• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why doesn't God save starving children

genypher

I find it interesting that God gave food to the Israelites in the desert, healed them, freed them from their slavemasters, gave them laws, became Man and rose the dead to life, healed the blind and sick, and fed the hungry-- and yet, doesn't do any of that now.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I find it interesting that God gave food to the Israelites in the desert, healed them, freed them from their slavemasters, gave them laws, became Man and rose the dead to life, healed the blind and sick, and fed the hungry-- and yet, doesn't do any of that now.
We do not know God "doesn't do any of that now".

Just because something happening does not get in the news does not mean it didn't happen.

genypher

Knowing is for science, not for faith.

You were the one who used the word... ;) But I agree. Faith is about belief rather than gnosis.

Theodicy is a philosophical/theological dilemma that I don't think anyone can solve. It is up to the individual adherent to find peace in the existence of a god of love, power, and action in a world full of pain and suffering.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
You were the one who used the word... ;) But I agree. Faith is about belief rather than gnosis.

Theodicy is a philosophical/theological dilemma that I don't think anyone can solve. It is up to the individual adherent to find peace in the existence of a god of love, power, and action in a world full of pain and suffering.
But see it ISN'T "full of" pain and suffering. I am so sure that pain and suffering is LESS than joy and good will.

Even in the worst tribulations of Earth, there was love present. So nowhere was anything ever full of badness.

lostwanderingsoul

God gave mankind many chances to follow and obey Him. every time people turned their backs to God and did what they wanted. now God has turned His back on mankind

It is explained in the NT that all these things would cease.

1 Corinthians 13:7-9.
7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.9For we know in part and we prophesy in part;…

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

7 bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 8 Love never fails; but if there are gifts of prophecy, they will be done away; if there are tongues, they will cease; if there is knowledge, it will be done away.9For we know in part and we prophesy in part;…
No. It doesn't say "they will be done away with". It says they will cease. To be done away with needs a doer. Ceasing is caused by inactivity.

Strong's Greek: 2673. καταργέω (katargeó) -- to render inoperative, abolish

The governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses teach that it was God's order to get rid of the gifts of The Spirit.

It is obviously a prophecy of what was going to happen because of idleness and NOT because of God's will.

genypher

But see it ISN'T "full of" pain and suffering. I am so sure that pain and suffering is LESS than joy and good will.

Even in the worst tribulations of Earth, there was love present. So nowhere was anything ever full of badness.

We both agree on this, even though I don't believe in deities. I see the world as full of goodness.

lostwanderingsoul

if very few people do what they want, why is there so much hate and intolerance and war. if God has not turned His back on mankind why is there suffering and hate and war

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
I think The Father is waiting for us to feed them. There is plenty of food to feed everyone on the planet, we have to ask ourselves why, in this day and age, no one is giving it to those who need it. Why are governments allowing their own people to go hungry?

All this does not work when we ask an alternative question: why does God let children die of cancer? Or earthquakes, tsunamis, etc.

If the Father is waiting for us to feed them, why should we not expect from Him to stop things that are obviously outside our control?

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

genypher

huh. I am well familiar with Corinthians 13, and never took the above to be the implied meaning.

No. It doesn't say "they will be done away with". It says they will cease. To be done away with needs a doer. Ceasing is caused by inactivity.

Strong's Greek: 2673. καταργέω (katargeó) -- to render inoperative, abolish

The governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses teach that it was God's order to get rid of the gifts of The Spirit.

It is obviously a prophecy of what was going to happen because of idleness and NOT because of God's will.

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 1.18.36 PM.png
Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 1.19.15 PM.png

Screen Shot 2015-05-26 at 1.17.32 PM.png

1 Corinthians 13:8 Interlinear: The love doth never fail; and whether there be prophecies, they shall become useless; whether tongues, they shall cease; whether knowledge, it shall become useless;

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
if very few people do what they want, why is there so much hate and intolerance and war. if God has not turned His back on mankind why is there suffering and hate and war
I do not believe people want to do bad. People sin for many reasons. Some reasons are to feel better, to release anger, for something to do, to get attention, to get justice, to get life's necessities, to feel superior.......

People who are always at ease with more than enough of the things that make life enjoyable and interesting are very few.

There is suffering and hate and war because humankind is turned away from God, not God away from us.

huh. I am well familiar with Corinthians 13, and never took the above to be the implied meaning.
Jesus performed miracles when he was here to show Gods power.It was a demonstration of Gods love.

John 9:3-5.3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work.5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

Now that we have the holy scriptures, there is no need for miracles from God.Now it is about faith.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jesus performed miracles when he was here to show Gods power.It was a demonstration of Gods love.

John 9:3-5.3 “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the works of God might be displayed in him.4 As long as it is day, we must do the works of him who sent me. Night is coming, when no one can work.5 While I am in the world, I am the light of the world.”

Now that we have the holy scriptures, there is no need for miracles from God.Now it is about faith.
Miracles are about faith. No faith, no miracles.