• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do many Christians who are not inerrantists frequently quote the Bible?

Agnostic75

For purposes of this thread, I am defining inerrancy as "God inspired and preserved the Bible free of errors except for scribal and copyist errors."

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
A lot of people in modern society who aren't christian quote the bible all the time, probably without even knowing that that's what they're doing.

Aside from actual passages there are all kinds of English sayings and idioms that originated in the bible:

Escaping by the skin of your teeth (job)

Falling flat on your face (Samuel)

Reading the writing on the wall (Daniel)

Nothing new under the sun (Ecclesiastes)

The fly in the ointment (???)

Straining the gnat and swallowing the camel (NT)

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
There's a lot of good stuff in the Bible. Lots of beautiful phraseology, and beautiful wisdom. Why WOULDN'T we quote from it?

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I just quoted the bible 16 times in a 1500 word essay. Its so easy to slam the bible for the sake of arguements for essays ;)

footprints

For purposes of this thread, I am defining inerrancy as "God inspired and preserved the Bible free of errors except for scribal and copyist errors."

For the same reason many inerrantists (lol), like to quote scientific text. Which is; Faith in the belief, that it is correct and beyond any reasonable argument or debate opposing it. That it fits well in the analogy which is trying to be explained, or, there is enough evidence to suggest it is worth quoting and believing.

Last edited: