• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why does God command things we can only do by depending on His provision to do?

whirlingmerc

For example, in the book written the last month of Moses life before entering the promised land:
God commands the Israelites to circumcise their hearts
But Moses tells them God is the one who will circumcise their hearts

rusra02

Premium Member
For example, in the book written the last month of Moses life before entering the promised land:
God commands the Israelites to circumcise their hearts
But Moses tells them God is the one who will circumcise their hearts
The Israelites were to circumcise their hearts by obeying Jehovah's commands. At Jeremiah 4:4 God said; "Circumcise yourselves to Jehovah, And remove the foreskins of your hearts,You men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem." Jeremiah says regarding the Israelites; "But this people has a stubborn and rebellious heart; They have turned aside and gone their own way. And they do not say in their heart: 'Let us now fear Jehovah our God,'" (5:23,24) I believe God would help them circumcise their hearts but would not force them to do so.

whirlingmerc

One can be jealous of something rightly your own. Burl, if you were married and your husband went out with his buddies every night and weekend you might be rightly jealous of his time. There is a healthy type of jealousy and unhealthy types.

Interestingly Stephen referred to the circumcision of the heart in

Acts 7
51 “You stiff-necked people, uncircumcised in heart and ears, you always resist the Holy Spirit. As your fathers did, so do you. 52 Which of the prophets did your fathers not persecute? And they killed those who announced beforehand the coming of the Righteous One, whom you have now betrayed and murdered, 53 you who received the law as delivered by angels and did not keep it.”

The Stoning of Stephen
54 Now when they heard these things they were enraged, and they ground their teeth at him.

whirlingmerc

actually in the marriage supper of the lamb, it is believers being married to the bridegroom, Jesus

I go with Jonathan Edwards take (circa 1720 ) whose first sermon was God Glorified on Man's Dependence

Burl

Why does God command things we can only do by depending on His provision to do?
So I thought about this all day along with the 'marriage of the lamb' which coincides with the polygamous custom of the time, and while noting that Allah and Jehovah could very well be the same entity, I think the friction between faiths may coincide with the human penchant towards selfishness. I may have this all wrong but it looks like the friction between opposites, and the maintenance of it, becomes the whole point to an immortal.