• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do some Christians say the Temple Must be Rebuilt for Christ's 2nd Coming??

e2ekiel

For Yashua to begin his physical political reign on Earth (assumingly after the age of Tribulations), he must rebuild the Temple as prophecied.

where is this "political" reign and "rebuilding" of the Temple prophecied? Is it in the Bible or an addition to the Bible?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
I believe this is called Replacement theology.

...sorry, just realized Sojourner already pointed this out.
I just realized you posted this.

In which case, I should tell you that you are wrong. Replacement theology would include the belief that the old covenant was replaced by the new. I never claimed to believe such.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Here's the part I'm interested in:
"Re-presenting" (as in anamnesis), is not the same thing as "the sacrifice made every day." Anamnesis is taking the singularity and pulling it into the present so that we may participate in it. "Sacrifice made every day" connotes more the idea of a "re-sacrifice" -- a "mulligan," if you will. The sacrifice cannot be made "every day," because it happened only once. The sacrifice, made once, can be, and is re-presented
every day (assuming that the Mass is said every day).

Perhaps if your rhetoric were a little more terse, it wouldn't take on the appearance of slander...
It is still the sacrafice for our sins. It only makes you think of the idea as a "re-sacrifice" because that it what you want it to. It happen, and it happens everyday. The Body and Blood is sacraficed to and for all.

InChrist

Free4ever
I just realized you posted this.

In which case, I should tell you that you are wrong. Replacement theology would include the belief that the old covenant was replaced by the new. I never claimed to believe such.

I was referring to the theology or belief which says that the church has replaced Israel, God is finished with Israel, and that God's promises in the OT to Israel no longer apply to the nation of Israel or now apply to the church. I believe such a view distorts one's understanding of history, prophecy and God's purpose and plans for the church, Israel, and the nations of the world.

I believe that now during this church age or the age of grace God does dwell in believers as indicated in the NT, but when the fullness of gentiles is complete (Romans 11:25) God will again begin working through Israel and this will include the rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem.

Pegg

Jehovah our God is One
Why is it that some Christians insist the ancient Jewish Temple must be rebuilt for Christ's 'second coming' to occur? I mean Jesus was the one who accurately predicted the Temples destruction 'not one stone upon another', Matthew Chp. 24, right? Where does He say...and I will not come again until you rebuild it etc?

because they read the hebrew scriptures about 'Isreal' being prophetically restored literally and are fully expecting these prophecies to take place on the Jewish race.

Awoon

I was referring to the theology or belief which says that the church has replaced Israel, God is finished with Israel, and that God's promises in the OT to Israel no longer apply to the nation of Israel or now apply to the church. I believe such a view distorts one's understanding of history, prophecy and God's purpose and plans for the church, Israel, and the nations of the world.

I believe that now during this church age or the age of grace God does dwell in believers as indicated in the NT, but when the fullness of gentiles is complete (Romans 11:25) God will again begin working through Israel and this will include the rebuilding of the temple in Jerusalem.

Jesus never spoke of a church age. He said the Kingdom of God was present and still coming.

InChrist

Free4ever
Jesus never spoke of a church age. He said the Kingdom of God was present and still coming.

Jesus was speaking to the Jews and you are correct in the sense that while Jesus was with them the kingdom of God was present with them. Yet, in the "Lord's prayer" He instructed His followers to pray, " Your kingdom come, your will be done on earth as it is in heaven...", I believe pointing to the time of the kingdom literally being on the earth when Christ will rule from Jerusalem.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb

You just explained a bit more of replacement theology. In short, the New replaced the old. I do not believe that. The Church is a continuation. Not a replacement.

Shermana

Heretic
Interesting how Jesus gives specific instructions on how to make offerings on an altar (make peace with your brother first), what a waste of breath if it was going to never apply again 3 days later.

InChrist

Free4ever
You just explained a bit more of replacement theology. In short, the New replaced the old. I do not believe that. The Church is a continuation. Not a replacement.

[FONT=&quot]I still think this idea of continuation is a type of replacement theology. I do not believe the church existed in the OT. God was working through a nation, specifically the nation of Israel. So to say that the church is a continuation usurps and replaces Israel as God’s elect vessel during that time period. In Matthew 16:18 the Lord Jesus said, “I will build My Church.” This is future tense and indicates that the building of the Church had not yet begun when Jesus said these words. John the Baptist stated the he baptized with water, but that Christ would baptize with the Holy Spirit and this is what took place on the Day of Pentecost, which I believe was the beginning of the church.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A Comparison and Contrast Between[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Israel and the Church[/FONT] Comparison & Contrast Between Israel and the Church

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
[FONT=&quot]I still think this idea of continuation is a type of replacement theology. I do not believe the church existed in the OT. God was working through a nation, specifically the nation of Israel. So to say that the church is a continuation usurps and replaces Israel as God’s elect vessel during that time period. In Matthew 16:18 the Lord Jesus said, “I will build My Church.” This is future tense and indicates that the building of the Church had not yet begun when Jesus said these words. John the Baptist stated the he baptized with water, but that Christ would baptize with the Holy Spirit and this is what took place on the Day of Pentecost, which I believe was the beginning of the church.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]A Comparison and Contrast Between[/FONT][FONT=&quot] Israel and the Church[/FONT] Comparison & Contrast Between Israel and the Church
The Church that Christ built, carries on the mission Israel served and still serves today. They both work at the same mission, just disagree on the outcome.

A continuation does not mean it replaces Israels purpose. Israel still has a purpose, which is to be a Nation of priest. A holy people. In which they still do, and will be counted among the first in the world to come.

Jews are the chosen people, in that it was through Jews God revealed himself, and through Jews the world has been blessed, as God promised to Abraham.

But as Christians, we know the Law is not the way.

chazz

The temple of God is already here. Jesus was the cornerstone that was rejected by the Jews he was the living stone, the cornerstone of the Church of God and those that seek after him are the living stones of the Temple of God. see peter 1

InChrist

Free4ever
"The Third Temple

In the last days, the Jewish Temple will be rebuilt. The Temple will then be desecrated in an act known as the "abomination of desolation." Both the prophet Daniel and Jesus refer to this act as a clear signal of the beginning of the Great Tribulation and the identity of the Antichrist.
"The time will come when you will see what Daniel the prophet spoke about: the sacrilegious object that causes desecration standing in the Holy Place." Matthew 24:15 (NLT)
This event, which will occur three and a half years into the Tribulation, will trigger the Great Tribulation, a time of unimaginable horror for the human race. Following this time period, Jesus will return triumphantly to establish His Millennial Kingdom.

Why All This is Important

Jesus told his disciples the primary sign of His soon return would be the restoration of Israel:
"Now learn a lesson from the fig tree. When its buds become tender and its leaves begin to sprout, you know without being told that summer is near. Just so, when you see the events I've described beginning to happen, you can know his return is very near, right at the door. I assure you, this generation will not pass from the scene before all these things take place. Heaven and earth will disappear, but my words will remain forever." Matthew 24:32-35 (NLT)

The fig tree Jesus refers to is Israel. It's been six decades since Israel was once again declared a nation against all worldly odds. Jesus promised that the generation which witnessed fulfillment of this prophecy would not die off until all the things of which he spoke came to pass. Given the past credibility of the Bible and God's Son Jesus Christ, we should fully expect these events to come to pass. What this means is that Jesus is going to return soon, within this generation. A wise person will prepare accordingly."

excerpt:

The Rebirth of Israel

The Rebirth of Israel

I believe the scriptures confirm that the temple will be rebuilt in Jerusalem.

Shermana

Heretic
Thats nice Shermana. But this isn't the thread. Go take your rhetoric to an appropriate thread.
So its appropriate for you to say on this thread that the Law is not applicable but not appropriate for me to disagree. Because a discussion about the Temple and Christ's return has nothing to do with the Law whatsoever and whether Christians' still must follow it. It's nice to have your cake and eat it too I must admit. The Sacrifices will resume once again when that day happens, so I say that the Law will apply indeed to those who claim to follow the Moshiach.

Hint: Don't make such claims if you don't want them challenged. It's very relevant whether Christians must follow the Law in accords to when the Temple returns. Isaiah 66 will in fact apply when that day happens, just like how Isaiah 53 applied when he first arrived.

Last edited:

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
So its appropriate for you to say on this thread that the Law is not applicable but not appropriate for me to disagree. Because a discussion about the Temple and Christ's return has nothing to do with the Law whatsoever and whether Christians' still must follow it. It's nice to have your cake and eat it too I must admit. The Sacrifices will resume once again when that day happens, so I say that the Law will apply indeed to those who claim to follow the Moshiach.

Hint: Don't make such claims if you don't want them challenged. It's very relevant whether Christians must follow the Law in accords to when the Temple returns. Isaiah 66 will in fact apply when that day happens, just like how Isaiah 53 applied when he first arrived.
This isn't a thread to argue over the law being needed to followed or not by Christians.

Shermana

Heretic
This isn't a thread to argue over the law being needed to followed or not by Christians.
Yeah, because the Temple and the return of sacrifices has nothing to do with the Law. So why did you say that Christians aren't bound to follow it on this thread? What was your reason?

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
Yeah, because the Temple and the return of sacrifices has nothing to do with the Law. So why did you say that Christians aren't bound to follow it on this thread? What was your reason?
Because I do not believe the Temple must be rebuilt.

You can state your idea that it has to and all. But your idea has nothing to do with me or any of my post.