• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do Muslims believe that Jesus did not die on the Cross?

ZooGirl02

Hey everyone. I know that Muslims do not believe that Jesus died on the Cross. Some say that He was not crucified at all. But why is this when there is historical evidence that Jesus really was crucified? Also, the Romans were experts at crucifixion so they knew when someone had died or not. By the way, I'm not here to debate, I'm just sincerely interested in knowing the answer to this.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Hey everyone. I know that Muslims do not believe that Jesus died on the Cross. Some say that He was not crucified at all. But why is this when there is historical evidence that Jesus really was crucified? Also, the Romans were experts at crucifixion so they knew when someone had died or not. By the way, I'm not here to debate, I'm just sincerely interested in knowing the answer to this.

I believe it has something to do with the fact as the prophet and messiah, he could not die a normal death but was simply raised to Heaven...

But has you said, it just doesn't fit the historical data as well as the Gospels and Epistles of those who lived through what happened.

I think this site may help:]
it-was-made-to-appear-like-that-to-them-islams-denial-of-jesus-crucifixion-in-the-quran-and-dogmatic-tradition

My position is that he died on the cross.

Last edited:

ZooGirl02

I believe it has something to do with the fact as the prophet and messiah, he could not die a normal death but was simply raised to Heaven...

But has you said, it just doesn't fit the historical data as well as the Gospels and Epistles of those who lived through what happened.

I think this site may help:]
it-was-made-to-appear-like-that-to-them-islams-denial-of-jesus-crucifixion-in-the-quran-and-dogmatic-tradition

My position is that he died on the cross.

Yes, I also believe that Jesus died on the cross and also that He rose again on the third day. That said, I am hoping a Muslim comes along to give an answer to this question.

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want
Yes, I also believe that Jesus died on the cross and also that He rose again on the third day. That said, I am hoping a Muslim comes along to give an answer to this question.
Hi @ZooGirl02 :)

There might be different answer depending on what muslim you speak with :) But one answer to your question could be this.

Was Jesus Crucified on the Cross?
If Jesus could in principle die, the focal question becomes whether crucifixion—as attested in the Gospels and affirmed by historical scholars—was the cause. The locus classicus of the debate is Q4:157, for which various translations are provided below:

Haleem—[Jews] said, ‘We have killed the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, the Messenger of God.’ (They did not kill him, nor did they crucify him, though it was made to appear like that to them; those that disagreed about him are full of doubt, with no knowledge to follow, only supposition: they certainly did not kill him.)

Sahih International—And for their saying, ‘Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah.’ And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but another was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain.

Yusuf Ali—That they said (in boast), ‘We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah’; – but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not.

This notoriously difficult verse is the only reference to the crucifixion in the Qur’an, and the apparent denial of the crucifixion is, as is clear in Haleem’s and Ali’s renderings, a parenthetical statement modifying the primary clause speaking of the Jew’s claim of killing Jesus. The underlined portion represents the fundamental exegetical challenge of the verse. The passive verbal phrase shubbiha lahum (“caused to appear”) is a hapax legomenon (appearing only once in the Qur’an) that has generated numerous interpretations which can be grouped along two basic understandings of the verb.[17]

You can read more here.
"It Was Made to Appear Like that to Them:" Islam’s Denial of Jesus’ Crucifixion | Reformed Faith & Practice
(rts.edu)

rational experiences

Veteran Member
If Jesus man was imaged in the clouds and seen in the clouds then it was proof. That proof was Muslim accepted. As it had been seen.

As the science technology was Egyptian owned. Proof human DNA genetics were being sacrificed in Jeru Salem. Because of the practice.

Was not their nation owned genetics.

As it is their namesake teaching about human genetics.

They knew human life was still living also. Why they said life was proven sacrificed but had not died. As it was medical advice. Also correct advice.

The physical life changes were also notated as proof.

Grateful that the heavens changes had saved life the teaching.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
ZooGirl02, you will find that many people trust their sacred writings more than historical evidence or scientific research. Asking why Muslims don't believe Jesus died is like asking why Christian fundamentalists don't believe in evolution.

IndigoChild5559

Muslims believe that God's messenger Jesus, son of Mary, on whom be peace, did not die yet. God tells us in His own words that Jesus was raised up by God and that he was neither killed nor crucified (see Qur'an 4:157-158). Furthermore, God tells us that in order to foil the plans of the unbelievers, God recalled Jesus and raised him up (see Qur'an 3:55). Muslims understand from these Qur'anic passages that Jesus did not die.
Do you know why God allows Baha'i's to exist? So that Muslims will know how Christians feel. :) Do you know why God allows Mormon's to exist? So that Christians will know how Jews feel. :)

This little bit of levity was brought to my mind by your being so sure of things based on your sacred text.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Why do Muslims believe that Jesus did not die on the Cross?

Simply, because Jesus did not die on the Cross, he was put on the Cross but delivered from it alive, his bones were not broken and he was secretly treated for his injuries by his friends.
Right?
This is exactly as Jesus had foretold that he was not going to show any further Signs to the adulterous Jews except the Sign of Jonah, very much also in the Bible. Please read the Book of Jonah if one has not already done intently. Right?

Regards

ZooGirl02

I was hoping that a Muslim would come on here and give a serious answer to my question. It makes no sense why they would deny the crucifixion and death of Jesus on a cross when there is historical evidence for it.

IndigoChild5559

I was hoping that a Muslim would come on here and give a serious answer to my question. It makes no sense why they would deny the crucifixion and death of Jesus on a cross when there is historical evidence for it.
ZooGirl02, the believe Jesus did not die on the cross because that is what the quran teaches, and for Muslims, the quran is the inerrant word of God. It's like asking why do Christians believe Jesus rose from the dead. People trust their sacred books, whether it is the Torah, New Testament, Vedas, Quran, Book of Mormon, Urantia, or whatever.

ZooGirl02

ZooGirl02, the believe Jesus did not die on the cross because that is what the quran teaches, and for Muslims, the quran is the inerrant word of God. It's like asking why do Christians believe Jesus rose from the dead. People trust their sacred books, whether it is the Torah, New Testament, Vedas, Quran, Book of Mormon, Urantia, or whatever.

I understand trusting their sacred books but why trust a book that is supposed to be sacred when the evidence is clearly against it?

IndigoChild5559

I understand trusting their sacred books but why trust a book that is supposed to be sacred when the evidence is clearly against it?
There is no more evidence against the quran than there is against teh New Testament. You trust the New Testament, but I could show you contradictions within it, contradictions with the Tanakh (OT) and many example of misquoting of prophecy or quoting it out of context. Yet I doubt any of that evidence against the New Testament is going to shake your belief, right?

ZooGirl02

There is no more evidence against the quran than there is against teh New Testament. You trust the New Testament, but I could show you contradictions within it, contradictions with the Tanakh (OT) and many example of misquoting of prophecy or quoting it out of context. Yet I doubt any of that evidence against the New Testament is going to shake your belief, right?

Well, this thread is specifically about the crucifixion of Jesus and the vast majority of scholars agree that Jesus was crucified. So, that's one mark against the Quran and one mark for the Gospels.

mariashare

Unlike the Christian view of the death of Jesus, most Muslims believe he was raised to Heaven without being put on the cross and God created a resemblance to appear exactly like Jesus who was crucified instead of Jesus, and he ascended bodily to Heaven, there to remain until his Second Coming in the End days.

Last edited by a moderator:

muhammad_isa

There is historical evidence that Jesus was hung on the cross.
Most historical accounts said that he died on the cross.
That is not surprising, as it explains in the Qur'an

""It Was Made to Appear Like that to Them:"

hence no contradiction at all.