• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Faith?

dandbj13

I am writing a book from the perspective of a former Christian. I would greatly appreciate any and all feedback. This is one of the chapters. Depending on the feedback I get, I will post more for your scrutiny. Thank you in advance.

David Johnson

Faith is the reality of what we hope for, the proof of what we don’t see.

It’s impossible to please God without faith because the one who draws near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards people who try to find him. He. 11: 1, 6

Faith is such a big subject, and cannot be covered in one chapter, or even one volume. Whatever the coverage, though, I believe the discussion has to start with Hebrews 11. These passages provide the foundation of religious faith, and put to lie, any notion that religious devotion is based in reality or reason. It seems to me that Christians who try to justify their beliefs with empirical evidence have utterly missed the point of faith.

According the the first passage, faith is the substitute for empirical evidence. It turns hope into reality, and is all the proof one needs for unprovable things. If you need more proof than faith provides, then you do not have faith:

So we always have courage. We know that while we live in this body, we are away from the Lord.*We live by what we believe, not by what we can see. 2 Cor. 5:6-7

Jesus said, “Thomas, do you have faith because you have seen me? The people who have faith in me without seeing me are the ones who are really blessed!” Jn. 20:29

If there is any doubt that faith stands in opposition to scientific reason, then the above passages should put those doubts to bed. In 2 Cor., the phrase, “what we can see” for clarity, could be rendered, “what we can prove”. For the New Testament writers, there is a clear line of demarkation between belief and proof. More than delineation, there is outright antagonism between the two. You cannot straddle the fence. You cannot, like Thomas, claim faith while demanding proof. The only acceptable faith is blind faith. That is to say, faith not aided by evidence, or sight, as it were.

Presuppositional Belief

How do we come to believe anything? Generally, there is a hierarchy of belief that starts with a reasonable, evidentiary foundation. When evidence is lacking, we fall back on personal experience, or a trusted source. When all of that is lacking, we must try to infer the unknown based on the known. Obviously, belief is best planted in the soil of verifiable evidence. Each of these faith foundations are based on reason. You make your assumption based on the best information you have at the time.

The kind of faith promoted by the bible is sans-evidentiary. Reason (logic) is not the basis of biblical faith. God does not provide us with scientists who produce evidence for us to see, but with prophets who tell stories for us to believe. The best we have is stories of proof. The bible is replete with such stories. Without any verification of the veracity of the stories, we are simply to believe them, and thus, model our lives after those beliefs. In other words, we must be predisposed to believe the stories, taking them at face-value, without critical assessment. If we apply textual criticism, evidence, and reason to the stories, then we are not taking them on faith. We are just proving them to be true. Our faith is what pleases god, not our logic.

Things We Must Accept on Faith

The Hebrews writer confirms that it is impossible to please god without this type of faith. He also goes on to suggest two things that this unseeing (blind) faith must cover. The first is that we must, without any evidence, believe that god exists. This is a big ask for anyone. We cannot wonder about the existence of god. We cannot try to prove the existence of god, because the attempt to prove it suggests that proof is needed. We may deny that proof is needed for us, but merely seek it for the sake of converting others. That rather misses the point by a wide margin. If god demands faith without evidence from us, he equally requires it from whomever we might convert. If we convert someone with evidence, then we have deprived them of faith. We are attempting to give them what god has withheld: proof.

No! It is a presuppositional requirement that we possess simple and uncritical belief in god. The reason that critique and doubt can never enter the picture is that the only way to remove doubt is with evidence. The only way to convert doubt to assurance is to conclusively prove that which was formerly doubted.

Once Thomas saw and touched the death wounds of Jesus, he was forever locked out of the truest form of faith, which is to believe without seeing, according to the story. Once our doubts are erased by proof, then we are no better than Thomas. Seeking proof is the same as demanding to see and touch the wounds. True faith cannot abide this.

In addition to believing in god’s existence, we must believe that he will reward us. I suppose, though not specifically mentioned, that we must believe in his punishments as well. I am guessing that reward is intended to be motivation for us to do what god requires of us. This becomes a part of the central theme of the chapter. All of those who demonstrated great faith, went on to receive a greater reward. Here is just one example:

Women received back their dead by resurrection. Others were tortured and refused to be released so they could gain a better resurrection. He. 11:35

Apparently, among the rewards were women receiving back their dead (children, husbands, fathers) by resurrection, and obtaining a better resurrection for one’s self by enduring more torture than was even required. I have no idea what it means to receive back one’s dead. Nor have I any understanding of varying levels of resurrection. I only know that belief in these rewards was the motivating factor for acts of valor and martyrdom. Belief in reward, ask any Muslim man who has ever strapped a bomb to his chest, can inspire extreme behavior. Clearly, god is counting on that kind of belief as well...

dandbj13

Continuation...

Secondary to believing in god and his rewards, is belief in the bible. That is somewhat counterintuitive, as the bible is the book that tells us about god and his rewards. However, we do not actually learn about god from the bible; we learn about god long before we have any knowledge of the bible. In the same way, we do not learn to speak from English books. We learn language long before we ever encounter a text.

Almost everything we believe about god, we gain from extra-biblical sources. The bible can be completely disproven, and faith in god would not be destroyed. Many believers feel that they have a personal connection with god that transcends the written word. Against such belief, I offer no rebuttal. For everyone else who clings to the sanctity of scripture, I contend that such sanctity is wholly dependent on the untested presumption that the bible is a magic book from god.

Though the bible is not required for faith in god, it is most certainly required for bible-based religion. There is no Judea/Christian religion without the Judea/Christian scriptures. The god of that tradition is bound to the pages of his revealed word. He cannot escape it or diminish its importance, as many of his followers try. Absolute faith in the god of the bible, requires, by association, absolute faith in the bible, itself.

Stories of Evidence

The evidence seeker who wishes to live a life of faith must be content with stories of evidence rather than the attainment of evidence. This is a very confusing concept to grasp. That is because the bible is filled with exciting stories about god providing dramatic evidence of his presence and power.

The bible wouldn’t be worth reading if it was neutered of all references to miracles and unnatural events. It would be like the Jefferson Bible, which you probably haven’t read. And who can blame you? Remove the miracles and you remove the creation story, the ten plagues, the victory of the 300, Elijah, the birth, deeds, and resurrection of Jesus, the acts of the apostles, and any formulation of life after death.

All the wonders of the bible were presented as evidence for god’s existence and power. All of this evidence is bound in fragments of copies of manuscripts that we cannot critically deconstruct. Almost everyone in scripture who did a mighty deed, did so because they had been shown a miracle that sealed their faith. They did not act based on the story of miracles as we are asked to do. Why did god provide evidence to the people of the bible, but require readers of the bible to be content with stories of evidence?

Though the writers of the Christian scriptures gave lip-service to the idea of faith, they did so while, supposedly, raising dead people from sealed graves. Who needs faith when you can see a trick like that? Jesus demanded faith. But it was also known that he would restore sight to the blind for the cost of no more than a mud bath. Faith is somewhat easier to come by when there are people regularly healing all types of illnesses, controlling the weather, and raising the dead.

No one was asked to believe without incontrovertible evidence. They had god speaking to them in a disembodied voice, or in a flaming bush that did not burn, or given visions not explainable by wacky weed, or shown wonders that should have scrambled their minds, or miraculously healed, or some other thing that let them know they were in the presence of power. If such displays were good enough for them, why isn’t it good enough for us? Why provide evidence to one group, and demand faith from another?

What makes this generation less worthy of a sign? Though Jesus rebuked Thomas, he showed him his death wounds nonetheless. Do we not even get to see that much? Where are the holy relics of power from the days of old? Why has the Ark of the Covenant gone quiet when it used to be able to raise empires? If the passing shadow or discarded handkerchief of an apostle could heal the sick, where are the well preserved threads from those garments? Why is it that in this age of scientific inquiry, we are required faith, while in the age of preliterate superstition, they were provided incontrovertible evidence? Why faith? Why Us? Why?

I believe there can only be one answer that fully satisfies logic. The reason we are given stories rather than evidence is because stories are all there ever was. If this was a thousands year old universe, it wouldn’t look like billions. If the 10 plagues had occurred, there would be drawings and writing as testimony to the events. Had Jesus walked the earth and done a fraction of the things in the stories, then we wouldn’t need the bible to know about him. Libraries would not be able to contain the journals, letters, drawings, interviews, and powerful relics.

That is precisely why our songbooks are filled with songs about the old, old story, rather than catchy tunes about signs and wonders. We want to hear the old stories because old stories are all we have ever had. While stories about walking on dry land across a parted ocean are nice, I would much rather have a single puddle moved out of my way when walking to the store. You might be excited by stories of miraculous healing. I would settle for the clearing of my congested sinuses. Stories of resurrection mean very little when you are at the funeral of a friend. I, for one, am sick and tired of the old, old, stories.

I would like to sing a new song filled with verses of new stories about mind-blowing miracles that I have seen and experienced. Raise to life any of my friends who died over the past year, and I, too, will have unshakable faith. But no. God wants me to have the kind of faith that is divorced from evidence, faith without sight, blind faith. I am incapable of such faith. I demand to see reasonable proof of that which I am expected to believe. If that is too much to ask, then I want no part of it, and neither should you.

dandbj13

That strikes me as little more than inane fluff, and it gets worse moving forward. Sorry.

Thanks for your opinion. I would appreciate it more if I understood it. The bit you quoted is a direct quote from the bible. I doubt you have read the entire piece I posted before your comment. I don't mind disagreement. I would just like to know with what you disagree, and the basis for your disagreement. Thanks.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
The bit you quoted is a direct quote from the bible.
Yours, not mine, but you did indicate that you were writing "from the perspective of a former Christian" so I don't hold it against you.

I doubt you have read the entire piece I posted before your comment.
You would be wrong.

Let me ask you a question: What are your favorite three books (or articles) on the topic of faith?

dandbj13

Let me ask you a question: What are your favorite three books (or articles) on the topic of faith?

I would have to think a while for the top three. One of them would be, "The End of Faith" by Sam Harris.

About the chapter, do you believe I have misrepresented the New Testament doctrine of faith? How does the Jewish perspective differ? What is it about the chapter you took offense to? Thanks.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
dandjg13, how is ...
It’s impossible to please God without faith because the one who draws near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards people who try to find him.
... anything other than the most sophomoric non sequitur?

As for the rest, you might wish to see here.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
God wants me to have the kind of faith that is divorced from evidence, faith without sight, blind faith. I am incapable of such faith. I demand to see reasonable proof of that which I am expected to believe. If that is too much to ask, then I want no part of it, and neither should you.
In my opinion, you presume far too much.

Kemble

dandbj13, the best definition for faith I've come across that contains more than the obvious wisdom is: "Faith is believing what you know ain't so." - Mark Twain

It's tremendously hard to fool your unconscious, yet conventional religious folks attempt it all the time.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen."
This quote always had me scratching my head. Christians would sometimes post it in apologetic rants. It sounds very poetic and all, but I could never see the sense of it -- and, I suspect, most of the Christians wouldn't have been able to explain it either.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
God wants me to have the kind of faith that is divorced from evidence, faith without sight, blind faith. I am incapable of such faith. I demand to see reasonable proof of that which I am expected to believe. If that is too much to ask, then I want no part of it, and neither should you.
In my opinion, you presume far too much.
If presuming that others should aspire to more than blind faith is far too much, then you are correct; I presume far too much. Thank you for your input.
You presume a definition of faith.
You presume a God that shares that definition.
You presume a God that wants you to exhibit a faith so defined.
You fabricate a category called 'reasonable proof' and then presume to demand it.

It's a tiresome rant sorely lacking in sophistication and originality.

I, on the other hand, don't like green eggs and ham. I guess it's the old pork/kosher thing ...

... thanks for sharing.

dandbj13

You presume a definition of faith.
You presume a God that shares that definition.
You presume a God that wants you to exhibit a faith so defined.
You fabricate a category called 'reasonable proof' and then presume to demand it.

It's a tiresome rant sorely lacking in sophistication and originality.

I, on the other hand, don't like green eggs and ham. I guess it's the old pork/kosher thing ...

... thanks for sharing.

The definition of faith I presented is straight out of the New Testament. Your second and third point follow the first as necessary. As for your fourth point, I'm pretty sure I didn't invent reasonable proof.

I understand that the subject is annoying you. Feel free to PM me if you want to carry on. It sounds like you may not be very familiar with the New Testament. No problem. I recognize that my writing is tuned for the tradition from which I come. I welcome well-reasoned points of view from different traditions.

I fully recognize that the god of the Hebrew scriptures does not seem to be obsessed with faith. There is a huge difference between the two with regard to faith. If that is where you are coming from, it makes sense that you would see it differently.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
To me, faith is a belief regardless of evidence. Not in absence of it (though that is often the case as well). The final step is always analysis. We decide what something means, ultimately. This is where faith truly lives.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
But faith in the presence of evidence isn't really faith, it's knowledge.
When you expand a definition to include all belief, don't you render the term meaningless?

dandbj13

Very much, this. Faith and proof are polar opposites. They cannot exist together. The bible describes this as "walking by faith and not by sight". The opposite is necessarily inferred that walking by sight would be devoid of faith. You either adhere to a thing because you have faith, or because you have proof. But you can't do both. It must be one or the other.

gweber41

When you expand a definition to include all belief, don't you render the term meaningless?

The world is full of evidence, and anybody can find evidence that supports their worldview. However, for most things, we can't find enough evidence to completely prove something, and that is where faith comes in.

The original article quote 2 Corinthians 5:7 that says, "We live by faith not by sight." The author took that to mean Paul was saying we live without proof. That is not what he means; he merely meant you can't see God. In those days, many Christians would have known whether or not their message was true because it was based off of a historical event of which many of them were witnesses. That event was Jesus's resurrection from the dead. Either they knew it was a lie and were still willing to die for it (11 of the 12 Apostles were martyred according to church history) or they knew it to be true. I choose to believe it was true.

Of course, that evidence alone does not prove Christianity's claims to be true, but it is evidence that it is true. It is not enough evidence, however, and must be supplemented with faith.

Sir Doom

Cooler than most of you
So, if I look at a field of flowers and I see a multi-spectral display of floral insect attracting organs I am privy to evidence (seeing) that such a thing is before me therefore this is not faith.

Additionally, if I look at a field of flowers and I see a beautiful scene of colorful life designed purposefully by a loving creator for the viewing pleasure of his most loved creation, I am privy to the same evidence (seeing) that such a thing is before me therefore this is also not faith.

And I'm the one negating the term?