• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why I Am A Baptist Christian

A

angellous_evangellous

Melody said:
What can I say, but...sad. I don't know whether the church I'm going to would do that although I'm absolute certain that they would not allow a gay pastor and they might not allow them to become an official member since the philosophy of the church is that to be a member you have to abide by their philosophy...which in this case is to adhere to the bible (their interpretation obviously).

I had a feeling J4L was baptist but I had you, Nathan, pegged as a Catholic. Oops.
Most people can't tell the difference between a Baptist and the flam'n fundamentalist lunatics like www.landoverbaptist.org

I think that most people see Bigot instead of Baptist:

Southern Bigot Convention instead of Southern Baptist Convention

I have some diplomas from Wayland Baptist University, and I feel like people see "Wayland Bigot University" on my T-shirts because of what Jerry Falwell and Paige Batterson (er... Patterson) has done for Baptist life. :banghead3

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Landover Baptist!!! LOL Angellous that is NOT A REAL CHURCH!!!! That's a parody website set up by someone with a really sick sense of humour! I thought everyone knew that!!!

johnnys4life

Pro-life Mommy
Hmm...well this isn't exactly a Baptist teaching at all but I think anyone who is living in a conscious, willful state of sin should be "politely" kicked out of the church until they straighten up. After all, we are supposed to be a model of what Christianity is. But maybe I am a Catholic, and I just don't know it!

Doodlebug02

I'm a Baptist because I agree with all of their beliefs. The King James Version is superior to modern translations; baptism is to be by immersion only (following Jesus' example); once you are saved, you are always saved; only males are to occupy leadership positions in the church (as the Bible says); evangelism is a supreme directive; outreach is also very important; ecumenism is not always a good thing and more often than not, is a bad thing; God created the universe in 6 days and rested on the 7th; communion is purely symbolic; baptism is purely symbolic; works do not save us; etc etc etc...

Doodlebug02

I believe that Baptists are about as close to the Biblical church as you're gonna get and that's one reason why I'm a Baptist. :)

Holly said:
I'm a Baptist because I agree with all of their beliefs. The King James Version is superior to modern translations; ...

Really? So then you believe in unicorns?

"God brought them out of Egypt, he hath as it were the strength of a unicorn." Numbers 23:22, KJV
"Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in a furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?" Job 39:9-10, KJV

Or satyrs?

"But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there." Isaiah 13:21, KJV

" The wild beasts of the desert shall also meet with the beasts of the island, and the satyr shall cry to his fellow; the screech owl also shall rest there, and find for herself a place of rest." Isaiah 34:14, KJV

FerventGodSeeker

Abram

Abraham
Holly said:
I believe that Baptists are about as close to the Biblical church as you're gonna get and that's one reason why I'm a Baptist. :)
I agree with you here. This site shows this point very strongly. There are many believers that feel the Bible is in error. I feel very strong that the creator of the heavens and earth could deliver a book a 10,000 years and still state what he wants it to. The mere order of the words was placed by the hands of men directed by the Holy Spirit. Thats why it's called the living word. You could read one passage a 100 times and find something new every time. Its a endless book that contains the truth, Jesus. Until I gave up on trying to please the world and died to it I came to learn the real truth of God.
I love most Baptist Pastors because their intensity to the Bible. They teach the Bible and not their view of the world.
These are the views of a Bible thumping Jesus freak and have no problem admitting it...
</IMG>

nutshell

FerventGodSeeker said:
Really? So then you believe in unicorns?

"God brought them out of Egypt, he hath as it were the strength of a unicorn." Numbers 23:22, KJV
"Will the unicorn be willing to serve thee, or abide by thy crib? Canst thou bind the unicorn with his band in a furrow? or will he harrow the valleys after thee?" Job 39:9-10, KJV

Or satyrs?

"But wild beasts of the desert shall lie there; and their houses shall be full of doleful creatures; and owls shall dwell there, and satyrs shall dance there." Isaiah 13:21, KJV

" The wild beasts of the desert shall also meet with the beasts of the island, and the satyr shall cry to his fellow; the screech owl also shall rest there, and find for herself a place of rest." Isaiah 34:14, KJV

FerventGodSeeker

FerventGodSeeker, don't you think those things may represent something else? Why does everything have to be so literal? I once saw a special on PBS about unicorns. You know what they were? One horned mountain goats.

nutshell said:
FerventGodSeeker, don't you think those things may represent something else? Why does everything have to be so literal? I once saw a special on PBS about unicorns. You know what they were? One horned mountain goats.

No, I don't think in those cases they represented something else. Everyone knows what a unicorn is...a horse with a horn on its forehead, often attributed with magical powers...an image that was created in the medieval age...just before King James created his translation. I didn't see that PBS special, so I can't give a thumbs up or thumbs down on it...however, I've never seen a depiction of a unicorn as a one horned goat.

FerventGodSeeker

A

angellous_evangellous

Abram said:
They teach the Bible and not their view of the world.

This statement is false.

It is false because they may be under the delusion that the worldview that they have is rooted in the Bible.

For example, George Barna fancies that the following is a "Biblical worldview"
http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=BarnaUpdate&BarnaUpdateID=194

Belief that God created the world, that the Bible is inerrant, and heaven and hell is the view of the world that many fundie Baptists hold.

Abram

Abraham
angellous_evangellous said:
This statement is false.
Here we go, lets point out a few false teachers that makes the whole bag of popcorn burned. You left out the part where I said most Pastors.

Abram

Abraham
angellous_evangellous said:
This statement is false.

It is false because they may be under the delusion that the worldview that they have is rooted in the Bible.

For example, George Barna fancies that the following is a "Biblical worldview"
http://www.barna.org/FlexPage.aspx?Page=BarnaUpdate&BarnaUpdateID=194

Belief that God created the world, that the Bible is inerrant, and heaven and hell is the view of the world that many fundie Baptists hold.
Because it's true. We don't agree on this, thats fine. Its sad that you let the world decive you. Its hard now days when everyone says "you believe what you want and I'll believe what I want" there is no real truth. I would say there wrong and there is only one truth.
The world was created by God and there is a real heaven and hell.

A

angellous_evangellous

Abram said:
Because it's true. We don't agree on this, thats fine. Its sad that you let the world decive you. Its hard now days when everyone says "you believe what you want and I'll believe what I want" there is no real truth. I would say there wrong and there is only one truth.
The world was created by God and there is a real heaven and hell.

Them's fight'n words. Let's take this outside.:knockout2

http://www.religiousforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=404158#post404158

*Paul*

Jesus loves you
Holly said:
I'm a Baptist because I agree with all of their beliefs. The King James Version is superior to modern translations; baptism is to be by immersion only (following Jesus' example); once you are saved, you are always saved; only males are to occupy leadership positions in the church (as the Bible says); evangelism is a supreme directive; outreach is also very important; ecumenism is not always a good thing and more often than not, is a bad thing; God created the universe in 6 days and rested on the 7th; communion is purely symbolic; baptism is purely symbolic; works do not save us; etc etc etc...
Right on sister! Praise the Lord for you.