• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does the PS4 still cost so much?

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
It's about $60 more than an Xbox One S and it doesn't even have a 4k Blu-ray player like the Xbox does. You would think that Sony is selling enough of them so they could drop the price a bit. I was wondering about this because I'd like to get a PS4 sometime this year because the exclusives are fantastic. I already have an Xbox One. But I don't want to pay $300 for it.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Hey mate...
I reckon you kinda answered your own question. In short, because they are still selling at that price, and they have enough strong exclusives that they predict that will continue.
It's not based on the technology as much as what the market will pay.

Jumi

Yep, what @lewisnotmiller said, it's supply and demand. I haven't followed consoles since PS2(unless you count Wii), but I've read an analysis that PS4 is pretty much dominating that market.

HonestJoe

It's about $60 more than an Xbox One S and it doesn't even have a 4k Blu-ray player like the Xbox does. You would think that Sony is selling enough of them so they could drop the price a bit. I was wondering about this because I'd like to get a PS4 sometime this year because the exclusives are fantastic. I already have an Xbox One. But I don't want to pay $300 for it.
There’s generally little or no margin for the manufacturers on the actual consoles, sometimes they’re even being made at a loss. Their profits generally come from the licensing for games so while it’s obviously still in their interest to sell as many as possible, they have to strike a very delicate balance between taking a hit on the console pricing and any projected benefit they’ll receive in game sales.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
It's just what happens when you smash all your competitors this console cycle. Let's be fair, the Xbox 1 got destroyed by Sony in sales and exclusives this cycle. And I've heard that the PS4 has better hardware, anyway. RIP console gaming. Eventually, we shall all be a part of the PC Master race. Oh, what a glorious day that shall be!

suncowiam

The simplest answer is that it is not the same as an Xbox S.

Each company positions their products at price points and tiers to maximize their profits whike countering their competitors products.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
It's just what happens when you smash all your competitors this console cycle. Let's be fair, the Xbox 1 got destroyed by Sony in sales and exclusives this cycle. And I've heard that the PS4 has better hardware, anyway. RIP console gaming. Eventually, we shall all be a part of the PC Master race. Oh, what a glorious day that shall be!
The PS4 does not have better hardware, especially compared to the S and the X.

I don't see how console gaming is dying.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
The PS4 does not have better hardware, especially compared to the S and the X.

I don't see how console gaming is dying.
I was referring to the base PS4 and base Xbox 1. I realize now that your OP is specifically referring to the Xbox 1 S. Oops. And the comment about console gaming being dead was a bit tongue in cheek.:)

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Hey mate...
I reckon you kinda answered your own question. In short, because they are still selling at that price, and they have enough strong exclusives that they predict that will continue.
It's not based on the technology as much as what the market will pay.
Not only that but VR capibility. Something Xbox dosent have.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle

Boo hoo hoo, the XBOX 360 in 3rd world countries is still worth 500 dollars and about 850 for the new gen systems, paying half price for what it cost in the beginning? I say you are getting off light.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
You are complaining about paying less than half price! You can wait a few years till the next gen comes out and it'll drop to 50-100 usd, since there is no PS5 out and the PS4 hasn't been discontinued its safe to say the price will not drop but this seems like a 1st world problem. It's petty dude.

Saint Frankenstein

Gone
Premium Member
You are complaining about paying less than half price! You can wait a few years till the next gen comes out and it'll drop to 50-100 usd, since there is no PS5 out and the PS4 hasn't been discontinued its safe to say the price will not drop but this seems like a 1st world problem. It's petty dude.
It was a question. Grow up. Are you 12? Also, when you reply to someone, hit the "reply" button at the bottom right so that the person you're replying to gets a notification.

Cacotopia

Let's go full Trottle
" I would appreciate getting a notification if you hit reply and not just posting at the bottom."

I get a notification at the bottom of my screen that notifies me when new posts are made to the thread.