• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do non-muslims hate to be called Kuffar?

A Vestigial Mote

Kuffar just means Disbelievers in the message of Islam. The opposite of the word Kuffar is Mu'minun that means Believers.

I've never been called this... I am a non-believer, and now, with the knowledge you have given me, if someone is to someday call me this I'll be sure to have the same reaction I guarantee I would have had before discovering this - I will staunchly refuse to care.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
For example iam Kaafir(singular) in the message of Xtianity, Budhism, Hinduism. I dont mind when xtians/catholics recognizes me as infidel. Iam not saying that iam believer of xtianity, hinduism and buddhism so in that case iam happy to be labled Kaafir/Infidel.
Yes. I do not have any problems with the labels Kafir, Infidel, pagan, etc. I am that.
because it's used by some scholor Muslims as hatefull label , which close to "enemy".
It is closer to 'mortal enemy'.
Repentance is good and all should repent.
Just because Adam knew Eve and God could not stomach it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sakeenah

Kuffar just means Disbelievers in the message of Islam. The opposite of the word Kuffar is Mu'minun that means Believers.

For example iam Kaafir(singular) in the message of Xtianity, Budhism, Hinduism. I dont mind when xtians/catholics recognizes me as infidel. Iam not saying that iam believer of xtianity, hinduism and buddhism so in that case iam happy to be labled Kaafir/Infidel.

I think a non muslim might be a offended because of the context it is used in the west especially by Isis&co . I don't see why one needs to say kafir when talking to a non Muslim who doesn't understand Arabic.

I think it was mentioned before kuffar is plural..the singular is kaafir. In the Arabic language words have a root. Kafir comes from the root word ka-fa-ra
Words in Arabic have a meaning from a linguistic point view and often also a meaning from the Qur'an point of view. And often can mean different things depending on the context. For example the word sauwm (fasting) linguistically means to withhold and in the Islamic context it means to fast..to withols from eating,drinking from sunrise to sunset. In the Qur'an both are used when Mary withheld from talking for 3 days and the other time when Allah orders us to fast for 30 days.

The word kuffar is jam3(plural) the singular is kafir. The word linguistically means to cover..the example that's often used linguistically is when a farmer covers the seeds in the soil. If we look at the meaning of kafir in the Qur'an its when Allah is referring to those who disbelief in a certain context. Allah also uses yaa 3ibaadi ( my servants) in a certain context and in other verses Allah says ' yaa ayuha naas' oh people. All referring to non Muslims.

So if one understands the different sciences in Arabic like the grammar,context, rhetoric you will understand that it isn't an insult..but the people who use it as an insult or to disrespect are to blame.