• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people leave any religion?

Muffled

Jesus in me
Personally, I just stopped going. I live alone and not under any pressure to stay. There is no reason in my opinion to stay in a religion when that belief and tradition does not define your worldview. It's a half and half relationship. If I can't say I Know God exists, it's just a belief and it flies in the wind.

So, people leave differently, but those who actually left most likely realized that's not how they see the world. Those that return probably knew they can't just Not believe something they Know is true.

Depending on how much the religion shapes, defines, and is their reality, the less they are likely to leave. I assume those in the struggle between the two leave loudly and those who just Know leave quiet.

I believe a world view tends to be an unGodly view and that certainly puts one at odds with any church except Satanism perhaps.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I believe this may not seem as drastic since I left on e Christian church for another. I left a church in a conservative main line denomination because they refused to get rid of apostate churches. I believe you can't abide with sin and consider yourself a Christian.

Yes, I'm sure that happens a lot ... switching churches or forming new ones. Here in Canada it happened to the moderate churches when they put acceptance of gays, or acceptance of female ministers into practice, as a vote by some central body. So when policies change, people will often move on, if they disagree to the extent they no longer feel comfortable.

My small Hindu sampradaya lost about 25% when we formally instituted tithing. Along with that there was a 'friends' category created. In practice, there isn't a lot of difference.

Dawnofhope

Non-Proselytizing Baha'i
Staff member
Premium Member
What do you feel are the most common reasons for leaving Baha'i?

That’s an excellent question. Having been part of a community of about 50-100 members over the last 30 years I’ve seen people come and go for various reasons. Two reasons stand out.

1/ The Baha’i Faith may not be what people thought it was before they joined. An example is that someone joins because they are attracted to the community or an individual, but then are put off by a particular teaching. For example they may be liberal leaning politically then discover we have aspects of our faith more closely aligned to religious conservatives.

2/ Peer pressure. It often comes from families who are concerned their loved one is joining a cult or something that is anti-Christian or whatever negative value is assigned to a religion with a strange sounding name. I imagine its similar for Westerners who become Hindu and find opposition within their family members.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
That’s an excellent question. Having been part of a community of about 50-100 members over the last 30 years I’ve seen people come and go for various reasons. Two reasons stand out.

1/ The Baha’i Faith may not be what people thought it was before they joined. An example is that someone joins because they are attracted to the community or an individual, but then are put off by a particular teaching. For example they may be liberal leaning politically then discover we have aspects of our faith more closely aligned to religious conservatives.

2/ Peer pressure. It often comes from families who are concerned their loved one is joining a cult or something that is anti-Christian or whatever negative value is assigned to a religion with a strange sounding name. I imagine its similar for Westerners who become Hindu and find opposition within their family members.

Thanks.

In the convert or western adoptive Hindu community, it's mostly just a moving on, because it was a fad, or like you said, they discover some reason it wasn't for them. Other than ISKCON, I don't think it's likely that family thought it was a cult, as Hinduism is fairly widely known.

In my own sampradaya, a common reason is that the expectations are more than they figured they would be, but it isn't really a leaving, just more a withdrawal into less involvement.

Fallen Prophet

The thread on leaving Christianity seems rather active, and I don't think Christianity is the only religion that has people leaving. It may not even be the one with the highest rate of leaving.

That said, there are two basic ways to leave a religion ... quietly, or slamming the door on the way out, with a gigantic fuss. I would think most leave quietly.

The reasons? many, obviously, but this may bring up more. In the case of my children, who for all practical purposes, have left Hinduism ... quietly. The reasons vary, but the main one is that nothing about it really captured them the way it did with me. But I'm fine with it. They kept the ethics implanted, and are all decent citizens.

I know quite a few folks who just sort of quit going. Interest waned, it didn't really matter, etc.

Thoughts?
Those who leave my religion quietly don't stop believing - they just don't attend.

Those who stop believing - however - tend to always make a big show of it.

I've had friends and family in the second category and it's really annoying.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Those who leave my religion quietly don't stop believing - they just don't attend.

Those who stop believing - however - tend to always make a big show of it.

I've had friends and family in the second category and it's really annoying.

Yeah, I don't really see the point of making a big show of it. RF is an example. Several folks who couldn't adhere to the rules have had to have that last post to tell everyone off before they leave. Many others have left quietly, unnoticed.

Fallen Prophet

Yeah, I don't really see the point of making a big show of it. RF is an example. Several folks who couldn't adhere to the rules have had to have that last post to tell everyone off before they leave. Many others have left quietly, unnoticed.
It's usually the nature of imagined slights in my religion.

They got offended by something arbitrary or benign.

I think they were just looking for an excuse to leave - so they blow that out of proportion - in order to shift blame or guilt or something.

It is sad that those who make a show of it not only never come back - but I can't even talk to them anymore because they mock my religion at every opportunity.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
It's usually the nature of imagined slights in my religion.

They got offended by something arbitrary or benign.

I think they were just looking for an excuse to leave - so they blow that out of proportion - in order to shift blame or guilt or something.

It is sad that those who make a show of it not only never come back - but I can't even talk to them anymore because they mock my religion at every opportunity.
Yup. Been there and done that. "Long time to hold a grudge." is usually what I say. It's healthier to move on.

Link

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The thread on leaving Christianity seems rather active, and I don't think Christianity is the only religion that has people leaving. It may not even be the one with the highest rate of leaving.

That said, there are two basic ways to leave a religion ... quietly, or slamming the door on the way out, with a gigantic fuss. I would think most leave quietly.

The reasons? many, obviously, but this may bring up more. In the case of my children, who for all practical purposes, have left Hinduism ... quietly. The reasons vary, but the main one is that nothing about it really captured them the way it did with me. But I'm fine with it. They kept the ethics implanted, and are all decent citizens.

I know quite a few folks who just sort of quit going. Interest waned, it didn't really matter, etc.

Thoughts?

In my case. I left Islam for 4 or 5 years, because I loved people to the extent I could not handle the concept of hell. This was a poem I wrote way back:

Say Islam was true
And I was a Jew
Would God torture me
For what I did not see?

In the name of justice
Pain as the flames burn
Days turn into weeks
Weeks into years
All for disbelief
I will have no relief

Billions of years pass by
Justice is still not served
All good is rejected
My good actions are ineffective
And I would not burn if my mind was reflective?

This is the creed that I use to follow
But now I realize such a creed is shallow
Whomever desires other than the true religion
Let him burn in the fire?!
As oppose to loving him, having compassion for him
Appreciating his good,
Honouring his struggles,
Being his friend,
No! No! That is not the way!

For God is enemy of those whom disbelieve!
Friend and Protector of those whom believe!
All are reduced to the lowest of the low!
Except - of course - for those all special and great believers!
Everyone but them, to hell they go!

All astray souls - be prepared for increasing burning!
For none but the guided will have peace!
Is that the remembrance that is suppose to bring ease?
Peace you say?
Bowing Five times a day!
To a Lord whom will watch humans burn in agony?
Having the believers laugh at them for the sake of an irony?

A Lord whom tortures everyone but the righteous guided?
A Lord whom loves not the disbelievers!
Hates them with a strong hatred!
And all this teachings is suppose to be sacred?

Most Merciful, Most Compassionate is he called by all!
But threatens all to hell, except those whom respond to the call?
If you have to be righteous to enter heaven.
What mercy was ever spread in creation?
Or is God accepting regret from a righteous person
Truly a show of ultra mercy, forgiveness, and compassion?
As if it's not justice to accept his regret and reformation!

At the end, O Lord of Islam!
If you are to burn me for this heresy
Then you truly were not a Lord of Mercy.
Not Worthy of Worship, not worth anyone's time.