization, ao there is no "killing of embryos". Also, women who would have serious adverse affects to the pill are denied it, because for a woman to get the pill they must undergo an intensive exam.

That is not true. I have looked it up and one of the ways SOME of the b.c. pills works is by not allowing the fertilized egg to attach - the info you're getting is probably indirectly from the birth control companies themselves.

There are SOME birth control pills which I think do not work that way, I think I remember reading that.

Umm....actually my doctor tried to prescribe me with the pill, in fact he just about insisted upon it, even after I told him that I had a family history of stroke, heart disease, and hypertension.

If you take the pill you can get pregnant (I'm living proof) and it CAN harm the child. I know of at least one child who's mother took the pill for a month before she found out she was pregnant, and he is autistic now among other things. Another of my friends gained 35 lbs. on the pill. Yet another became infertile for an entire year after she stopped taking it. Can I PROVE that these things were directly caused by the pill, no. But it was enough to keep me and one of my best friends from ever trying it out.

jewscout

Religious Zionist
johnnys4life said:
Can I PROVE that these things were directly caused by the pill, no.
then why make this statement...
johnnys4life said:
If you take the pill you can get pregnant (I'm living proof) and it CAN harm the child.
if you can't prove it...