• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why don’t you believe in God?

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
First of all, I believe there is only one true Almighty God. Therefore I cannot agree with your question.

I'm assuming that you believe in a revealed God vs a belief created by someone else.

However I suspect most Gods that people worship are not consciously created. So do you believe in a revealed God because they have revealed themselves to you? Or do you believe in a God that has revealed themselves to someone else?

Yerda

Veteran Member
Answers to questions like how we got here and where we’re going.
I'd say I'm more focused on how to live while we're here and where we should be going.

I did think a lot about the "what does it all mean?" type stuff when I was younger - read a lot of philosophy, science and religion - but I ended up with more questions than answers. Even worse, I ended up with more questions about the questsions I started with. Never got near to any reasons for believing in a god, though I don't oppose other people being believers. I reckon they know what works for them better than I do.

EDIT: Also, experienced something beautiful, creative and communicative that I was convinced was somehow "the fabric of the world" a few times, but I was...um...chemically enhanced...at these times.

King Phenomenon

I'd say I'm more focused on how to live while we're here and where we should be going.

I did think a lot about the "what does it all mean?" type stuff when I was younger - read a lot of philosophy, science and religion - but I ended up with more questions than answers. Even worse, I ended up with more questions about the questsions I started with. Never got near to any reasons for believing in a god, though I don't oppose other people being believers. I reckon they know what works for them better than I do.

EDIT: Also, experienced something beautiful, creative and communicative that I was convinced was somehow "the fabric of the world" a few times, but I was...um...chemically enhanced...at these times.
That’s cool you tried when you were younger though.

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Well, at least you’re keeping an open mind while so many people seem to close the door

I maintain an open mind because I believe in supernatural phenomena for reasons that I've discussed often on this forum (such as these posts here and here, which include additional posts to read). Needless to say, I've witnessed enough of this phenomenon during the last forty-four years of my life that there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it is real. I've also had multiple eyewitnesses verify many of my first-hand experiences with it. Furthermore, two therapists and three psychologists have evaluated me in an effort to determine if there is a natural explanation for what I've been experiencing since I was six years old, but there is none. I've also undergone a psychiatric evaluation and two cranial CT scans in further efforts to find a natural explanation for what I experience, but yet again, there is none. As a result, I'm confident that what I'm experiencing is real, and that modern science has yet to conclusively explain it. These are the primary reasons why I believe there are genuine supernatural phenomena in the physical world, which neither modern science nor religious texts like the Bible or the Quran, nor any religious dogma, can rationally explain or debunk. Of course, what I believe is my personal viewpoint.

In conclusion, I thought I'd repost what I wrote in another thread on a related topic because I think it is relevant to this discussion.

I was a Christian for thirty years and had sincerely believed in God for ten years before that, and I had never seen, experienced, or interacted with God. I knew and know plenty of Christians who said they felt the "presence" of God in their lives, but I never felt it, and it wasn't for a lack of trying either. In my case, sincerely believing in God by faith didn't exactly work out for me, nor did years of dedicated and earnest prayer to God. So I no longer accept the existence of any deity based on faith. Having said that, I'm not willing to entirely dismiss the existence of any deities because I believe in supernatural phenomena, and the existence of deities could be a possibility in this regard. I can honestly say that I believe that human spirits and non-human entities exist, but I don't just claim to believe without providing what I consider to be evidence that substantiates my belief. I'm totally convinced, and I've shared my experiences on this forum for two years now. I'm not convinced that any deities exist, but I'm certain that human spirits and non-human entities exist.

I'm sure that it would make a significant difference for me if I could conclusively document the existence of deities like I can with human spirits and non-human entities as a veteran paranormal researcher and investigator, or if I could sense, see, hear, and directly communicate with any kind of deity like I can with human spirits and non-human entities as a psychic medium. As a medium, I've spent the past 44 years of my life sensing, seeing, and hearing human spirits as well as a few non-human entities. For the past sixteen years, my life has been comprised of having direct interactions with human spirits and a few non-human entities, but I have never had any form of direct encounter (feeling, seeing, hearing, or directly speaking to) with any deity. The only supernatural phenomena I have ever witnessed while in a church were the spirits of confused Christians who had no idea what was happening to them.

King Phenomenon

I maintain an open mind because I believe in supernatural phenomena for reasons that I've discussed often on this forum (such as these posts here and here, which include additional posts to read). Needless to say, I've witnessed enough of this phenomenon during the last forty-four years of my life that there is absolutely no doubt in my mind that it is real. I've also had multiple eyewitnesses verify many of my first-hand experiences with it. Furthermore, two therapists and three psychologists have evaluated me in an effort to determine if there is a natural explanation for what I've been experiencing since I was six years old, but there is none. I've also undergone a psychiatric evaluation and two cranial CT scans in further efforts to find a natural explanation for what I experience, but yet again, there is none. As a result, I'm confident that what I'm experiencing is real, and that modern science has yet to conclusively explain it. These are the primary reasons why I believe there are genuine supernatural phenomena in the physical world, which neither modern science nor religious texts like the Bible or the Quran, nor any religious dogma, can rationally explain or debunk. Of course, what I believe is my personal viewpoint.

In conclusion, I thought I'd repost what I wrote in another thread on a related topic because I think it is relevant to this discussion.

I was a Christian for thirty years and had sincerely believed in God for ten years before that, and I had never seen, experienced, or interacted with God. I knew and know plenty of Christians who said they felt the "presence" of God in their lives, but I never felt it, and it wasn't for a lack of trying either. In my case, sincerely believing in God by faith didn't exactly work out for me, nor did years of dedicated and earnest prayer to God. So I no longer accept the existence of any deity based on faith. Having said that, I'm not willing to entirely dismiss the existence of any deities because I believe in supernatural phenomena, and the existence of deities could be a possibility in this regard. I can honestly say that I believe that human spirits and non-human entities exist, but I don't just claim to believe without providing what I consider to be evidence that substantiates my belief. I'm totally convinced, and I've shared my experiences on this forum for two years now. I'm not convinced that any deities exist, but I'm certain that human spirits and non-human entities exist.

I'm sure that it would make a significant difference for me if I could conclusively document the existence of deities like I can with human spirits and non-human entities as a veteran paranormal researcher and investigator, or if I could sense, see, hear, and directly communicate with any kind of deity like I can with human spirits and non-human entities as a psychic medium. As a medium, I've spent the past 44 years of my life sensing, seeing, and hearing human spirits as well as a few non-human entities. For the past sixteen years, my life has been comprised of having direct interactions with human spirits and a few non-human entities, but I have never had any form of direct encounter (feeling, seeing, hearing, or directly speaking to) with any deity. The only supernatural phenomena I have ever witnessed while in a church were the spirits of confused Christians who had no idea what was happening to them.
Thank you for sharing. It must be something else, talking to, feeling and seeing ghosts.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Do you acknowledge that convincing evidence is currently lacking, and that no rational mind can conclude a God exists?
That is ONLY a matter of opinion.
In my opinion convincing evidence is not currently lacking, and a rational mind can conclude a God exists.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I don't believe in God for the same reason that you don't believe in other mythological beings such as leprechauns.
Do you mean the OT Bible God? I don't believe in that one either but I believe in God.
It is not fair to judge God by what is in the Bible since the Bible is not the only holy book in the world and it was not written for people living in this modern age.