• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why faith is evil

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
i'm guessing you've never traveled to another country...
or know of any foreigners...

Actually, I have. I was in the Navy, you know. I was stationed in Naples, Italy for nearly two years. And I saw plenty of topless women at Capri, XXX stuff on regular TV (very late at night), they even showed women's breasts in regular TV commercials. That is not what I am talking about. I mean, Beyonce made a commercial and they will not show before 8 pm in England. I just don't think it is normal to have sex with every date you have- it should for people in love only. Sex has become cheap when it is supposed to be a beautiful thing.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Actually, I have. I was in the Navy, you know. I was stationed in Naples, Italy for nearly two years. And I saw plenty of topless women at Capri, XXX stuff on regular TV (very late at night), they even showed women's breasts in regular TV commercials. That is not what I am talking about. I mean, Beyonce made a commercial and they will not show before 8 pm in England. I just don't think it is normal to have sex with every date you have- it should for people in love only. Sex has become cheap when it is supposed to be a beautiful thing.

let me ask you this, have you seen this commercial?
this particular commercial isn't playing in the US...CNN wouldn't play all of it....
so i still don't understand where you are getting the idea the US is being exposed to more sexual content then these other countries...in fact it looks like the opposite... these other countries have raised the bar a lot higher than the US but yet the US has more unwanted teem pregnancy.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
let me ask you this, have you seen this commercial?
this particular commercial isn't playing in the US...CNN wouldn't play all of it....
so i still don't understand where you are getting the idea the US is being exposed to more sexual content then these other countries...in fact it looks like the opposite... these other countries have raised the bar a lot higher than the US but yet the US has more unwanted teem pregnancy.

Then it may have something to do with self control- getting caught in the moment without adequate protection.

waitasec

Veteran Member
to bring this back to the topic of why faith is evil...

i just watched a debated between christopher hitchen and dr demski.
in hitchens closing arguments he mentioned the evil done by mother theresa
the poster child of faith and christian love.
she was not a champion of empathy but of apathy and helped to perpetuate the impoverished conditions in calcutta. by faith she claimed birth control was a form of abortion and abortion was murder...
faith is evil...
it can lead to good, but since it's very purpose is for good the very fact that evil is caused by it makes faith null and void.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Invited and challenged (#672, #678) to substantiate that I “describe God as making decisions and having wants, needs, motives, and goals,” you can find/offer no such “description”.
Please see my responses to those posts. You seem to think that you can use ordinary descriptions of God's behavior and then simply deny their anthropomorphic implications be waving your hand. For example, the verb "relinquish" refers minimally to two sequentially-ordered events: one in which something is possessed followed by one in which that thing is no longer possessed. Calling the two events "simultaneous" does not give you a get-out-of-argument-free card.

Provided with clear evidence that these are attributes you attributed and described and I argued against....you cut and ignore all.

Failing completely to provide any such substantiating “description” from me and you flee back several posts to (entirely irrelevant), already covered equivocation about the definition/meaning of the word ““relinquish”
argumentum...ad...nauseam :facepalm:

Methinks you have taken “relinquish” to mean or imply the abandonment or loss of power. While the word relinquish can indeed mean-“ retire from; give up or abandon” there is no >permanence< inherent or suggested. What is "retired" from can be re engaged in, what is "abandoned" can be picked up again what is "given up" can be taken up again- especially in all instances by an 'omnipotent' being...
And...AGAIN...you use temporal descriptions for God's behavior. But you are claiming an absurdity. An omnipotent being, by definition, cannot be less than omnipotent even temporarily. It does not matter if all of this is done by some incomprehensible act of will or magic (which seems to be the operating assumption). There are logical limitations on what omnipotent beings can do. Creating a weight "to big to lift"? Remember that one? God can no more relinquish power than he can create a weight too big for him to lift. Nor can he, as an omniscient being, become ignorant of anything, even if temporarily.

In any case, it is clear that you want to embrace contradictory claims about your deity. It is all-powerful, yet vulnerable. It is all-knowing, yet ignorant. It behaves sequentially, yet does everything "simultaneously", whatever that means. And all because you simply declare it to be so. Starting out with a contradiction, you can arrive at any conclusion.