• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why Does God Want Us to Believe in Him?

Dream Angel

Assuming God exists, what reason could there be for Him to want people to believe in Him?

How would you feel if we denied your existance? What is the purpose of not believing someone who exists. Its like saying the sky is orange when its clearly blue (well sometimes cloudy blue - but you get the point :D )

Dr. Nosophoros

Actually I want to rush back to some work. Don't worry, I don't think anyone truly understands the full extent of nature...especially not me! :)
Then why pretend?

God (at best) seems nothing more than a spoiled, petulant child who treats it's long suffering toys with promises of goodness if one worships it, a second rate cherub who has been given more respect than it really deserves.

uumckk16

Assuming God exists, what reason could there be for Him to want people to believe in Him?

I don't think he wants people to believe in him. I think he wants people to be in relationship with him.

Just as I don't believe he created us so he would have someone to worship him (as I was told by an Evangelical Christian last week); I think he created us so he would have someone to love and someone to love him.

ayani

i would say- to be able to commune with Him, listen for Him, and better understand His world.

would i say that one *needs* to believe in God to be able to do these things? no.

Just as I don't believe he created us so he would have someone to worship him (as I was told by an Evangelical Christian last week); I think he created us so he would have someone to love and someone to love him.
I don't see those purposes as mutually exclusive, do you?

Guitar's Cry

Disciple of Pan
Those who view existence through a theistic paradigm see God as being a cure for existential malaise. Believe in God, and you receive salvation. Believe in God, and existence is much less absurd.

The thing is, not all atheists suffer from existential malaise, and there are some theists who do.

EtuMalku

Abn Iblis ابن إبليس
Now, this is a tough thread. Quite a lot of ground to cover with this simple question.
Though I don't believe in God, if I did (already I sound moronic) I would look at the 'FAITH' concept! He doesn't want us to believe anything, He wants us to have Faith in Him.

John Grey

Are we to assume that God does want us to believe in Him?
Or can we pass it off as human ignorance of what God does or does not want?

Okay. You get a :cookie: for that one.

God is like a good parent; it doesn't want anything that we do not want for ourselves. So the question becomes, why do we want to believe in God? To be honest, I've tried imagining my life without something bigger than myself; without something to be grateful towards. I can't do it. It doesn't seem real to me.

Now doubting the NATURE of God - that I can do all day long with both arms tied behind my back, blindfolded, and with my nose stuffed with squid. :)

cardero

Citizen Mod
Why Does God Want Us to Believe in Him?
He doesn't.

YOU K(NOW) what? That (believing in GOD) is their right and privilege. I do not need for anyone to LOVE ME or like ME or acknowledge ME. I AM LOVE, and I certainly have enough LOVE for the many who do not want to believe. I must confess that I find the whole concept of not believing in ME most intriguing.

HELLO IT'S ME: An Interview WIth GOD
Chapter: Preferences
Pg: 49

Comprehend

Res Ipsa Loquitur

Because this life isn't the end of everything. He has a plan for us and believing in Him is not the end of it, it is the beginning. Once we believe, then the real education begins.

BruceDLimber

I take His existence as a given.

And the answer is clearly for our own benefit, as our doing so clearly has no effect on Him one way or the other!

Peace,

Bruce

Hema

Sweet n Spicy
Then why pretend?

If you want to jump to your own conclusions and make false accusations, this has no bearing on my life.

I was merely trying to be humble, but whatever.....:rolleyes:

I was simply trying to make a friendly gesture by agreeing to disagree.

God (at best) seems nothing more than a spoiled, petulant child who treats it's long suffering toys with promises of goodness if one worships it, a second rate cherub who has been given more respect than it really deserves.

Once again, this is your personal opinion and it has no bearing on my life. ;)