• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does the God of the Old Testament seem so much different?

ZooGirl02

Hey everyone. Why is it that the God of the Old Testament seems so much different from the God of the New Testament? I mean, the Lord, Himself, commands the Jews to slay all of the Amalekites, even their infants! I don't understand this.

Skwim

Veteran Member
Hey everyone. Why is it that the God of the Old Testament seems so much different from the God of the New Testament? I mean, the Lord, Himself, commands the Jews to slay all of the Amalekites, even their infants! I don't understand this.
The New Testament god is the sanitized, expurgated version. Mean doesn't sell as well as nice.

ZooGirl02

The New Testament god is the sanitized, expurgated version. Mean doesn't sell as well as nice.

Okay I understand where you are coming from and I suppose it is possible that the authors of the New Testament wrote it the way they did for this reason but I don't know. Surely there is some other explanation of the cruel verses in the Old Testament? I mean, surely Christians can't just simply say "Well, God changed." when the Bible itself says that God does not change. I am just so confused.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One

The times were far different in the OT, the Isrealites were being attacked by many different nations and in dealing with those circumstances, Jehovah/YWHY demonstrated his power and justice in behalf of his people. At times this called for the destruction of entire nations such as the Amalakites, but there are also instances where he showed mercy to his enemies such as the people of Nineveh. He had pronounced their judgement and when they all repented he spared the entire city...look it up in the book of Jonah. We also read about the destruction of Jericho, but he spared the life of a prostitute and her family because she expressed faith in Jehovah and helped the 2 isrealite spies get out of the city. And when he pronounced war on the Cananites, he spared several Canaanite cities such as the Gibeonites because they requested peace with Isreal. So contrary to opinion, the God of the OT really was merciful and loving when people showed the right attitude.

Jesus himself didnt always speak of love and mercy...he also spoke about the destruction of the wicked ones. In both parts of the Bible, God is presented as the righteous Judge of those who repeatedly, grossly, and unrepentantly violate his laws and harm others. At John 3:36 it states: “He that exercises faith in the Son has everlasting life; he that disobeys the Son will not see life, but the wrath of God remains upon him.”

Also consider that the land was given to the Isrealites and the groups of people occupying the land had the choice to leave peacefully, but they chose to fight for the land. Many of those people were permitted to remain on the land, and some he even protected such as the Gibeonites who were a cannanite tribe...so he only destroyed nations who absolutely deserved it.

Smoke

Done here.

I don't think so. People act like the Jewish God is stern and vengeful and the Christian God is sweet and pacific, but actually reading the Bible doesn't bear that out. The NT God doesn't order massacres, but he's all too eager to throw people into hell. God is kind of a monster in both testaments.

Smoke

Done here.
Jesus himself didnt always speak of love and mercy
No, he didn't.

Many of those people were permitted to remain on the land, and some he even protected such as the Gibeonites who were a cannanite tribe...so he only destroyed nations who absolutely deserved it.
No, that's disingenuous. The Gibeonites tricked the Israelites into making a treaty with them instead of slaughtering them, and Joshua was all kinds of ticked off when he realized he'd been fooled. And then later Saul killed most of them anyway.

Zardoz

Wonderful Wizard
Premium Member
Christianity DIR. Ya, I almost posted too. Too easy to miss that, IMHO, given the name of the forum.

Midnight Pete

I don't think so. People act like the Jewish God is stern and vengeful and the Christian God is sweet and pacific, but actually reading the Bible doesn't bear that out. The NT God doesn't order massacres, but he's all too eager to throw people into hell. God is kind of a monster in both testaments.

God offered His own son as a sacrifice to cover the sins of the world. In the person of Jesus Christ, God reaches out to save. Not a monster by any stretch of the imagination, but I understand why you, Smoke, would call Him one.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
No, that's disingenuous. The Gibeonites tricked the Israelites into making a treaty with them instead of slaughtering them, and Joshua was all kinds of ticked off when he realized he'd been fooled. And then later Saul killed most of them anyway.

yes they did trick them, but even after they were discovered, the Gibeonites were not harmed. In fact, the only ones who wanted to harm the Gibeonites were their cannanite brothers from the other tribes. They roused up an army to kill the Gibeonites but who protected the Gibeonites from the attack? None other then the Isrealites.

So when it came to war, the Isrealites waged 'righteous warfare' because their God Jehovah was a righteous and just God.

Bereanz

Check out this website, it will have answers for all your tough questions. A Christian Thinktank

The LORD is gracious and compassionate; slow to anger and rich in love. 9 The LORD is good to all; he has compassion on all he has made. (Ps 145.8-9)

For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. (Jer 29.11)

And he passed in front of Moses, proclaiming, "The LORD, the LORD, the compassionate and gracious God, slow to anger, abounding in love and faithfulness, maintaining love to thousands, and forgiving wickedness, rebellion and sin. (Ex 34.6)

The LORD will judge his people and have compassion on his servants when he sees their strength is gone and no one is left, slave or free. (Deut 32.36)

As a bridegroom rejoices over his bride, so your God will rejoice over you. (Is 62.5)

The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing." (Zeph 3.17)

All day long I have held out my hands to an obstinate people, who walk in ways not good, pursuing their own imaginations, a people who continually provoke me to my very face, (Is 65.2)

"My people have committed two sins: They have forsaken me, the spring of living water, and have dug their own cisterns, broken cisterns that cannot hold water. (Jer 2.13)

Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy? Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare. Give ear and come to me; hear me that your soul may live. (Is 55.2)

I am the LORD your God, who brought you up out of Egypt. Open wide your mouth and I will fill it. "But my people would not listen to me; Israel would not submit to me. So I gave them over to their stubborn hearts to follow their own devices. (Ps 81.10f

Though he brings grief, he will show compassion, so great is his unfailing love. For he does not willingly bring affliction or grief to the children of men. (Lam 3.32)

For I take no pleasure in the death of anyone, declares the Sovereign LORD. Repent and live! (Ezek 18.32)

The above are all Old Testament Scriptures which leave no door open to re-interpretation as to the Character of the God of the Old Testament. God Bless You.

Last edited:

Villager

Babies were killed because the alternative was terrible death from exposure.

If it is thought that the NT God is a soft touch, there is another viewpoint on the way, sooner or later. The Amalekites opposed God, and were destroyed, though only physically. Perhaps some of them will be raised to life on the last day, see Jesus and accept him. That is a warning for us, today. Those who oppose God in this age, knowing the fate of the Amalekites and others unfit to live, knowing God through Jesus, will have a much less welcome time, even though they here live off the fat of the land and die in their beds. One should not mistake God's present mercy, to allow a chance of heart, for eventual lenity.

gdemoss

servant

I thought so too until I understood what the new testament actually is. You and I have the opportunity to obtain eternal life. All we have to do is follow Jesus. Having no fellowship with darkness but rather reproving them. Explain to an entertainment crazed world that they need to stop being so wicked and turn to God. Tell sports fans everywhere that to use your body to compete and gain carnal favor or honors is sin and that they need to forsake them and turn to God. You end up as popular as Lot when he said to the Sodomites "Brothers don't do so wickedly". Some will say to me....I only need to believe in the blood of Jesus to be saved. To this I say, you must repent (turn from your sin, selfishness to selflessness, in other words pick up you cross and deny yourself) and believe.

Gods wrath is being saved for the day of wrath. In the mean time it is our turn to endure such contradictions of sinners against ourselves. Being obedient even unto death.

starchild

In the old testament we were under God the Fathers rules which could never be perfect no matter how hard anyone tried. In the new testment Jesus fulfilled his fathers rules and gave us an easier way to please his father by covering us God sees us as sons with Jesus's blood he takes his Fathers wrath and joins us back together with him after he gave us up. Thats why he will also graft many back in to the family tree in due time. So we learn on this earth to be of ONE- - -mind- - -spirit for our sake to love everyone. So we can also stand up again, upright in thought, understanding, knowledge.

BilliardsBall

Veteran Member

God in both testaments is consistent. Mercy for those who trust Him, judgment on the wicked.

Regarding your other question, hearing about the Jewish success in battle and that God was truly with them, many of the indigenous peoples in Israel converted or assimilated with Israel rather than fight them in battle.