• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do you believe The Bible is the literal "word of God?"

ericoh2

This question is for Christians and will require a great deal of objectivity and honesty. Why do you believe The Bible is the literal word of God? I am not talking about prophecies being fulfilled because they are all based on interpretation. Not to mention that you can find similar predictions in other books such as Nostradamus' work. I ask this question because I believe that the only reason most Christians hold this view is simply because of their environment. I believe that if this country were raised in an Islamic country the Christians of now would be just as adamant in supporting Islam as they are with Christianity. Of course this statement can also be said of the Islamic countries growing up in a Christian country. Thank you all in advance and have a great day :).

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
I'm not exactly a Christian, but I had a Catholic upbringing, and I am quite familiar with "The Good Book." To be real honest, I applied a scientific approach to the gospels and looked at it critically. I basically couldn't tell the difference between it and a Tolkien novel once I got passed my religious bias. I mean, let's not forget, the people who wrote the thing were very limited in terms of understanding how the world worked back then, and a number of other things could have happened than a "ressurection." I have heard many historians today say that the vinegar given to Jesus could have been in fact an anesthetic. The theory goes on to say that Jesus never actually died, he was just unconscious, and it was a clever trick by his followers to save him. There are plenty of other theories but I think you get my point. Anyways, I just think that unless any of us actually witnessed the ressurection, whatever the gospels say could be heresay.

Smoke

Done here.
I'm not a Christian, but I was, and when I was a Christian I didn't believe that the Bible was the literal word of God. In fact, I didn't understand then any more than I do now how anybody in his right mind could read the Bible and still believe that.

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
I'm so glad that a lot of us "Ex-Christians" have evolved into a state of higher thinking after countless generations of blind faith.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I don't believe that the entire Bible is literal. I believe that some stories and books are in a symbolic form or in parable form. A lot of Christians agree with me although some don't.

About hearsay-- You can say that about written history in any form-- None of us was alive to witness any of the things they write about back then. (I am not saying it is hearsay or not)

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
The problem I have with the "parable vs. literal" arguement is that how can we pick and choose what is literal and what is not? How do we tell the difference? It's all jumbled together and makes little since.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
The problem I have with the "parable vs. literal" arguement is that how can we pick and choose what is literal and what is not? How do we tell the difference? It's all jumbled together and makes little since.

Its personal..You know for yourself..

If the Bible says to be patient and kind...I can not say...NOPE ...I can "know" that I needed to hear that and be reminded of that especially if I have been impatient and unkind in the recent past..

If I'm instructed that if I am struck on one side of my face offer the other..I can use those words as a guide..If you tell me that I suck and you hate my guts?..I should not tell you I feel the same way in anger..Repaying evil with evil..But if litterally you hit me in the face?..I wouldnt offer you more to strike..I would defend myself with all my might.And no records of wrongs?..Depending on the sitution you very well might end up with a record of wrong..With the criminal justice system that is.

Love

Dallas

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
The problem I have with the "parable vs. literal" argument is that how can we pick and choose what is literal and what is not? How do we tell the difference? It's all jumbled together and makes little since.

As Dallas said, it is up to each person to decide whether you believe a certain story or book in the Bible is literal or a parable. All of the books of the bible were first written thousands of years ago. Some of the stories were started word of mouth (such as the creation story, Adam and Eve, the Flood, and so on). We don't really know anything about it for certain.

It is the message that is important.

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
So if it's up to each person to decide what is fact and what is fiction, then how can we claim to know what happened in real life with the gospels and what did not? Any Dr. Suess book has a message, but are they real life stories??? No.

Scott1

That's why some of us believe Christ willed there to be a Church.... :)

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
This question is for Christians and will require a great deal of objectivity and honesty. Why do you believe The Bible is the literal word of God?
I don't. Some of it I believe to be historical. Some of it I believe to be symbolic. Most of it I believe to be inspired. But I do NOT believe it to be inerrant.

(I love your avatar, by the way. St. Francis is my hero.)

gnostic

The Lost One
I am doubtful that people would die so quickly, being crucified. I would imagine that sort of punishment, would take the prisoner a couple of days to die.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
I am doubtful that people would die so quickly, being crucified. I would imagine that sort of punishment, would take the prisoner a couple of days to die.
Look up the conditions that occur when you are crucified. Medically you are fighting for every breath, how long can one go without proper oxygen saturation? I'll make the assumption that anyone would be begging for death to come quickly....There are medical accounts available on what happens during crucifixion, if you have never read them, they are very informative.

I believe the Bible is the inspired word of God, part written in the words of Jesus and part written by prophets and followers of Jesus.

;) Charity

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
So if it's up to each person to decide what is fact and what is fiction, then how can we claim to know what happened in real life with the gospels and what did not? Any Dr. Suess book has a message, but are they real life stories??? No.

It is not fiction, I was not saying that. It is symbolic. And none of the New Testament is in parables.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Why do you believe The Bible is the literal word of God?
I am a Christian and do not believe this statement. Why?
  • The Bible never claims to be the "Word" of God. In fact, John 1 teaches us that Jesus is the Word.
  • The Bible never claims to be literal. In fact, there are scriptures that indicate that some parts can be hard to understand.
  • The Bible never claims to be without error.
Now, to put this into perspective, I DO believe the Bible to be USEFUL and able to provide everything that I need to be a Christian. These are scriptural principles, that is they have a basis in scripture. I DO believe that the Bible was written by men and therefor it MUST contain error: even a lot of it. In the OT we can find a lot of bias and blame shifting as men blamed God for a multitude of atrocities such as the flood and various wars.

However, unlike Scott, I don't see revelation/understanding as a function for the church. The Holy Spirit was given that job, and I don't think it fit to fire him in favor of the Pope or any other man who seeks to be an authority to tell me what God thinks. :D

Now if you want to "set the record straight" for me, then it's pretty darned easy! Just show me in the scriptures where it says that I am wrong. Don't expect to sway me with anything else though: just the scriptures PLEASE.

Charity

Let's go racing boys !
It is not fiction, I was not saying that. It is symbolic. And none of the New Testament is in parables.
Christine I believe if you check there are quite a few parables in the new testament, I'm not sure that is what you meant to say but I just wanted to clarify it. When I think about symbolic I usually think of the book of Revelation as having a lot of symbolism in it and find that it is the most difficult to study.

I agree with Pete on his summary of the bible and it's accuracy. God doesn't make mistakes man does, and since man has done a lot of translation of the Bible I am sure that it contains some errors. I believe that the Bible is a very close account of God, Jesus, prophets, and the followers of the Christian religion.

Scott1

INow if you want to "set the record straight" for me, then it's pretty darned easy! Just show me in the scriptures where it says that I am wrong. Don't expect to sway me with anything else though: just the scriptures PLEASE.
Ummmm.... you know I love your faith Pete.... but you do understand the contradiction your last request poses:

You claim the scriptures are not without error.... but the only way you will accept another interpretation is FROM scripture. :confused:

Why can't someone just look to the Spirit to reveal something to them completely apart from any Scripture?

Since revelation/understanding are a work of the Spirit, do you accept every revelation/interpretation that claims to be a work of "the Spirit"? (Since I know you don't) Why not?

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Ummmm.... you know I love your faith Pete.... but you do understand the contradiction your last request poses:
No contradiction Scott. You have to test the Spirit.

I John 4:1 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. 2 This is how you can recognize the Spirit of God: Every spirit that acknowledges that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God, 3 but every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus is not from God. This is the spirit of the antichrist, which you have heard is coming and even now is already in the world.
4 You, dear children, are from God and have overcome them, because the one who is in you is greater than the one who is in the world. 5 They are from the world and therefore speak from the viewpoint of the world, and the world listens to them. 6 of truth and the spirit of falsehood. We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognize the Spirit NIV

You claim the scriptures are not without error.... but the only way you will accept another interpretation is FROM scripture. :confused:
The spirit moves as it will. Jesus gave us two rules to really life by: Love God. Love everyone else. You can do a lot of testing just by using this yard stick.

Why can't someone just look to the Spirit to reveal something to them completely apart from any Scripture?
I am sure that they have. I am not comfortable with that. Call me conservative. :D

Since revelation/understanding are a work of the Spirit, do you accept every revelation/interpretation that claims to be a work of "the Spirit"? (Since I know you don't) Why not?
No. Check the verse I just quoted. :D

science_is_my_god

Philosophical Monist
I am a Christian and do not believe this statement. Why?
  • The Bible never claims to be the "Word" of God. In fact, John 1 teaches us that Jesus is the Word.
  • The Bible never claims to be literal. In fact, there are scriptures that indicate that some parts can be hard to understand.
  • The Bible never claims to be without error.
Now, to put this into perspective, I DO believe the Bible to be USEFUL and able to provide everything that I need to be a Christian. These are scriptural principles, that is they have a basis in scripture. I DO believe that the Bible was written by men and therefor it MUST contain error: even a lot of it. In the OT we can find a lot of bias and blame shifting as men blamed God for a multitude of atrocities such as the flood and various wars.

However, unlike Scott, I don't see revelation/understanding as a function for the church. The Holy Spirit was given that job, and I don't think it fit to fire him in favor of the Pope or any other man who seeks to be an authority to tell me what God thinks. :D

Now if you want to "set the record straight" for me, then it's pretty darned easy! Just show me in the scriptures where it says that I am wrong. Don't expect to sway me with anything else though: just the scriptures PLEASE.
You put waaaaaaay too much faith in the scriptures. More than I did as a catholic. Why do you base all of your rationality on a book written millenia ago by primative people?