• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do most people need religion?

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Whatever...I'm sure you're a nice enough person if I were to meet you, but I don't see much point in discussing your comments related to spiritual subjects or taking them seriously because you seem to be change too fast and often to keep up with.
So because I explore things and follow the path where it takes me, I shouldn't be taken seriously? Um, okay. I haven't really changed in a long time. I just broadened my horizons.

DavidFirth

So because I explore things and follow the path where it takes me, I shouldn't be taken seriously? Um, okay. I haven't really changed in a long time. I just broadened my horizons.

The only right path we believe in is the narrow path spoken of by Jesus. Few there be that find it.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
It seems that most people I meet need religion.
Do you have a 'need' for religion and why or why not?
An added question I ponder is:
Does the good that comes from religion outweigh the bad?

I love questions like these, so very thought-provoking! Thank you for it, Gerry. :D

Me, I do have a need for religion, to be honest. :oops:

Why? Religion's always been very important to me, because it helps me better understand myself and Life. Through it, I'm able to relate to the world, the universe, and to others, creating a very deep and real bond. Different religions themselves are built upon very soul-stirring questions: Who am I? How did I get here? What's my purpose in Life? What'll happen to me whenever I die? How am I to treat others?
Plus, different religions (and the Sciences, too) tackle the Unknown, even Unknowable. I'm always extremely eager to embrace something unknown or unfamiliar to me, rather than blithely dismiss it. The questions regarding the Unknown or Unknowable, I think, are rhetorical. Perhaps, they weren’t meant to be definitively answered, but were put out there simply to get human beings to think about and have translate into everyday life, y'know?

In my own experiences, the good DEFINITELY outweighs the bad. No question! All of the different religions I've looked into and/or studied have given me insights into my own nature, the world, and how to approach other people. Different religions are practical. In this, they are good and worthy and beautiful. Absolutely!

Last edited:

Tammie

Gerry said:

Yes, Gerry that is a good question.
For me, I happen to believe what DavidFirth said: The only right path we believe in is the narrow path spoken of by Jesus. Few there be that find it.

This, for me, is not a religion, it is what I believe. There is no need to argue with another person about my belief... I don't force or try to make someone else believe that too. For me, when I truly got away from not holding much credibility on what people's commentaries were regarding the bible, or listening to preachers, and read it for myself, what I believed started shaping my life and I began to know for myself the truth of it and this is the foundation of it. The more I read it, the more I learn. Not to mention the things that I learn from others, after I have done this. If I were to search through different religions, it would mean that I would not know what I believed and was searching for what to believe in.

InChrist

Free4ever
I may be able to take you seriously in many ways, but I don't think spiritually. Like I said, I think you are probably a nice enough person and may even agree about a lot of things. I just can't see that you have any on-going peace or spiritual stability and I've been praying about that for you along time. I sense that you are one which the scriptures refer to who is tossed around by every wind of doctrine.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I may be able to take you seriously in many ways, but I don't think spiritually. Like I said, I think you are probably a nice enough person and may even agree about a lot of things. I just can't see that you have any on-going peace or spiritual stability and I've been praying about that for you along time. I sense that you are one which the scriptures refer to who is tossed around by every wind of doctrine.
You're just upset that I'm no longer a Christian, which is probably what you were praying about - my conversion to Christianity. It's quite rude of you to make assumotions about my spiritual stability when you have no idea. As I said before, I actually haven't changed my views in a while. I merely broadened them. My views were in line with the form of Hinduism I follow for quite some time.

DavidFirth

"As of 2010, Christianity was by far the world's largest religion, with an estimated 2.2 billion adherents, nearly a third (31 percent) of all 6.9 billion people on Earth," the Pew report says. "Islam was second, with 1.6 billion adherents, or 23 percent of the global population."
World's Muslim Population Will Surpass Christians This Century, Pew Says

That was from the result of polling, in other words, what people said, not whether they are actual Christians or not. Many people define being a Christian far differently than others.

Like I said, no accurate conclusion can be drawn from that. And didn't Jesus Himself say that many of those who think they're going to heaven won't actually get there? Yes, He did.

Tammie

DavidFirth said: Like I said, no accurate conclusion can be drawn from that. And didn't Jesus Himself say that many of those who think they're going to heaven won't actually get there? Yes, He did.

Please do not take this as an offense. I mean no harm to you; in-fact, I would be proud enough to call you my brethren, but it does not say that anywhere in the bible. Even the righteous ones will not go to heaven.

John 3:13 - And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.

Acts 2:29 & verse 34 - Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day.

For David is not ascended into the heavens: but he saith himself, The LORD said unto my Lord, Sit thou on my right hand,

Unfortunately, these are the doctrines that have come out of main stream churches about when we die that we go to heaven...and this is why I have learned to stay away from churches but still keep the Sabbath in homes with other believer's for the fellowship . As I read the bible myself, with no other commentaries from people regarding the bible...you will find that those in the 1st resurrection will reign with Christ 1000 years (Millennium) on this earth, and after the Millennium and (the second resurrection and Judgment period) , the New Jerusalem comes down from God out of heaven in the form of a new heaven and new earth.

Revelation 20 – the last sentence of verse 4-6 - and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.

But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.

Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

Revelation 5:10 - And hast made us unto our God kings and priests: and we shall reign on the earth.

Revelation 20:7-8 - And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,

And shall go out to deceive the nations which are in the four quarters of the earth, Gog and Magog, to gather them together to battle: the number of whom is as the sand of the sea.

Revelation 21:2 - And I John saw the holy city, new Jerusalem, coming down from God out of heaven, prepared as a bride adorned for her husband.

Your on the right path though, keep it up. I love to see it when someone is on fire for the Lord. :)

InChrist

Free4ever
You're just upset that I'm no longer a Christian, which is probably what you were praying about - my conversion to Christianity. It's quite rude of you to make assumotions about my spiritual stability when you have no idea. As I said before, I actually haven't changed my views in a while. I merely broadened them. My views were in line with the form of Hinduism I follow for quite some time.
I don't care about you converting to Christianity. I don't think this religion or that religion offers any hope at all. I am praying for your peace. I just happen to believe there is only one Prince of Peace..

Muffled

Jesus in me

I believe in the case of Abrahamic religions it is due to the fact that every one sins in the eyes of a God who judges sin and we need to get off the hook somehow.

I believe I have a need for the Holy Spirit to keep me from sin so I don't die.

I believe for Abrahamic religions nothing bad comes from them. Bad things come either from a person's own sinfulness or demonic oppression or influence.

Muffled

Jesus in me
I assume it's mostly a need for social interaction. To belong to something larger than yourself.

Being mostly antisocial myself, I've little need for religion.

images

I believe social interaction is a result of the love of God bringing people together in a loving relationship. It isn't that you don't need people but that you don't love people.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe social interaction is a result of the love of God bringing people together in a loving relationship. It isn't that you don't need people but that you don't love people.

I love people, just preferably at a distance.