• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we see things so differently?

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
I am answering the OP in expressing my view that Buddhism is not right for everyone because they are genetically different and will always argue against beliefs that does not match their psyche. This is the reason that Buddhism fractured into diverse sub-religions. People wanted an alternative to suit their innate nature. Your innate nature made you a Christian first and when you rebelled against the existence of God, you turned to Buddhism.

I dont think any buddhist would argue that Buddhism is right for everyone, But as a buddhist ofcourse i will use my knowledge from it in a discussion. But i have never and will never say that everyone has to become buddhists, religion is a choice everyone can choose what fit them.
When it comes to always agrue agains every other religion or belief, that is not a true statment, personally i do not have any problem with other religions and i have even stated that i can not say they are wrong in their teachings, i just chosen to follow buddhism.

And to the pont of my conversion I did not do that because i was rebelling against God, I choce to walk an other path because i found not the truth that i thought would give me the teaching i needed, That said, i do not say Christian teaching is wrong for those who follow it, and i do not say God does not exist, I can not see a creator God, that is what my statment is.

The reason Buddhism do have branches is because after Buddha sakyamuni (historical buddha) there has been Arahants and Bodisattvas who have given their teachings and given the names of the different brances in Buddhism

To know my choices in life you must know me as a person.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Bingo!

I was having a similar discussion recently and this is one of the points that came up.

Light. No one sees the same thing exactly the same way. The light traveling from the object that hits our eyes is unique. No person receives the same light into their cornea; therefore, no two people see the world exactly the same way. It's an example from the natural world that describes the difference between what is Real and what is True.

Example: If you and I are standing in the same place at sunset, it's easy for us to agree that the sky is lovely shades of pink purple blending into blue.

This is assuming you are not red-blue color blind.

For someone who is red-blue color blind, their version of a sunset is very different from mine. I propose that both versions are Real. But the True sunset includes both Red wavelengths and Blue wavelengths of light along with many wavelengths of light that the human eye cannot detect.

Consider though, what if we are talking to someone who has never seen a sunset before, they may not believe us. they may not believe in sunsets at all.

Amanaki: You can take this concept to some very deep places when related to the spiritual / supernatural phenomena and experiences you have reported in other threads. :)

But I digress...

I think, everyone has their own Reality, but there is only one Truth.

Most people don't distinguish between what is Real and is True. This is because when 2 ( or more ) people are in the same time, the same place, it's easy to agree on what is Real.

Here's a another example:

There was an amazing picture i saw of a smoke cloud from a demolished power-plant that looks exactly like a person. I mean exactly. If I hadn't seen the picture, and someone tried to describe it to me, I would not believe it was real. And I propose, until I saw the picture for myself, it wasn't Real for me, but since it actually happened, it was still True. This is the difference between what is Real and what is True.

Two people can disagree on what is Real, but Truth is always true.

To demonstrate this idea from a religious perspective:

For me God is Truth.
For you, as a cultivator, maybe, Dao is Truth?
For Hindu, maybe, Brahman is Truth?

Using this to answer your question:

Two people from the same religion reading the same scripture often come to similar conclusions. If these two people have very similar life experiences and very similar prior knowledge on the subject matter, they will be even more likely come to the same conclusions.

However if these two people have different life experiences and vastly different knowledge on the subject matter, even if they identify as the same religion, they may come to two totally different conclusions.

If these conclusions are vastly different they may argue vigorously. Why? Because they both agree the book exists, they both speak the same language, and maybe they both agree the book is divine. But if they are coming to a different conclusion, someone has to be wrong. If they never come to an agreement, they are in a way, living in different Realities. And this is frustrating if these two people believe there is only one Truth.

My opinion: It doesn't matter which opinion reflects Truth. Who's right and who's wrong doesn't matter. Everyone can have their own reality. As long as everyone is healthy, happy, not hurting anyone; that's what matters to me.

View attachment 27259

Honestly, A very very good Answer to my question :) Thank you

Shantanu

I dont think any buddhist would argue that Buddhism is right for everyone, But as a buddhist ofcourse i will use my knowledge from it in a discussion. But i have never and will never say that everyone has to become buddhists, religion is a choice everyone can choose what fit them.
When it comes to always agrue agains every other religion or belief, that is not a true statment, personally i do not have any problem with other religions and i have even stated that i can not say they are wrong in their teachings, i just chosen to follow buddhism.

And to the pont of my conversion I did not do that because i was rebelling against God, I choce to walk an other path because i found not the truth that i thought would give me the teaching i needed, That said, i do not say Christian teaching is wrong for those who follow it, and i do not say God does not exist, I can not see a creator God, that is what my statment is.

The reason Buddhism do have branches is because after Buddha sakyamuni (historical buddha) there has been Arahants and Bodisattvas who have given their teachings and given the names of the different brances in Buddhism

To know my choices in life you must know me as a person.
If Buddhism by your own admittance is not right for everyone, it is clearly the wrong religious belief. A religion has to be right for everyone.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
If Buddhism by your own admittance is not right for everyone, it is clearly the wrong religious belief. A religion has to be right for everyone.
Why do you think there is more then one religion in the world?
The answer is, because no religion fit everyone, If you feel buddhism or other religions is the wrong beief that is your belief. But why do you think there is so many people on this planet that follow a religious teaching? Are they all wrong, and you correct?

Shantanu

The answer is, because no religion fit everyone, If you feel buddhism or other religions is the wrong beief that is your belief. But why do you think there is so many people on this planet that follow a religious teaching? Are they all wrong, and you correct?
The answer is no one has had the knowledge required to develop a religion that will acquire worldwide following. I intend to be that person.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
So Jesus, Buddha Sakyamuni, and all the rest of the once who have had teaching is in your view false? That is a big clame to come with is it not? Can you prove that they are wrong?

Marcion

gopa of humanity's controversial Taraka Brahma
If you nurture the flawed concept of religion in your mind, you will see differences everywhere.

Shantanu

So Jesus, Buddha Sakyamuni, and all the rest of the once who have had teaching is in your view false? That is a big clame to come with is it not? Can you prove that they are wrong?
The only proof that matters is the number of followers each religion has out of the 7.5 billion people on Earth.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
500 million buddhists
1,6 billion christians
1.0 billion hinduists
1,8 billion musims
sound to me like many peope are religious in the world,

Shantanu

500 million buddhists
1,6 billion christians
1.0 billion hinduists
1,8 billion musims
sound to me like many peope are religious in the world,
That leaves 3.5 billion people who are not convinced of these religions.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
That leaves 3.5 billion people who are not convinced of these religions.
Well there are many who are atheists that is true, then there are other smaller religions i did not put in the list.

But what i do not understand is why your "rules" should count for everyone else? Its ok you belive as you do, but many do not see it like you do.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I have noticed that we sometimes get very long discussions about topics within religion and even between different people from same religion there are different views of what they scriptires means.

In my own search for the truth i found that when i speak with buddhists from same branch (theravada) even then we can see a topic totally different. To me this is not strage because i see that what has happend is that we are on different level of understading or wisdom if you like. What does this mean? it only means that when we study the same teachings/ dhamma we will only understand the teaching up to the level we have risen to.

What is your thought of this question? (why do we see things so differently)

Everyone has to find their own truth.

Shantanu

Well there are many who are atheists that is true, then there are other smaller religions i did not put in the list.

But what i do not understand is why your "rules" should count for everyone else? Its ok you belive as you do, but many do not see it like you do.
A religion is something that explains reality. When that reality is explained, they will choose my religion of Existentialism - all of them.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
A religion is something that explains reality. When that reality is explained, they will choose my religion of Existentialism - all of them.
Well the dhamma of Buddha sakyamuni does that to me, so sorry but i will not convert to Existentialism

loverofhumanity

We are all the leaves of one tree
Premium Member
I have noticed that we sometimes get very long discussions about topics within religion and even between different people from same religion there are different views of what they scriptires means.

In my own search for the truth i found that when i speak with buddhists from same branch (theravada) even then we can see a topic totally different. To me this is not strage because i see that what has happend is that we are on different level of understading or wisdom if you like. What does this mean? it only means that when we study the same teachings/ dhamma we will only understand the teaching up to the level we have risen to.

I believe that we are all at different levels of spiritual development that’s all depending on our knowledge, how ardent our search for truth is and how much we act out what we learn.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
One possibility is that the universe might not be consistent. Most people think otherwise, but when you are dealing with someone who has a disagreement with you it can be useful to retain that possibility.

People are proud, and the desire to be right sometimes gets out of the car taking our opinions with it and runs ahead, gets lost and winds up in a variety of places such as museums and new restaurants.

Pride is confusing. When pride creeps in you won't feel pride directly but will sense an inexplicable hardening of your point of view. Unfortunately pride is inextricably tied to logic. I think you can't have logic without it. To surmount that your pride has to grow an extra layer and simulate humility. This thin floating film of humility is your only hope of finding out whether the universe is consistent, but it is easily disturbed like the surface of a glass of water is disturbed. When you can take pride in your humility then you can use it to investigate, until something disturbs it or the underlying pride.