• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you believe?

Why do you believe?

• Because I was raised in a religious context

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Because I'm afraid to go to Hell

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Because I need to believe in something

Votes: 2 5.7%
  • Because I'm afraid there's nothing after death

• Because I don't think that we owe our existence to random events

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • I don't believe

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Because it fits in with my own life experiences which has shaped ny philosophical outlook

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Because it fits with my philosophical outlook (but no 'experiences' to speak of)

• Total voters

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
From an artistic veiwpoint, but i personally dont see the beaty,

Sort of like I never really understood the Mona Lisa's appeal, as it's just a portrait of some woman to me.

Religion is an art, and in my opinion, it must be approached and regarded as such.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Buy a dictionary

I have plenty, and need none of them since I have the internet, and I understand what the word perceive means.

What I'm confused about is that you said you perceive "it" ("it" being the explanation being presented to you), and I pointed out that you didn't perceive anything, since hearing an explanation is not enough to accurately perceive what's being explained. Then you backpeddled apparently and said that you never said you perceived anything.

Care to explain that?

Draka

Wonder Woman
No one else has really come forward with details.

And why would they, should they? See, this is why so many theists are hesitant to share their experiences. One, not only is it incredibly hard to even try to put into mere words the overwhelming feelings and more that are a part of such things, two, it's not like we have any real motivation to share anyway as most have no interest in whether non-believers believe or not, but mainly...why go through all that only to deal with the likes of you and your ilk? The ones who do nothing more than sit back and poo-poo everything said? The ones who ASK for our experiences only to mock them, to tell us we're wrong, to say we dreamed them, imagined them, hallucinated them, have delusions, and basically are too mentally deficient to figure it out without your ever so intelligent and logical guidance. Do you have ANY idea how rude that is? How annoying? So why would, why should, anyone bother to put themselves out there for you, knowing what kind of person you are and knowing exactly what you would do to them?

StarryNightshade

Spiritually confused Jew
Premium Member
And why would they, should they? See, this is why so many theists are hesitant to share their experiences. One, not only is it incredibly hard to even try to put into mere words the overwhelming feelings and more that are a part of such things, two, it's not like we have any real motivation to share anyway as most have no interest in whether non-believers believe or not, but mainly...why go through all that only to deal with the likes of you and your ilk? The ones who do nothing more than sit back and poo-poo everything said? The ones who ASK for our experiences only to mock them, to tell us we're wrong, to say we dreamed them, imagined them, hallucinated them, have delusions, and basically are too mentally deficient to figure it out without your ever so intelligent and logical guidance. Do you have ANY idea how rude that is? How annoying? So why would, why should, anyone bother to put themselves out there for you, knowing what kind of person you are and knowing exactly what you would do to them?

:clap

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member

You deserve more frubals. I think its time to all stop responding, have a theist strike.

Bobadeer

Thank you everyone for your answers and participation, although the thread has started to turn into an argument (which wasn't the purpose of this thread). This poll/thread was intended for a scientific research. This wasn't mentioned in order to prevent any possible biases. This research is about finding possible explanations for the emergence of spirituality and religious beliefs in the human species. We are sorry if the choices available weren't satisfying for some people as they wished to be very specific about their reasons for believing, however those choices were the ones retained by the board of research. The poll was mainly focused on organized religions as they are the most prevailing ones and had the greatest influence throughout centuries. Thank you all.

Robert Badeer, Ph.D, M.Sc

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
Also my own reason.

Experiences.

They shaped my beliefs.

They still do.

I didn't start out as a religious man. I was raised without religion, near-enough without God. I rejected the concept early on.

I fought the Lord and the Lord won. :p