• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do people believe in Creationism despite its lack of testable predictions?

Why do people believe in Creationism despite a lack of testable predictions?

• People do not understand why testable predictions are important

Votes: 16 48.5%
  • Creationism has merit despite its lack of testable predictions

Votes: 2 6.1%
  • Something else

Votes: 15 45.5%

• Total voters

Smoke

Done here.
People believe in Creationism because they think their religious myths lose their value if they aren't factual. It has nothing at all to do with science or falsifiability. When they try to defend their creation myth with science -- Creation Science/Intelligent Design -- they just end up making fools of themselves. Really, by casting it as a scientific question, they've already lost, because they've admitted the validity of a way of investigating the truth (scientific inquiry) which is completely at odds with their own (divine revelation). It's a measure of how clear their thinking is on the subject that they never seem to realize it.

joeboonda

I believe in Creation, not only because God's Word declares it so, but because all the scientific evidence I have studied completely debunks the evolution theory and completely lines up with God's Word: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I believe in Creation, not only because God's Word declares it so, but because all the scientific evidence I have studied completely debunks the evolution theory and completely lines up with God's Word: "In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth."
What does evolution have to do with creation?
Absolutely nothing.
Therefore all these people trying to compare the two are merely setting up strawmen.

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
Well, is it logical to suppose that science can ever disprove a Creator?

And although scientific method may be able to go a long way towards proving certain theories, it fails miserably in the "why" department, imho.

I thought science does a good job with the why.

I thought science put it out there and in case it wasn't correct in its theories it left it open for others to take the data and correct or finish it in order for it to be fact.

I thought it was religion (not any particular one) that doesn't answer the why.

lilithu

The Devil's Advocate
I thought science does a good job with the why.

I thought science put it out there and in case it wasn't correct in its theories it left it open for others to take the data and correct or finish it in order for it to be fact.

I thought it was religion (not any particular one) that doesn't answer the why.
Science NEVER addresses WHY. It only addresses HOW. "WHY" implies purpose and design.

That said, science does not "fail miserably" at "why" because it does not even address it. One cannot fail at something that one is not attempting to do.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Science NEVER addresses WHY. It only addresses HOW. "WHY" implies purpose and design.That said, science does not "fail miserably" at "why" because it does not even address it. One cannot fail at something that one is not attempting to do.
Bravo.

yossarian22

Resident Schizophrenic
are filled with so much adrenaline that they go into a rage and fight or put themselves near angry beasts because they are too arrogant or brave.
I doubt most people would fight a tiger bear handed. No matter how emotional
Emotion has its uses but I don't think decision making is one of them.
Eh, who says the decision has to be right? Its just there to quicken the process.
Perhaps it is great for making fast guesses
Yes that is what I am saying. If you do not have emotion you cannot thin-slice very effectively, as emotions change our view of the world.
but keeping your head free of emotion and running will increase your chances of survival more than running from fear.
Hardly. If you have no fear, then why are you running? Because you don't want to die? that is fear. I am not saying you should make all your decisions with emotion, its just very useful in certain situations.

rojse

RF Addict
I am going to say that some people believe in creationism because it gives them an inflated sense of importance over other creatures.

Thales of Ga.

Skeptic Griggsy
That Rosje is so true. And people lie in the name of creationism to protect morality. They see evolution as undermining morality.But they misunderstand survival of the fittest to be the strongest,etc. when it means change in genes.And selection gave us empahty which we ever refine to build moralty.
Merry Mithras Celebration!

LoganMacDonald

Because that's not how it was in the beginning. These answers to your questions are in the Bible. It was after the Fall of Man that God gave us the animals to eat. Before sin entered the world, it was how God wanted it to be but then he had to change a couple things after Adam and Eve had sinned by eating of the forbidden fruit God had told them not to eat of.

roli

Born Again,Spirit Filled
Firstly are there any testable predictions made by Creationism?

If there aren't why do people still believe in Creationism?
a) A lack of understanding of why testable predictions are so important?
b) There is sufficient merit in the structure of Creationism to warrant belief in it even in the abscence of testable predictions?
c) Something else?

Creationists primarily believe in God first, the revelation of creation, Jesus Christ ,scripture etc follows after the Holy Spirit comes upon them.
When God touches the heart of a person through the power of the Holy Spirit to those who reach out and call on him out of a pure, broken and contrite heart, reason, testable scientific perdictions beome irrelavant as a means to confirm the existence of God

Dirty Penguin

Master Of Ceremony
When God touches the heart of a person through the power of the Holy Spirit to those who reach out and call on him out of a pure, broken and contrite heart, reason, testable scientific perdictions beome irrelavant as a means to confirm the existence of God

You assume we are out to prove or disprove the existance of God when we try to explain evolution to you? Why is that? I have not come a cross a scientist that was set out to disprove the existance of a god.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Creationists primarily believe in God first, the revelation of creation, Jesus Christ ,scripture etc follows after the Holy Spirit comes upon them.
I disagree.
Since science is not out to disprove the existence of God it cannot become irrelevant to that extent.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think it comes down to people not fully understanding or grasping the importance of testable predictions. Perhaps to do that, you almost need to have studied the history of science.