• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

why do people want to spread their religion?

CharmingOwl

I don't personally proselytize but I let people know if they have negative energy or seem to be cursed. Of course though this leads to questions and stuff but it's never a feeling of pushing them towards something.

Why is it human nature for people to want to tell others about their religion?

I have no intention to proselytise or try and spread my religious beliefs by converting others to them yet I feel a desire to discuss them with others which is something I try to stop myself doing

Almost all people would be happy if more people shared at least some of their values, beliefs and preferences.

Our cognition is primed to build alliances, and the more people that share our values, the better the world would be (at least to some extent).

This may relate to religion, maybe your political views, moral positions, aesthetic choices or anything else.

siti

I have no intention to proselytise or try and spread my religious beliefs by converting others to them yet I feel a desire to discuss them with others which is something I try to stop myself doing
I don't have a religion but I do like to discuss people's religions because I am trying to make sense of the world and my place in it and I reckon there are valuable insights to be found in religious traditions.
I don't.
I think that it violates people's free will.
;)
I don't see how talking about one's religion violates the free will of anyone with intact thinking faculties. I am disappointed when I see religion exploiting the vulnerable, but for myself I certainly do not fear the proselytizer - I'm happy to hear them out (as long as they are not too outlandish) - they can't force me to a different opinion, let alone actions I would not otherwise have taken.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

why do people want to spread their religion?

There can be many different reasons. One potential reason is in resolving conflict. There is that strong sense that if everyone else shared one's set of values and rules held to be true and universal, a lot of problems in the world would be solved.
One potential reason is in resolving conflict.
A very positive aspect indeed, thanks for sharing it.

Regards

PureX

Veteran Member

We are a cooperative, collective species. We share information for the benefit of our social cohesion and our collective survival.