• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do we kill animals if they attack us?

enchanted_one1975

Resident Lycanthrope
I appreciated the loyalty of companionship and have enjoyed the playfulness of the dogs that I have had in the past, even I have felt a bit more secure by their presence .. but NEVER could I equate that to the love and importance that I place on my sons or others of my family and friends.
My dog and I have saved each others lives. I don't share that bond with anyone else of any species.

IF_u_knew

Curious
In the case of the baby being mauled by the dog, I am not sure if it was the same case I followed last year ... but it was quite depressing to me that more ppl were upset the dog was being put to death than they were upset that a baby girl had been viciously killed. PPL were too focused on defending the animal that they seemed oblivious to the fact that a defenseless child was killed and in a HORRIFIC way .. no one who had anything to say on it really mourned the loss of the child and only mourned the dog <---- *that* is what I don't understand. I am glad they put the dog down no matter the reason why he killed that baby girl. I would be lying to say otherwise. *that* is the kind of disconnect I was referring to.

Ironic the lack of human decency complained of by those who would prefer the well being of a dog over another human life. That IS what I admit to not understanding here. It is weird to be accused of placing myself up on a pedestal for saying these things whilst those who would value the life of a dog over that of another human's well being are praised. :sad:

As for those who are defending their animals to me, I am unsure why. I said that I myself have had dogs that were special to me. And indeed, it was nice that they obeyed my commands, offered me protection, and even gave me affection whenever I desired it. It is truth, that we can not (or at least we should not) manipulate humans in such ways ... thus, I am not arguing pets here. My appreciation for animals though does not take precedence over my respect for human life ...

In cases such as the above, if it means so much to someone that a dog who killed a child was put to death, then perhaps some of you might want to carry out more of a selfless love for the animals and advocate them being allowed to live more naturally on the planet rather than domesticated for our pleasure (<--- because that IS what pets are for .. our pleasure) ... ???? ... then, the situation would have been altogether avoided.

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
The suggestion that we ignore the fact that we are enslaving an animal, then taking its life when it doesn't do as we want (taking into account that it's typically considered forgivable for a slave to fight back and is often considered heroic) seems way too inhumane to me.

Hmmmmm, my dog would have been destroyed if I did not adopt it. He can run off any times he likes.

Better yet, one of my cats just showed up on my door step and adopted me!

IF_u_knew

Curious
Hmmmmm, my dog would have been destroyed if I did not adopt it. He can run off any times he likes.

Better yet, one of my cats just showed up on my door step and adopted me!

Right .. I have to admit to not understanding that reply entirely myself. I am not a huge cat fan myself (only psychological after having gotten extremely ill from trying to save some sick kittens when I was younger), but I think it is adorable the way cats find my sister and make themselves at home with her. They, as well as their (gasps! pit bull *rolls eyes*) are not at all enslaved and are quite loving toward one another as well as toward all in the family. (personally, I don't throw caution to the wind and when my youngest son is around, they are gracious enough to leave the dog outside for both its sake and that of my younger son .... he has been bitten by a snake and 2 otherwise friendly dogs ... guess his calling is not in regards to animals :no:. Better to avoid the situation, no?)

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I would like some of you would have never thought to have used the word "enslaved" for any of my animals.At least for sure not for my many dogs and cats I have owned over the years.I dont think slave owners are concerned with serving the needs of their slaves.My Rotties especially Mandy girl wouldn't even stay in a room for even a few seconds that I wasnt in.I even let them lay in the bed with me if I was lying down to watch t.v before bed and my husband hadnt joined me yet.

And again as others have shared I too have a cat that found me at my front door with a litter of kittens.She was about a year old.Now at 17 she is arthritic cant jump or anything.She spends her days sleeping mostly in her cat bed behind our couch sun bathing.And again Im the one serving her.She can not step in and out of a ltter box.So we carry her and put her in it to see if she will or needs to go.But its daily that she uses the bathroom on the floor which we clean up.And I bring her food and water to her so she wont have to walk on the tile kitchen floor.She is far from my slave.

I could go on including the little Yorkie who slept in the bed with me every night.Who we had groomed to keep his hair form knotting regulary and took him to the vet to have his teeth cared for etc..

And not to mention all of them put together we spent thousands and thousands in medical on and they cost us too financially in damages to our belongings as well as many times they were an inconvenience for things like going on vacation ....

If they were enslaved it was a mutual thing.

Love

Dallas

MSizer

MSizer
In cases such as the above, if it means so much to someone that a dog who killed a child was put to death, then perhaps some of you might want to carry out more of a selfless love for the animals and advocate them being allowed to live more naturally on the planet rather than domesticated for our pleasure (<--- because that IS what pets are for .. our pleasure) ... ???? ... then, the situation would have been altogether avoided.

No, actually, it's not. Domestication is a symbiotic relationship that occured by natural selection. It is believed that animals were not forced into domestication, but that as small groups of humans followed herds to hunt, slowly but surely individual animals whose retreat response was weaker than normal developped relationships with humans, and their offspring naturally had the weaker retreat tendencies. By natural selection, these animals became domesticated. Similarly with dogs, canines who were less apprehensive about humans hung around to pick up food scraps, and over time, by natural selection of weak flight response, relationships were developped.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
No, actually, it's not. Domestication is a symbiotic relationship that occured by natural selection. It is believed that animals were not forced into domestication, but that as small groups of humans followed herds to hunt, slowly but surely individual animals whose retreat response was weaker than normal developped relationships with humans, and their offspring naturally had the weaker retreat tendencies. By natural selection, these animals became domesticated. Similarly with dogs, canines who were less apprehensive about humans hung around to pick up food scraps, and over time, by natural selection of weak flight response, relationships were developped.

Rignt and in many societies and religions in the past and currently some animals are actually worshipped.Considered Gods.

Forgive me I cant remember where it is maybe India that they considere cows sacred.So sacred they are allowed to roam the streets and people will actually bathe/or wash themselves in the cows urine.

Humans have benefited from relationships with animals and animals have benefited from relationships with humans.

From my limited memory and knowledge too my understanding cats in specific were highly regarded and considered sacred in Egypt for they kept rodents out of the grain storage areas.

Love

Dallas

MSizer

MSizer
Also, before you go criticizing pet owners, consider that they don't cram their pets into questionably healthy confinement and then kill them. That is what you endorse each time you eat a meat. I know my stance on this matter is not popular, but the fact that most people are not moral vegetarians reflects poorly on humanity IMO.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Also, before you go criticizing pet owners, consider that they don't cram their pets into questionably healthy confinement and then kill them. That is what you endorse each time you eat a meat. I know my stance on this matter is not popular, but the fact that most people are not moral vegetarians reflects poorly on humanity IMO.

I feel bad..I guess Im a hypocrite or maybe have double standards or standards conflicting.Because I eat meat..

But my animals also eat meat.I feed my animals meat..(the irony)

So we have that in common too.

Love

Dallas

MSizer

MSizer
I feel bad..I guess Im a hypocrite or maybe have double standards or standards conflicting.Because I eat meat..

But my animals also eat meat.I feed my animals meat..(the irony)

So we have that in common too.

Love

Dallas

I have to admit too that my animals eat meat, even though my wife and I don't. But I feel though that it's "less immoral" since they're adapted to eating meat only, so I don't see any way around it without affecting their health.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I have to admit too that my animals eat meat, even though my wife and I don't. But I feel though that it's "less immoral" since they're adapted to eating meat only, so I don't see any way around it without affecting their health.

Well its tedious and there is conflicting data.As far as humans eating zero meat.Most of us arent "trained" to survive with no meat at all.

I dont know if its "natural" or the most healthiest for humans to consume no meat sources whatsoever.

Some meat sources have so much power to the punch ounce for ounce over vegetation and (what else is their) that we have to worry about things such as anemia and little or unavailable sources for nutrients such as omega 3 etc..

Interesting note..My DIL has a Vitamin D deficiency..Vitamin D is found in high amounts in shell fish..I think shrimp..then a little sun contact..Or milk..which is out of an animal..along with small doses of sunlight.

Im not trying ot be "immoral" that I eat meat or serve meat to my family.Im afriad not to ..to be honest.

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..

Something just hit me too..

In your post previous how (in part) canines hooked up with humans involved hunting.

Maybe we are more like kinded.

If all humans became vegetarians then we would only be slauthering other animals to feed our pets..

Because I can gurantee you no dog or cat of mine is going to eat carrotts and cabbage or collard greens and survive.

They want chicken and tuna! LOL!!!They also seem to love the marrow out of bones of other animals..

Even though I did have a poodle growing up that thought raw potatoes were the end all and the be all of foods.LOL!!

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

MSizer

MSizer
Hahaha! Yup, no negotiator will ever convince my cats of ferrets that brocolli tastes good either!

M.

MSizer

MSizer
...Even though I did have a poodle growing up that though raw potatoes were the end all and the be all of foods.LOL!!

Love

Dallas

That's cute. One of our cats actually does like tomatoes and cucumbers. I'm like a new parent when it comes to my pets, they're always funny to me no matter what they do.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Pour some bacon grease on them.

They would lick the greese off the lettuce and leave the rest behind.

I have tried with many dogs throwing them treats of veggies and REJECTED.

Rare exceptions of course.

They WILL eat rice though..If you boil chicken and put the chicken and juice in there with it..(no bones of course)

Had to feed Blue that one time for a few weeks to help with some diahreah he had.Mandy was JEALOUS ..Bloody fight insued.!!!!

Love

Dallas

Reverend Rick

Frubal Whore
Premium Member
They would lick the greese off the lettuce and leave the rest behind.

I have tried with many dogs throwing them treats of veggies and REJECTED.

Rare exceptions of course.

They WILL eat rice though..If you boil chicken and put the chicken and juice in there with it..(no bones of course)

Had to feed Blue that one time for a few weeks to help with some diahreah he had.Mandy was JEALOUS ..Bloody fight insued.!!!!

Love

Dallas

My dog inhales food too fast to notice.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
That's cute. One of our cats actually does like tomatoes and cucumbers. I'm like a new parent when it comes to my pets, they're always funny to me no matter what they do.

Thats is very unusual..I would say let her have them in "moderation " of course..

They are funny..They are funny delight..

Love

Dallas